Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shaving your cat in the summer

MartiniGIrl
May 19th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I was just on a site where a woman posted pictures of her poor cats that she shaved. She says they are outdoor cats and need to be shaved for the summer in order to keep cool. First off I dont believe in having an outdoor cat, but is it just me, or do you not find this to be cruel???

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/MartiniGirl18/cat.jpg

catsnatcher-CDN
May 19th, 2006, 08:57 AM
This woman is ill-informed. The hair protects the cat from the heat and therefore should not be shaved in the summer or if it will be exposed to the outdoors during the hot months!

I shave one of my cats (hairball and matting issues) but only in the fall and he is an indoor cat who won't let me touch him.

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Shaving cats then leaving them outside - I shudder to think of the mosquito bites the poor thing will endure.:mad:

LibbyP
May 19th, 2006, 10:57 AM
sounds/looks to me that she just doesn't want the fuss and muss that comes with having med/long haired cats:( little does she know now they are more exposed to the elements etc..., well we could look on the bright side, now she can see if there are any sores or scratches from being outside:) /:mad:

Luvmypit
May 19th, 2006, 11:56 AM
That is just wrong. Its not her fault shes misinformed but she certainly could have asked. And why do groomers not inform clients of this?

Oh and seriously this thread could be considered risque if you read it wrong ;)

MartiniGIrl
May 19th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Im pretty sure she had a groomer do it. to not one, but both of her long haired cats.

LibbyP
May 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Oh My Goodness, Luvmy pit, you are sooo right:o never looked at it that way

rainbow
May 19th, 2006, 03:47 PM
This is so sad. :sad: It's also cruel and inhumane. :mad: The woman is a complete moron.:eek:

JessXx
May 19th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Now I can understand your reasoning behind maybe shaving one of your cats, but I do think this is wrong. Thats just horrible... I think its totally wrong. :yuck:

t.pettet
May 20th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Some groomers will do anything for the $$$, have no ethics and can't count how many times have been asked to dye a dog, shave a double-coated breed to the skin (Newfie), paint their nails, make them look ridiculous with a lion cut for everyone's amusement and the latest is to pierce a dog's ears so she can wear earrings. I know that most of these owners will go elsewhere to get the results they want, thats fine, there are limits in my shop and if its not healthy or necessary then won't oblige.

rainbow
May 20th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Glad to hear you will not oblige to the morons. :thumbs up

Prin
May 21st, 2006, 01:15 AM
I have shaved a few cats in my day... But none were for keeping cool in the summer.. All had rat-sized mats that were too far gone to be brushed out. It's very upsetting for most cats and to do it just for cosmetic reasons isn't right, IMO.

vfrohloff
May 22nd, 2006, 02:24 AM
I shave 2 of my cats, but for good reasons. First, let me just say that I tend to adopt older, abandoned, and sometimes abused cats. I have 2 that just can't be brushed, it's not even an option, they were abused and get very violent ( I mean lunge at your face violent). So every year I get them shaved, and every year the vet tells me they'll probably come home and hide afterwards and be very embarrassed for at least a few days. NOT! The two of them always go together and when they come home it is like a peacock festival! They strut around like they are the cat's meow (pun intended), all proud and happy. So, I don't agree that it's always cruel to shave a cat, it depends on the personality of the cat. My two seem to be able to handle it just fine, but I know others can't. Think also of the comfort level. If a cat has many mats it is in pain and the mere act of shaving makes them feel better.

JessXx
May 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah it DOES have a lot to do with the animals personality- but its usually better not to shave them in the summer to avoid burns etc.

vfrohloff
May 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
So it's better to shave them in winter when it's freezing cold? I'm not saying that the woman wasn't wrong to shave the cats to keep them cool, that's just not a good reason to shave. All I'm saying is that for some of us shaving is a MUST because there is no other way to keep our cats mat-free when grooming isn't an option.

CyberKitten
May 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
I think she is just silly. I have 2 Sphynx cats - hairless cats - tho they do have some hair (feels like suede to me anyway) and even in summer they need sweaters outdoors!! Same for Siamese unless it is at least 25C or more, My YY screams when the door opens and she feels the cold.

JessXx
May 22nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
vfrohloff,
thats not what I meant at all! I was simply saying that to avoid burns- don't shave in the summer... I don't even know if your cats are indoor or outdoor cats anyway- I was mostly talking about the women, not what you do...
it doesn't make me upset that you shave your cats, you seem to have good reasons, but obviously this women doesn't...

vfrohloff
May 22nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
JessXx-Sorry, I over reacted. I re-read your post and see what you mean now about getting burned in the summertime. :o One of my cats had to be put to sleep yesterday and I am over emotional, sleep deprived, and depressed. Please forgive me. :sad:

CyberKitten
May 23rd, 2006, 12:11 AM
The sad fact is cats -esp white ones or ones who have white or a light colour, like meezers and certainly Sphynx kitties - can get skin cancer. So shaving them for the reasons she cited is not just a bad idea, it is dangerous if one has an outdoor cat, not that I think allowing one's cat outside to roam is wise.

