Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick dog

joyce
January 1st, 2004, 01:16 PM
7 year old male lab mix 100+lbs walking with tail between legs hunched over with nose close to ground with shakes. Is eating small smidgens of dog treats and drinking minimally - not all that interested in eating or drinking but will when given it. Very lethargic - wants to be left alone. Not salivating or gasping for breaths or wining/crying but in obvious discomfort. What can it be?

Lucky Rescue
January 1st, 2004, 01:33 PM
Your dog could have bloat - a fatal twisting of the stomach. The hunched back is a sign of pain.

Take him to the vet NOW!!!! What are you waiting for, since you do know he is in pain.

This is URGENT.

Luba
January 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM
Dogs often to not cry/whine/whimper when they are in pain. They simply tolerate it most of the time. Their behaviours change, they're not their usual self.

Any change in a dogs appearance like hunching / arching the spine is a very good sign the dog is in pain and suffering.

This dog needs help NOW! Please go to a vet.

Shaking/trembling is a sign the dog could be in shock or it's major organs are shutting down and it's in terrible pain!!

AND please don't say there are none open on New Years because there are emergency clinics open 24-7-365!

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2004, 01:46 PM
It could be life threatening! That dog needs a vet hours ago!

mona_b
January 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
OMG...I can't for the life of me understand why people do that.They see their pet is in pain and don't bother taking it to the vets.I'm sorry but this really bothers me.We are not vets here.But then again you don't need to be one to realize that this poor dog is in pain.VETS ASAP..

Lucky Rescue
January 1st, 2004, 08:03 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why people do that

Right. I wonder if these people woke up and their legs were paralyzed, or if they were unable to stand straight because of intense pain if they would sit and ask for answers on message boards, or go the doctor. Duh.

Just because animals can't complain does not mean they do not SUFFER and they have only us to count on. Too bad so many of them are disappointed.

Carina
January 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM
I hope it wasn't bloat. If it is, most likely the poor dog is dead by now... :( :(
That is supposed to be one of the most painful, horrible ways for a dog to die. A friend here lost her elderly Great Dane. He bloated in the middle of the night, by the time she woke up and rushed him to the ER, it was too late. He died on the way with his head in her lap. She was heartbroken and I'm almost tearing up thinking about him now.

I too do not understand why someone doesn't get an animal that's obviously in great distress to a vet NOW. Even if you don't have money. The priority should be,
1: SAVE ANIMAL.
2: Figure out how to pay for it.

Luba
January 1st, 2004, 08:17 PM
Hi Joyce

As you can see everyone is concerned about your dog (but thats a good thing :) )

Could you give us an update please with what the vet said?
Will he be okay?

Carina
January 1st, 2004, 08:21 PM
It could also be an obstruction of some sort...Labs are notorious for eating stuff they shouldn't!

Yes Joyce, we are concerned & wish only the best for your dog!
Please post an update...

mona_b
January 1st, 2004, 09:44 PM
Yes.Bloat is very deadly.My friends St Bernard died of it.Bloat is something that is in deep chested dogs.Great Danes,St Bernards,Rotties.Labs and German Shepherds.Afghans,The list goes on.Here is a site on Bloat and has the other breeds who are prone to it.And what causes it.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Breedhttp://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Breeds%20At%20Greatest%20Risks%20At%20Gr eatest%20Risk

joyce
January 2nd, 2004, 05:02 PM
Thank you to all of you who responded to the "sick dog" message.

Thankfully, the dog is doing MUCH better. He is not displaying any of the symptoms stated in the earlier message and is eating, deficating, peeing, wagging his tail, standing fine, and very much interested in what's going on around him.

If this ever occurs again, he will be going right to the vet!
Thank you all for your wonderful responses. May you and your animals have a happy, healthy and peaceful 2004!

Luba
January 2nd, 2004, 09:45 PM
Joyce you should still make a vet trip, don't wait to see if it happens again.

Do some general blood, urine and stool samples!

Trust me be preventative at this stage!

Very happy that he's feeling better though