Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The DaVinci Code

Stacer
May 21st, 2006, 10:23 AM
I went on friday night to see the DaVinci Code. Despite all of the negative reviews that it has received, I think it was a damn fine movie. Critics are saying there is too much dialogue and not enough action to keep the viewer engaged. The move is based on a novel in which there is alot of dialogue, the concepts in the book require alot of dialogue. I guess the fact that 60 million people have read the book (me included), creates a ton of expectation. Visually, the movie was very close to how I pictured it in my head as I read it. My husband and 2 of our friends agreed. As well, the movie's storyline stayed very close to the book, mind you they can't cram all the details into a 2 1/2 hour movie, but they covered all of the important parts and did it very well. If you go to see it, I would recommend not going into it with your preconceived notions from having read the book. Be open to being entertained by a Hollywood movie.
And on another note, all of the controversy surrounding the movie seems to be blown out of proportion. Ron Howard did a good job at keeping the movie on track and didn't go off on any tangents on the more controversial details of the book, he kept to the main story of Mary Magdalene and even softened the ending a wee bit. Everyone should be happy. I recommend it, for sure.

glasslass
May 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM
I just read the book last month and am looking forward now to the movie. I view this as another history-based novel/movie same as those that have been based on the Civil War, etc. Yes, it will be controversial because it's centered around religion, but the art history, and that of the Templer (sp?) Knights, Free Masons, etc. really make it so fascinating. I can't imagine seeing the movie without first reading the book.

CyberKitten
May 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
I read the book when it 1st came out - and also read Dan Brown's 1st bovel (Angels & Demons) in which Robert L is a character. I have yet to see the movie but I think it is prob best to read the book 1st.

I really enjoyed the book and despite the reviews, look forward to the movie as well. Dan Brown's other books are also quite good. I think it's a boon for both the art community and religion actually, all comments to the contrary.

gomez
May 21st, 2006, 03:19 PM
We also saw it last night - I thought it was slow, not enough action - the book read to me like a thriller, this was more of a slow paced docu-drama...

I did love the photography, and the settings, although I found it all to be too dark sometimes, funny that the only bright scenes were in London (?!)

My husband had not read the book and was very confused a lot of the time, many "what happened to...." type questions, and thinking about it, they did drop the plot a few times, I won't say where, they are spoilers!

I also thought Tom Hanks is possibly the worst choice for Langdon they could have made - I mean, the first description we get of Langdon is that he is a "Harrison Ford type"... I know Ford is too old to play him now, but I even would have preferred Clooney, Jackman or Crowe - Hanks is not an action guy!

Stacer
May 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
I agree, Tom Hanks was not the best choice. I personally prefer little known actors to play roles like that, there's no identifying them with past characters they've played. And as for Ian McKellan as Leigh Teabing, another bad choice, he looks nothing like the description in the book. Audrey Tautou as Sophie Neveau was a good choice, as well as the other French actors in the movie, made it feel more authentic. Tom Hanks was too "Hollywood" for me.
Since reading the book about a year ago, I've read several other books along the same vein, Holy Blood, Holy Grail (authors took Dan Brown to court), The Second Messiah and will soon be reading the Messianic Legacy (same authors as Holy Blood, Holy Grail). There are tons of books on this subject. It is all very compelling stuff. I, for one, cannot get enough, I love the mystery and controversy surrounding it all, and can honestly say that I question every history lesson I ever received.

CyberKitten
May 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM
The thing that boggles my mind is really none of this stuff is new - I recall haering it all 20 yrs ago!! I guess Brown has just made ppl more interested in it.

Stacer
May 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
CK, that's what my boss was saying. Back in to 70s, early 80s when Holy Blood, Holy Grail was originally published there was a small uproar. He's really delved into this stuff with a vengeance (a lapsed Catholic). This information is definitely not new, Dan Brown has sparked renewed interest.

erykah1310
May 22nd, 2006, 12:34 PM
The thing that boggles my mind is really none of this stuff is new - I recall haering it all 20 yrs ago!!
ITs the same as Passion of the Christ! THE stories have been around forever but it takes some one to renew the interest! Im glad they did. Havent seen DaVinci Code yet and will prolly wait till it comes out on movie to rent it! Not a catholic so i have no idea what the controversy is!? However Ilove movies that stir up controversy!

CyberKitten
May 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
I have to admit I cheated and dled the movie - I liked it tho I like the book better.

Hunter's_owner
May 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I really enjoyed the movie, I also read the book (and liked it more than the movie). My bf watched the movie without reading the book, but he liked it also.
I recently read Angels and Demons, and enjoyed it a lot more than The Da Vinci Code.

CyberKitten
May 27th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I've read all Brown's books- enjoyed them all. If you liked the Da Vinvi Code, you will love Kathy Reich's new book Cross Bones which involves Masada and some questions about the messiah of Christianity as well. It is different from Brown's work of course and has much anthropological detail but I was ill last night so could not sleep and could not put it down.

Stacer
May 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Another book that is along the same vein is Labyrinth (fiction) by Kate Mosse. It's a different take on the holy grail. A good read.

Beau'sMom
June 8th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I recommend it, for sure.

Thanks for the review :thumbs up I wasn't sure if it was worth seeing in the theatre or if I should wait for it to be released at the video store ... I think we will go see it now :)