Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tongue sticking out

coppperbelle
May 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
My sister adopted a Yorkie today and I noticed that he has a habit of sticking his tongue out. He is not panting and it looks perfectly normal for him however I have no experience with this breed and was wondering if it was common. The lady that she adopted him from said it was just his character to do this. His teeth look nice and straight, he has a nice bite, it is just a bit of tongue that hangs out. If I touch it he retracts it . He is 7 months old, neutered up to date on vaccines etc...

Puppyluv
May 22nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Now I know he's not a Yorkie, but I have never seen a picture of Mr Winkle without his tongue hanging out. (eg: http://maggieplace3.tripod.com/mrwinkle.JPG) In an interview with his owner, she said: “One vet said for really little dogs it’s not that unusual for their tongues to hang out a little bit. It could be neurological, but he eats fine with it… it’s a fully functioning tongue.”

glasslass
May 22nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Hee Hee! My first thought was Mr. Winkle too. You beat me to it!

abudamunky
May 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM
one of my kitties does the same thing. she'll just look up at you and a little bit of her tongue is sticking out between her teeth and when u touch it, it goes back in. i think it's just a personailty thing. i've seen a few other cats of mine do it but not as much as Soxy, it seems to happen more now that she is growing near her double digit years. :p

dtbmnec
May 29th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Leo does it too...

Prince did it....

The old Tom at my boyfriend's place does it allllll the time!

It must be normal (the old Tom is like 80 years old I swear!) and doesn't seem particularly detrimental...

I'll see if I can get some pictures of Leo doing it...

Megan

schnorkiemom
May 29th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Make sure your pup is not dehydrated. Stress of being adopted into a new home, long car ride from old home, etc.can increase the metabolism. We've had dogs that did that tongue thing, too. One just had a poor alignment in his bite and the other was dehydrated (newly adopted at the time).

Kupotek
May 30th, 2006, 05:08 AM
For a kitten it's perfectly normal, but make sure theyre drinking plenty of water .

My kitty did that a lot but I imagine if my tongue was a grooming tool it might hang out of my mouth now and then as if I were holding a brush in my hand hehe...