Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

submissive urinater

zoe's mom
May 19th, 2006, 12:15 PM
hello all! i, once again, have a question.

Zoe is doing very, very well! she's gotten comfortable and no longer cries when i leave. however, she is what my vet has deemed a "submissive urinater". her advice was to ignore her when i get home when she's going nuts, and to ignore her when she urinates (submissively, not actually pottying) so that she learns that going crazy isn't the way to greet me. However, the result of this is that she now pees about 5 times when i get home because i ignore her. I open the door and call her, then she meets me outside and gets her initial "accident" out of the way. but since i've been trying to stop her from peeing altogether and ignore her until she calms down, she now pees every time i pay attention to her when i get home, even after her initial outside accident. plus, she's added the bonus of jumping on things before she pees and has been "submissive" on my couch, my boyfriend's couch, and my bed! i feel like its best to just control the accident instead of trying to stop it, but if anyone has any suggestions, i'd love to hear them!

SnowDancer
May 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Our first mini Dachshund did this - we were his 4th home by age 1 so although he was most definitely an Alpha dog - especially once he realized he had found his forever home, he only weighed 10 pounds and of course did not have that big of a bladder. Also as it turned out, he came to us with 4 bladder stones. He would jump up for his hug when we (mainly I) came in and I had to be ready for the bit of urine that would come out - he wouldn't empty his whole bladder, just was so excited and relieved that we were home. I met a lady on the subway with her mini and she asked me if she could ask a very embarrassing question re her mini Dachshund - same problem. Eventually as he settled in the problem resolved itself. My Plan B until that happened I am afraid to say was to hold a garbage bag against my knees to save my suit skirts and stockings - although I think the sharp little claws did more damage than the urine so saved them as well. He lived at the vet's for 6 months before we got him - he had been adopted out to a few homes but returned when people realized he was not a "stuffed toy" but a very big dog in a 10 lb. body, so was also did submissive peeing with vet each time he was returned as he knew them. After about 6 months it stopped. There is absolutely no way I could ever not acknowledge my dog's excited greeting when I come home. I know many behaviourists will say that one should ignore the dog, well I just can't - somebody is glad to see me! My current dog has SA - now that is more of a problem for me. Dachshunds are a form of terrier so who knows maybe problem will resolve itself if you hug him on entry.

SnowDancer
May 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Our first mini Dachshund did this - we were his 4th home by age 1 so although he was most definitely an Alpha dog - especially once he realized he had found his forever home, he only weighed 10 pounds and of course did not have that big of a bladder. Also as it turned out, he came to us with 4 bladder stones. He would jump up for his hug when we (mainly I) came in and I had to be ready for the bit of urine that would come out - he wouldn't empty his whole bladder, just was so excited and relieved that we were home. I met a lady on the subway with her mini and she asked me if she could ask a very embarrassing question re her mini Dachshund - same problem. Eventually as he settled in the problem resolved itself. My Plan B until that happened I am afraid to say was to hold a garbage bag against my knees to save my suit skirts and stockings - although I think the sharp little claws did more damage than the urine so saved them as well. He lived at the vet's for 6 months before we got him - he had been adopted out to a few homes but returned when people realized he was not a "stuffed toy" but a very big dog in a 10 lb. body, so was also did submissive peeing with vet each time he was returned as he knew them. After about 6 months it stopped. There is absolutely no way I could ever not acknowledge my dog's excited greeting when I come home. I know many behaviourists will say that one should ignore the dog, well I just can't - somebody is glad to see me! My current dog has SA - now that is more of a problem for me. Dachshunds are a form of terrier so who knows maybe problem will resolve itself if you hug him on entry.

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM
At this point it sounds more like "excitement urination" rather than "submissive".

Here's a good tip from a training site:

-----------------------------------------------
The best treatment for excitement urination is to prevent your dog from becoming overly excited in the first place. You can do this by exposing your dog to the stimulus that excites him, over and over until it no longer excites him. Most likely, your dog gets excited and wets when you return home. If so, simply ignore him for several minutes. Don't even look at him.

Then leave again for a few minutes, return and ignore, leave, return and ignore. Keep doing this until you can see that your dog is not only unexcited, but is actually getting bored with the whole thing. If excitement urination is a problem when visitors arrive, have them do this too. When your dog has calmed down and is no longer excited when you come in, then very quietly and gently say hello. If any signs of excitement or urinating appear, quickly exit and repeat the coming-and-going routine. A rapid sequence of heel-sits will capture your dog's attention and channel his excitement to the game of heeling and sitting instead of urinating. Remember to ignore all excitement urination and never scold or get angry at your dog when it occurs.