I do understand ppl getting cats shaved for matts and veternary issues but I am not certain that is what she meant?

Prin
May 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
Yeah it DOES have a lot to do with the animals personality- but its usually better not to shave them in the summer to avoid burns etc.
I agree. If I was a cat person, I would only shave the cat if it was absolutely necessary. Without actually being a cat, we can't really say if it helps (as far as nature intends, it probably won't). And I wouldn't shave them to the bare skin...

Boubou
May 23rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Oh my God!! I've heard it all. Now, you guys are over reacting! It's just a haircut on a cat! Now, I agree, that cat is shaved bald, and left out in the sun he will get burned and bitten badly by mosquitoes. But most people that have their cats shaved are indoor cats that shed excessively. These are also the people who believe in declawing all four paws at the same time as getting them fixed. They are usually people who live in beautiful, one cat households and really don't like fur everywhere. It's really not a big deal.

I have seven cats and three dogs and I do shave 3 of my cats because they go outside (impossible to keep in - they were found as strays) and they are long haired. But I keep them atleast 1/2 inch in length and they feel so much better. When their fur is too long, they just can't keep up with the grooming and neglect themselves. That's where i step in when it gets warm enough and give them a cute lion clip.The whole procedure takes about 20 minutes, so it's not traumatic to the cat and i agree with Vfohloff, they walk around so proud and happy, they must feel better!

Boubou
May 23rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
I don't mean to be rude or anything, help me see the 'other side' , how is this cruel and inhumane?

Again, it is a quick and painless procedure and quite frankly, if I were a cat, I'd love to have shorter hair to groom. Have you ever watched a long haired cat try to groom himself? Their little tongues get stuck in their fur and they usually end up vomitting all the fur they've swallowed. Most of the time, they end up not grooming themselves because it's too unpleasant.

Now, bathing and drying cats, that I find cruel. I refuse to do this. The cats are scared to death of the water and the drying is absolutely terrifying to them.

Bushfire2000
May 23rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
On of my friends lives in Texas, and has a retired show cat(Bermese sp?). She tells me that the cats are shaved in the off show season and grow a new coat for the next show season. Mostly to avoid excesive matts. It's quite common and relatively harmless.

vfrohloff
May 23rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Bushfire2000-Hmmm, your friend has a Burmese that she shaves to avoid excess mats? Strange because Burmese are short haired cats and there is no reason to shave them, it is virtually impossible for them to get mats. I know this because one of my cats is half Burmese.

Prin
May 24th, 2006, 03:38 AM
I don't know where anybody said "inhumane"... It's more of a "it's better to leave the fur unless you have to cut it" feeling I get from this thread... The thing is, it's not a "hair cut", it's a FUR cut. Fur isn't the same. There are layers and so on that are meant to protect the cat/dog from the elements, including heat, sun, fights, etc, and in that sense, the cat is better with it. If it's all matted and uncomfortable, then yes, the cat probably needs a shave.

And in no way is shaving a cat anywhere near declawing. Not even close. Declawing is amputation at the last knuckle on the finger. That's not a nail trim.;)

mafiaprincess
May 24th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Shaving a cat because you think it 'shed excessively' certainly isn't going to solve their problem.. Instead of long hair everywhere, they simply shed out short hair everywhere.

Short of matting I don't see the point of shaving a cat to the skin, but it's nothing like declawing.. Not sure how that came into play..

erykah1310
May 24th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Certain curcumstances I can agree with shaving cats. I wouldnt do it and leave the cat outside though, not here anyway! the bugs are horrible and the sun is hot this time of year. However if i did have a long haired cat that had gotten matted and what not. I would shave it too. Some times its the only choice. (short of traumatizing your cat)
She says they are outdoor cats and need to be shaved for the summer in order to keep cool. Ya i dont agree with that, but however have any of you actually looked at the cat??? Its seems to be well cared for and also content. ITs the owners perogative in the end.

Boubou
May 24th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Of course there is no comaparison with declawing and shaving!! Just drew you a picture of the typical customer that has this done on a regular basis (for reasons other than matting.....). I would never in a million years have a cat declawed, it is the most barbaric thing (next to ear cropping) and I don't understand how vets do not try to deter people from having this done, or atleast refuse to declaw all four paws!

erykah1310
May 25th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I would never in a million years have a cat declawed, it is the most barbaric thing (next to ear cropping) and I don't understand how vets do not try to deter people from having this done, or atleast refuse to declaw all four paws!

