Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

General cat questions

Dano_61
May 20th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Hello everyone

I am a new cat owner and never so happy, we love him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, he is a perfect little guy, i do have a couple of questions.

First, whats the best way to dispose of old kiddie litter and how often should i replace it.

I bought a lead and a secure post for my cat, i wanted to let him play in the backyard, i put the lead on him and let him out today and i watched him.What a disaster, he ran wild and the lead stopped him, he got scared and and the lead got caught on the picnic table, the collar came off and i had a bugger of a time catching him. Is there a better way to do this ?
He loves the outside.

Dan

Lucky Rescue
May 20th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I use clumping litter and keep a garbage bag next to it. I scoop the litter daily and when the level gets low or it's too soiled, I dump it all out and put it all in the garbage.

You must never leave a cat outside with a collar and leash on. They can easily strangle that way, or as you see, escape.

If you really want to take your cat out, you must get him a harness specially made for cats, and slowly get him used to wearing it. He will eventually make the connection that the harness means going outside, so will learn to like it.

Welcome to the board!:)

CyberKitten
May 20th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Absolutely concur with Lucky! You can buy wonderful harnesses and leashes of all colours for cats but they must be supervised and you must go outside with them since accidents can and will happen - even when you are there as I discovered when my meezer was a kitten and lost her footing on something for a few seconds (that seemed like an eternity).

You can make special outdoors areas that are closed in to protect your cat - sort of like a cat run if you will but more suited to the needs of a cat. I also have a stroller for my cats that subs as a carrier - tho they prefer their own carriers (except when the word V-E-T is heard, lol)

Good luck!!

Sneaky
May 20th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Hi there,
in regards to the kitty litter question, I bought myself
a Litter Locker. Its great.
I scoop twice a day into the locker, and twist it away.
I Empty it once a week on garbage day.
The cat box litter gets dumped entirely and replaced
once a month.

jesse's mommy
May 20th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hi there,
in regards to the kitty litter question, I bought myself
a Litter Locker. Its great.
I scoop twice a day into the locker, and twist it away.
I Empty it once a week on garbage day.
The cat box litter gets dumped entirely and replaced
once a month.

Dumb question -- I don't have any cats -- is the Litter Locker kind of like the Diaper Genie for babies?

OntarioGreys
May 21st, 2006, 12:09 AM
Dumb question -- I don't have any cats -- is the Litter Locker kind of like the Diaper Genie for babies?
Yes very much like

Dano_61
May 21st, 2006, 04:09 AM
Hello

JD was never or ever will be unsupervised outside, i was watching the whole time, i never thought he would react the way he did when i opened the door, he was on the lead the whole time. I am trying to think of a way to build a cat run but the backyard is not that big and because of the design of the sliding doors not easy to do.
Thank you for your help on the kiddie litter question, i am cleaning the box once a day and i have been topping the box up when needed.

Dan

satchelp
May 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM
This site might be helpful:

http://alt.xmission.com/~emailbox/catrun.htm

Sneaky
May 21st, 2006, 09:43 PM
Yep, similar.
Litter locker is a plastic barrel shaped thing.
At the top you put a ring in it, which holds 1 really really
long back. You tie the end ina knot and loop
around the inside tie peice.
Then you fit the round spinner back in the barrel,
and the bags roll around it.
You scoop the poop in, twist the spinner, and away it goes.
Then, when you empty it, you open it up, cut off the bag and tie
and trash. Retie the end and voila back to it!

Litter locker

http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=1600