Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eating on my carpet

Puppyluv
May 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM
This post starts with a foodie intro, but then switches over to behaviour, so I didn't really think this belonged in the "food forum" so if I misplaced it here, I appologize:

Layla has, for about a year now, been eating Wellness Whitefish and Sweetpotato. All along, while reading posts on this forum, I thought about the benefits of switching to Raw. I never did though, because she adored her food and you could see it was agreeing with her health-wise. That was true at least, until they switched the formula. Although she still maintained her shiny coat, shed less, smaller poops, etc. She didn't like the taste anymore, and lost all will to eat it (even though she used to absolutely love it) so I thought this would be a good opportunity to switch to Raw. I got a whole bunch of books, read them all the way through, read a whole bunch of threads on here, and then started her raw food diet. She really likes it, her appetite improved again, and she has maintained her health benefits. BUT and this is a BIG BUT (no, not MY big butt....:D ) now that the pieces of food are bigger than her kibble (not to mention that I used to moisten her kibble, so it was more like a stew, rather than pieces) she insists on picking up a mouth full of food, carrying it over to my living room carpet, dropping it, lying down and then eating it. She then heads back to the bowl and repeats. This is REALLY gross. I have to wet-clean my carpet after every feeding because I can just imagine the things that would grow there if I didn't. I've tried to sit on a chair near her, and when she tries to take the food away, tell her "no, leave it there" (a command she knows with toys or sticks, meaning that i dont want her to carry it elsewhere) This sort of works. She drops the food, looks at me, starts to chew really really slowly, and then sureptitiously (or at least she thinks it is) carries it over to the carpet. I tell her "no! To your bowl!" (another command she knows) and she sulks back to the bowl, only to repeat this process.
I truly think she likes the food, when she gets it to the carpet, she seems delighted in the taste, she licks the carpet when she's done (which I stop too, because I don't really want her doing this either) and she licks her bowl clean.

Is there a better way to get her to stop this? Should I start grinding her food? Should I just go back to kibble? I don't know how long I can last with having raw meat and fish on my carpet, it's kind of gross, and visitors gawk when they see it.

mafiaprincess
May 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM
A lot of people feed raw outside for sanitary reasons.

rainbow
May 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM
Is there any way you can put up a baby gate to keep her in the kitchen (or any other room without carpeting) to eat?

technodoll
May 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM
my dogs do the same with their raw food, and no way to stop them. if i feed in their crate and shut the door, they don't eat. solution: pick up one of those cheap "door carpets" (you know those rectangular ones you put in front of doors to pick up mud & dirt? most have a rubber backing) and let her know THIS is her place to eat, and nowhere else. you both win. she gets to eat on the carpet (most dogs need "grippage" with raw), and it's super easy to clean in the bathtub or washing machine, or hose off. also, my dogs like to eat on the balcony, which is carpeted. no problem when there is snow, and for the rest of the time the rain always washes away any ickies, it's a perfect solution. good luck!:crazy:

Puppyluv
May 21st, 2006, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately, my condo is pretty open, and all my doorways are french doors, so babygates won't fit. :(

Thanks sooo much for the suggestion Technodoll! I'm going to go get a mat today! I really hope this works, because nothing else is. I tried her on my balcony today, she was not impressed by the rain. She likes to play in the rain, but she doesn't like to eat in it, it seems. What with the amount of rain in Montreal lately, I don't think that will be viable option.

I will let you know how it works out!:fingerscr

technodoll
May 21st, 2006, 04:44 PM
good luck puppyluv! it might take a few tries until your girl catches on that "the mat" is her place to eat, but she's a smart girl and with persistance, i'm sure it will work. maybe place it where she usually likes to eat, on top of your carpet, that might help? put down before a meal and pick up afterwards... oh and i got mine at Jean Coutu pharmacy a few months ago for $1.99, they had a whole bunch of nice ones on sale, at that price you can get two or three to rotate when one is damp from washing? just a suggestion.
ps: at the petstore yesterday, my girl got raaaave reviews for her super-thick, plush and heavenly soft n'shiny coat, people kept asking what i fed her, LOL! :D now if only we humans could eat raw meats... maybe i would finally get a nice head of soft shiny hair! (KIDDING!)

Sneaky
May 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hi there,
I solved that problem with my dog easy,
I placed a square peice of carpet purchased for
5.99 under the food bowl.
No more carrying kibble to the carpet.

Puppyluv
May 21st, 2006, 10:11 PM
Hmm interesting Sneakypete. I'm not sure if that would work for Lay, as she likes to lie down when she eats Raw (something she never did with kibble).

On a positive note. I headed to Jean Coutu (shameless plug here!) and picked up 3 of those giant, carpeted doormats. I tried one for dinner,and it worked perfectly! I put her bowl at one end, and she would pick up food, turn around, drop it at the other end, lie down and eat, then repeat. It was kind of funny because she was just turning circles the entire time. But she seemed really happy with it! I thought it would take ages for her to figure out, but it only two corrections before she stopped going over to my carpet.
One thing that she seems picky about, is that the bowl couldn't be on the carpet itself, just right next to it :rolleyes: crazy dog...

BoxerRescueMTL
May 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Hi puppyluv! Yay for Layla eating raw :) My guys do the same thing. I do the same as technodoll, except I just have a tonne of crappy towels that I throw down at meal times (on top of the carpet for Dudley since he is the one who has to eat on the carpet no matter what). I do a lot of laundry but it's for a good cause ;) When they get something really messy like a whole fish then they have to go outside. Good luck!!!

BoxerRescueMTL
May 21st, 2006, 10:15 PM
Oops posted at the same time! That's good that you found a solution :)

technodoll
May 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM
yayy puppyluv! i'm so thrilled it worked, and so quickly too :D :D