Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Sad Goodbye to My Maggie

crsk49
May 19th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I haven't posted because I am so sad and I can't stop crying. I had to put my 15 yr old black lab to sleep last Friday. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Sure she was old, but I miss her so much. She had lots of fatty lumps but her heart was strong. She started having seizures caused by a brain tumor, but the vet controlled them with medication. Suddenly, she couldn't support her back legs and she couldn't control her bowels, wouldn't eat or move. It happened so fast. I looked into her eys that morning and I just knew. I couldn't let her suffer anymore, but I keep having nightmares about it. We brought her home and buried her in her favorite spot and planted flowers and her picture. She was my best friend, she loved to swim, chew on her bones, fetch, lay in the sun with me; she was my constant companion. I just can't stop crying. Does the pain every go away?

the gang
May 19th, 2006, 03:50 PM
first i would like to say how sorry i am:sorry: i know how you feal i lost my cocker 2 yrs ago to cancer she would have been 11, i rescued her from when she was a pup, i still to this day look for her and think of her i have a very hard time talking about her even after 2 yrs, we do go on the pain is there and we controll it it is very hard i know , but time does make it a bit easier, so good luck to you i hope things get a bit better:grouphug: brenda, dakota, nicky, diesel and rosie, all min pins and rescues that no one else wanted.

AndyOZ
May 19th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Hang in there. You know you did the right thing.

For me it was 11 days ago, he was my best mate - we spent every day together.

Its very hard.

Andy

chico2
May 19th, 2006, 05:06 PM
crsk49,losing a loving faithful friend is heartbreaking and I know at the moment you feel like you'll never be happy again,you miss her so much..:sad:
But the pain with time will ease and you'll think of her with a smile on your face,all the happy days you had together.
Feel comforted knowing you gave her a wonderful life and when in the end,life became to hard for her,you did for her,what any loving owner would do...she's at peace now,your little guardian :angel:

Mishkamax
May 19th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I'm so sorry, you did the right thing, for me it was two months 3 days ago and not a day goes by without me thinking about him, the tears have started to dry up now, but I miss him so. It will get better, I promise, but little by little. Max went almost the same way as Maggie and so quick too, but the pain will lessen and you'll start to remember all the funny quirky things she did, and even have a little laugh about it albeit tinged with pain.

Let your tears flow, its the best way. I retraced all our favourite walks and just remembered all our great times together. I placed Max in the Pet cemetery and still go back and have a little look at him, I don't know why but it made me feel a little better.

It will get better and my thoughts are with you.:grouphug:

- Ramona

Now Cracks a Noble Heart;
Goodnight Sweet Princess, And Flights of Angels Sing Thee to Thy Rest...

crsk49
May 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Thank you for all your kind words and thoughts. My heart goes out to all of you for your losses too. It is so hard, Maggie is all I think about. I keep hoping to wake up from this, but instead keep having the same nightmare of screaming at our vet not to do it. I know it was the right thing, but even as I write that, I don't believe it, at least not yet. We have a 4 yr old weimeraner, who misses Maggie too. I am trying to pay even more attention to Rudy, but then I feel guilty. I guess it will just take time..... Thanks all...
Carol

glasslass
May 19th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. No the pain doesn't go away, but it does ease and become balanced with the happier memories. Fortunately, over 15 years together, you'll find you have many, many more of the good times to look back on. Right now, the grief & sense of loss can be overwhelming. Take comfort in knowing you did the right thing and were there for her. You didn't let her down. It's the last act of love. So hard for you, but best for her.

CyberKitten
May 20th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I am so sorry for your loss! It is now some 4 yrs since my bunny died and I stil lthink of him all the time. (as well as other animals in my life that are at the Bridge but he was so very special!).

My heart and prayers go out to you!