Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New to this forum/ Hello All

JanetAngel
May 18th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Hi,
I am a mom of many rescued animals...6 dogs, 3 cats and 2 birds. I work with my dad's horses everyday as well. (2 of his are rescued, he has had the same horses for years and years. He also saved a rescued horse from near death and she is healthy and beautiful today). We are about to adopt 2 guinea pigs from a shelter a couple hours away from us, I am building the cage for them now.
I really wanted to be part of a animal forum who does not promote breeding or buying from pet stores. I am a firm believer in rescuing. I am also with Cavy Cages forum for rescued guinea pigs. That is where I got hooked on animal forums and I love them.
Animal people are great people:angel:

LibbyP
May 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Hi and Welcome JanetAngel, wow you have your hands full;) , what kind of horses does your father own? Guinea pigs cute, my family is also in the animal field and we are trying to talk daddy into letting us(me & kids) get a g.p. I love the way they talk to you. hope to chat with you again sometime, hope you find tons of forums you can jump into and offer some advice :highfive: to your rescue efforts.

JanetAngel
May 18th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Hi LibbyP.

My dad has 2 thoroughbreds, 1 of them rescued, 1 paint (who I ride) also rescued, and 2 quarter horses. One of them is a baby, a filly who I am training to walk on a lead, get use to being handled for vet care and shoes etc. My dad is an old strict cowboy who has had horses all his life and teaches in a very old fashion way. At the stables they refer to him as the horse whisperer because he knows so much about them and has some of the healthiest horses there. He is very particular about care and feed.
My son and I are really looking forward to adopting the GPs. Cavy Cages is a great site for cage ideas, care and general research on them. They are posted world wide.
I have had many animals all my life and do not know what it is like to just have one dog, one cat or one of anything. I do all my pets and children in pairs. Just one husband though, he is enough.
I am sure you will see me in other forums. I have a lot of dog knowledge and I use to obedience train with youth and their dogs. That was a lot of fun. I am always up to learning more about dogs, cats and many other animals.

LibbyP
May 18th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hi again JanetAngel, that's awesome, paints are just one of my many favs. I worked foaling/yearling season on a standardbred farm, close to home that also had:crazy: appaloosas that were fun to ride now and then. This is my first season not there:sad: , two small ones at home and not enough time (2 & 4). I totally agree one husband is plenty, mine keeps me in check, I think he must pray every day that we live in the city(if not I'd have more critters than I do now) I just love them as the hubby works shift they are my creatures of comfort when the kids go to bed, what types of dogs do you have? Talk again soon

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Hi JanetAngel - I really wanted to be part of a animal forum who does not promote breeding or buying from pet stores. I am a firm believer in rescuing. I am also with Cavy Cages forum for rescued guinea pigs. That is where I got hooked on animal forums and I love them.
Animal people are great people

well you have certainly come to the right place the majority of us are against buying animals from petstore and we dont promote breeding of non - champion purebreds or mixed breed dogs - of course if someone comes here that wants to breed or buy the cute pet store puppy we try to educate them on the reasons not too. A reputable breeder shouldnt be looking for advice on this site anyways. :D

JanetAngel
May 19th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I am glad I found a cool place with true animal lovers.
My dogs are mostly mixed breeds
Lucy is a rottie-X
Xena is a Dobe-X
Thunder is a German Shepard-X
Meakoe is a lhaso apso/terrier-X (kinda funny looking)
and I have two Chihuahuas who are brothers. Scooby Doo and Shaggy too. Lucy, Xena and Meakoe are my buddies, Thunder is closer to my husband and the chihuahuas belong to my boys. Shaggy use to be really shy when we first got him, someone had adopted him before and returned him when he was a puppy. When we got him he was afraid of people. Now he is great with everyone. My son really made the biggest difference with him and they are very close.
What do you have LibbyP?
I also have a tattoo of a paint horse on my back. (my dad about killed me for the tatt). They are my absolute favorites. Appies are my 2nd favorite. My dad just found out tonight how old our paint is. He was talking to one of the previous owners of Spot and he told my dad Spot is 27 yrs old. We thought he was about 22. He still has a lot of spunk. Spot and I had a good ride tonight.

