Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

17 yr Old Kitty - I would like advise :)

dolphins6872
May 18th, 2006, 11:49 PM
OK.
My short haired grey tabby is 17 years old. She is sleeping so much these day, but loves to be with me wherever i sit. The problem is, she has nearly lost all the hair on her outer ears and now losing more hair throughout her temple area. the skin is very dry, and obviously itchy, and a little scabby. I keep her nails short, but she keep scratching until her ears bleed. Of course she shakes the blood all over the place. the inside of her ears are clean. no mites.

Is there a safe cream or oil that i can put on her ears to make them more supple and or less itchy? Or maybe someone has some other advise?

She also pukes, at least once a week shortly after eating. I have never had a cat this long...is this normal for an older cat? She is not losing weight. She is a healthy 8-9lbs. and I have switched from Iams reg to Iams multi cat a while ago. No difference with the puking.

shredy
May 19th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Couple questions...

When was the last time you went to the vet?
Does your cat have a history of allergies?
If so, what happened in the past, and what worked for her?
Has she had weight loss in the past few years, or are her eyes buldging at all? (some older cats develop hyperthyroidism)
When was the last time she had a blood panel done? She should have one at least once a year at her old age.
Hair loss and scratching until she bleeds isn't normal at any age, and a vet would have a better idea of how to fix it. She may have an infection at this point if it has been going on for some time. I would take her to see a vet.
If all else fails you can try some triple antibiotic on her ears, it it petroleum based and will help mosturize, and kill any bacteria that is hanging around. It won't do much good it she cleans it off though... I hope this helps, good luck.

dolphins6872
May 19th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Hi, thanks for seeing my post.
Well she has been in the vet last year. with a clean bill of health. No allergies either. She had something years ago i can't even remember what exactly it was but... her skin turned yellowish and i had to give her medication and force feed her special vet food for 2 weeks. It was a hard time but she pulled through. No weight loss or gain. just healthy looking. not fat but not overweight. her eyes are not bulging. She seems to be just an old kitty. i love her so. she has been with me since she was 9months old. the people that had her before couldn't keep her because their baby was starting to get mean with her. So, i gladly scooped her up. Her other cat mates in the house a about 6 and 7 years old. They do not bug her, which is nice. sorry getting away from the topic, but felt i had to share...

I guess i feel like she is slowly slipping away. All she want to do is cuddle with me and sleep her days away. if i don't see her for an hour or so i feel a sinking in my heart that i will find her passed away in a ball on my bed. however, she is just snoozing on the bed.

badger
May 19th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I think it would be a good idea if the vet saw her, old cats need to be monitored more closely so any problems can be nipped in the bud.

Old kitties do sleep more, so that might not mean anything.

I'd switch her to a better food (there's lots of information here, just search under 'cat food' and you'll be reading all night). Her skin problem could be an allergy she has developed to something she's eating. The vet will probably try to sell you expensive food, but unless your cat needs a special diet only available from the vet, I'd go to a pet supply store, it's cheaper (although not cheap like Iams) and cats generally like it better. Switch over to the new food slowly, a week or ten days.

Don't give up! My sister's cat is 22, takes meds for hyperthyroid, and only gave up bringing home her own meat - so to speak - a few years ago.

But first, the vet.