IMO, vets should NOT offer the services of declawing, cropping, docking, removing dew-claws ect... IMO what an animal is born with they should die with!!!! I know that the docking issue was brought up before and there was TONS of reasons why people agreed with it! None the less... ITs amputation.
Sorry for the thread jack!

Prin
May 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Hmmm... This could start a whole new debate, but dewclaw removal is sometimes necessary and even recommended when they stick out too much and the dog is at risk of ripping them off himself... (Boo had his hind ones removed for that reason). Not as inhumane as letting them rip off, IMO.;)

Bushfire2000
May 26th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Bushfire2000-Hmmm, your friend has a Burmese that she shaves to avoid excess mats? Strange because Burmese are short haired cats and there is no reason to shave them, it is virtually impossible for them to get mats. I know this because one of my cats is half Burmese.

I have not actually seen this cat so I could have the name wrong. She does live several thousand miles away from were I do. And I'm not a cat person. I think it looks like a long haired siamese so what ever that is.

MoodIndigo1
May 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM
In the midst of all these opinions, I managed to get an answer I was seeking, so thanks.

For the first time in my life, I have a long-haired black and smoke cat (a foundling last summer), and I was worried about his suffering from the heat. I was considering shaving him, as a few people have recommended. He seems ok, and I comb his coat every two days, and he doesn't have any matted hair, at least not anymore.

Anyone else make this kind of stupid mistake? I combed his coat regularly, but a few months ago I decided to put a collar on him-- then wasn't smart enough to take off the collar whenever I combed him. When I did remove it a couple of weeks ago, he had quite a few matts where the collar had been. We managed to cut out the matts (carefully), finishing the last bits with a comb. He was as good as can be while we did this. No more collars for him, though.

shanae
October 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
:wall:

NEVER EVER shave your cat on your own.

What most people don't know about cats is that they have ridiculously thin skin, as thin as paper, literally!
Even the smallest cut on a cats skin could rip all across it's body causing death or severe blood loss. If you simply cant afford to take your cat in to a grooming shop, then use an electric razor with a guard of at least 3 centimeters, you should never use scissors!
when cutting out knots, just take a comb and put in inbetween the skin of the cat and the knot, that way you have somesort of barrier to protect the cat from the scissors.

Smokyie
October 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Vrohloff -
I see that through out this whole discussion no one has told you they are sorry your cat had to be put to sleep.

I'm sorry your cat is gone.

Smokyie

katz
October 8th, 2010, 01:04 AM
As I read peoples comments on the subject of "shaving" cats it becomes clear that many people have seen way too many Disney movies and are prone to anthropomorphize their pets. I have to admit to being somewhat prone to looking upon my cats as children quite often too. I have two absolutely beautiful Persians. Many cats have long coats, some much longer than my cats. Persians are known to be mellow, perhaps even lazy, generally needing daily care of their coats. They generally enjoy the grooming.
My cats had an incident that required them to be shaved. They are not actually shaved but given a close hair cut if you will. The Vets staff gave them the "lion cut". Many people think this is cute, I think it is baboon-butt ugly. The cats do not seem to care how they look. They still groom themselves and do not seem the slightest bit self concious. They do however seem to feel very releived of having to carry around those huge coats. They run around more. They play more. They are more affectionate, perhaps for the mammilian warmth. We have been getting them this haircut for years now, and I think it is very reasonable and logical as demonstrated by their behavior, that they are happier without the fur. I mean no disrespect to people, but try to empathize with your pets, rather than project your feelings upon them. They are not human. They experience things differently than humans. They have different emotions and capabilities. I do love my now ugly cats enough to keep them ugly rather than beautiful and less happy. It's what they need that matters, not my feelings.

pattymac
October 8th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I've had my one long-haired cat shaved twice since I've had him. He has very, very fine fur and mats if you look at him. When I got him, his hindquarters were really bad and he'd scream anytime I tried to comb him. So I had him shaved..talk about a new kitty, he could run and play with no discomfort. No embarassment on his part. Since we moved out west, I didn't get him done this past summer, we had a very cool summer. Now he has some mats, easy enough to cut out but boy he hates it. Now my other cat is an honest to goodness purebred Maine Coon and he gets the odd little mat behind his ears, which are easy enough to remove, although he complains too. I've never had to shave him...I think he'd have to be knocked out though cause man, when he doesn't like something he screams like a bobcat!! He has a double coat and combs out pretty easily.

I can say that Coco looks absolutely adorable when he's shaved, he gets the lion cut too, his fur feels like velvet and he definately seems much more comfortable. He doesn't go outside at all, so I don't worry about sunburns or bug bites.