Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bad leash choices..

mafiaprincess
May 19th, 2006, 09:37 PM
It really bugs me to see people walking their dog on a flexi leash with a gentle leader.. or a flexi leash and a prong.. Or today, as we came home from the park.. a flexi and a choke chain.

Very dog aggressive GSD tries to lunge at us, we stay a safe distance back.. and the dog gets snapped back to the owner as it is pulling 2x as hard..

I just feel bad for the dogs, and don't want to be a busy body pointing out what is obvious to me to them to help educate..
I've done that on dog food before when people have seemed really lost with mixed results.. so I really don't want some big dude freaking out that he knows better..

It's just hard sometimes when you feel sorry for someone's dog.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 19th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Are flexi leashes those retractable ones so the dog can walk twenty feet in front of you. I just prefer a regular leash myself and a regular collar for Joey. I hate walking by someone with one of these leashes and they just leave at long and dont bother to pull their dog in.

I would only consider using one if I knew we had lots of space and arent too many other dogs around - just for regular street walking though I am not so sure about.

mafiaprincess
May 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah a flexi leash is like the name brand of retractable ones.. So there's always pressure on the leash.. so with a GL, or correction collar it's in constant correction..
Which makes me feel sorry for the dog..
Or I've heard too many horror stories on flexi's breaking.. which scares me some when there's a dog agressive dog in your face.

Or the times you go to petsmart and someone has let the dog wander 20ft away oblivious..

Prin
May 20th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Boo broke the flexileash we got for Christmas one year on the first day we tried it. :rolleyes:

All the people I have met with flexi leashes have no clue. The dog is just running around in total control with the owner calling and burning his/her fingers trying to pull the leash back in by hand.:rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
May 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM
We don't use the flexi leash with Jesse any longer. But when we did use it, she really wasn't bad with me, but then I'm VERY strict with her when we walk. She stays near me, by my side and doesn't wonder. I make sure I'm in control not her. Now with Jim, that's another story. She's like Daddy let's me do whatever I want! Jim thought she was fine, but I told him if he can't keep her under control with it he shouldn't be using it. So Jim and I talked about it and figured it would be best to use one leash and one leash only so we discontinued the flexi leash. I just think it depends on the dog and the owner. I actually like the regular leash better. It's easier to hold for me, but for me walking Jesse either was fine becuase I treated the flexi leash like a regular leash and didn't let her decide what was going on. :evil:

HunterXHunter
May 30th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm using a regular leash right now (my dad uses it with the Gentle Leader, I use it with a harness), but I was actually planning on getting a flexi leash because it would give Hunter more freedom to move around, but I guess I won't anymore...

Since we're on the topic of leashes...anybody have bad experiences with the leather leashes?

Lissa
May 30th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I really don't like Flexi-leads. I know I have told this story before but when my neighbour was walking her beagle puppy on one, it snapped and he was hit by a car and died. They are dangerous for both the dog and people, especially if the dog is wearing a training aid. Most people think that they are doing their dog a favour by letting them have more space but most of the time, you end up teaching your dog bad leash manners. I would rather have Dodger off-leash and under voice control than put him on a Flexi-lead.

I love leather leashes...really, they are the best. The only downside is that when they get soaking wet, it stains Dodger's white parts - but it comes off easily. The leather leashes are so soft and are great for training since I can just fold it up in my hand (less bulky). Originally the leather leash was only for training but it quickly became my regular everyday leash!

Esaunders
May 30th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I :love: love:love: my leather leash. Its rolled leather, has fabulous grip, is less inclined to stretch than flat leather and is nicely pliable after begin worked in with some leather conditioner. I found it at Super Pet.

It has the added advantage of being a great doggie lasso. It'll hold a loop better than a flat leash, which can be a great advantage if someone's dog has slipped its collar.

SnowDancer
May 30th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I absolutely refuse to use a flexi-leash. Have had one too many dogs come around the corner with owner no where in sight - and who have absolutely no control over the leash. We have had many leashes with our Eskimo - big teeth and husband who doesn't pay attention - but the leather leash, which I do not let my husband use, is my favourite and has stood up very well. The only time I have ever mentioned choice of food to someone was one day at PetSmart while picking up cat's litter I saw people with an Eskimo in their cart and food with cobs of corn decorating the label - along with 3 different brands of digestive enzymes and packages of puppy pads. The people didn't speak English, but I showed them my guy's picture, pointed to the corn on the bag and then to the digestive enzymes and puppy pads. They got the point - Eskies are very sensitive to corn.

Lissa
May 30th, 2006, 04:05 PM
but the leather leash, which I do not let my husband use, is my favourite and has stood up very well.

:D CLASSIC and very very true!:p