Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog nails

Kopio
January 1st, 2004, 08:32 PM
We have a two and half year old female cocker spaniel. Sshe is a good natured dog. Since she was a pup we have trimmed her coat and nails ourslef. She endured but did not enjoy either chore. For the last three haircuts due to other oblications we had a professional clip her and do her nails. Or at least we thought she was getting her nails done. I believe they were done the first time but for the last two times nothing. Now she is very skiddish about her feet. I am afraid that they folks at the clipping place scared her and prehaps even cut the nails too shor the first time. Now she won't tolerate any approach to her nails. Thhis has become obvious to us now that we have put in a hard floor. We noticed we could hear her walking and checked her feet. The nails were not starting to curl but were close.
When I attempted to trim them she panniced and will not allow me or my wife to hold her feet. Before we tramatize her is there anything we can do to settle her down. My neighbor suggested a sleeping pill or something but this seems ewxtreme and not a solution!
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Gerald

Carina
January 2nd, 2004, 07:02 AM
Ooh, I wouldn't use a sleeping pill!! Baaad idea. Some human meds can be quite dangerous for dogs.

Maybe you just have to start from the beginning again...do one nail a day, lots of treats, hold her paws & treat her without doing anything to them, like that. Maybe even start by holding her legs for a minute, and working down to her paws...?

I have a Rottweiler that was an adult rescue. He's a pretty hard dog and HATES having his nails done. I have to muzzle him and we sit on him. Saying good doggie & stuffing treats in his face makes no impression on Dutch!
I don't think he would lay teeth on me, but I do not want him to even think it's an option...

But my other rescue Rottie is a nervous little thing and mit took quite a while to get her to accept nail trimming. I took it slow and now she's relatively OK with it. So I guess you have to be patient...

And maybe not take her back to that grooming place again!

amaruq
January 2nd, 2004, 09:17 AM
My Dane hated having her nails done. Vet showed me a trick.
Try to get the dog to lay on their side... (you can also use a calf drop (let the dog stand and fold yourself over the dog grab the front and back legs closest to you and they will drop)) Course lots of praise and hugs and kisses. When down use your forearm at the neck...put no pressure but it will hold them there as they need their head to get up. you want to prevent that. Then play with the paws and use comforting voice.
I clip the dogs nails once a week...just take the tips off.
Please don't use sleeping pills!!!!!!!!! no need for that...or Take them to the vets.

Lucky Rescue
January 2nd, 2004, 09:57 AM
I fear that the groomer must have "quicked" your dog, or been rough in restraining her. Yes, you'll have to start all over and go very slowly with her now.

Cut up a hot dog or something else very special that your dog just LOVES, and will ONLY get when you touch her nails. Wait until she is relaxed and you are petting her. Just touch a nail with your finger for half a second, and immediately stuff a treat a in her mouth and praise. You'll have to work on this inch by inch.

Also, you might want to try dremeling her nails. Many dogs object much less to this kind of grooming. The clippers do cause pressure and a lot of dogs don't like it.

For a very good and detailed article on dremeling, go here. (http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merenski/doberdawn/index.html)

Go to the toolbar on the left and scroll down to the Dremeling article.

Kopio
January 2nd, 2004, 12:46 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. We will go back to the treat for feet method. When we first started with Brandy, she got peanut butter for a treat. Kept her occupied and distracted very well. She loves peanut butter. I have looked at the dremel method and may do that for her. Our old dog, also a cocker was very calm with the hair clippers round his feet but as we played alot outside he rarely needed his nails done. My wife is able to massage Brandy's feet and does so everyday. So we are part way there already.

Thanks again.