LibbyP
May 19th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Hi, currently I have my old man 'Hoover' Walkerhound x (actually when I fostered him at 4 wks I was told he was a Jackrussel:rolleyes: that grew to be 65 lbs he's 12.5 going blind and hearing is selected (I think) as he doesn't respond to us calling him but he can hear the rattle of a dog collar walking by the front of the house and spot a squire 2 yards over in a tree hee hee hee, next we have 'Ruby' Lynx pt Siamese that we adopted a 1.5 yrs ago, she's a chubby girl(big boned I like to tell everyone;) then in 1yr ago we adopted 'Libby' English Mastiff who just turned 4yrs who can cover alot of areas with her slingers (ceiling, walls, your leg etc...) to round off the gang of critters we just adopted 'Max' Snowshoe Siamese who has to be the:crazy: kitten ever ( Hope you can tell by my cats names that I also have to small children 4 & 2.5 and a husband that keeps me in check about the animal:human ratio in the house. My parents have a crusty older Chihuahua that broke her front leg when she was younger and it never mended properly so she has a crazy gimpy walk, and a senior Siamese that I fostered his mom and siblings(from birth). I have always had animals and will continue to do so, adoption/rescue are the best way to go. Wow 27 that's awesome, glad to hear you had a good ride, I miss that

JanetAngel
May 20th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I guess you are not fostering Hoover anymore.:) My boys named most of our dogs. Scooby Doo and Shaggy are their dogs (The Chihuahuas). Meakoe is mine, but named and spelled by my son (pronounced Meeko). When we adopted our cat Maxie, she was listed on the card as a male. She turned out to be a female. She went from Max to Maxie. My husband named Thunder (aka ThunderStrike) and Xena from fictional characters and Lucy already had her name when we adopted her. My cats, Nikita and Angel I named. Nikita is after the Elton John song Nikita. I thought Nikita was a girl when he was tiny, he is not. We had him neutered, not spayed. Angel is named after me...:angel: I am kinda mischievous, so the joke when I was younger was I am an angel at heart. I am known as a trouble maker, nothing big time, just within my family. And I wonder where my sons get it.:D Oh and the birds, Sponge Bob and Heaven were named by my sons. They are talking and singing right now. (the birds, my sons are asleep). When they want attention they get really loud. They love being talked too.
I did not get to ride tonight, my dad left early and I have lost my privileges riding when he is not there. (Mind you, I am an adult on my own, but not in my dad's eyes). I got into too much trouble galloping with Spot where horses are not allowed to gallop on the property due too causing too much dust for the people who live on property. Spot and I had a great time until my dad stepped in. I also lost privileges one time (not too long ago) when I was riding and I had to go to the restroom. No one was there to hold on to Spot for me, so I took him with me. I brought his reins into the bathroom door. Just as soon as I took care of business, Spot freaked out, pulled backwards and yanked on the reins. I freaked out, getting my clothes back together, I opened the door and Spot was gone. The reins were on the ground by the door. I saw Spot calmly walking down the road away from me. I eventually caught him. Then I had to explain to my dad how the reins got broken. I had not been talked to like my dad did to me that night in a long long time. I felt really bad. I felt just like a little kid again. Thinking back on it, it was kinda funny, but it was not funny that day. There are more Spot stories of him and me getting into trouble, but this forum would be too too long. :)

JessXx
May 21st, 2006, 04:57 PM
Wow! Hey and welcome to the forums!! I love to rescue animals as well, we have a recued dog and we've had many many other rescue animals over time... our bird Hailey is also a rescue bird.
I hope you like the forums as much as I do... good luck and post any questions you have... we'll answer ASAP! :thumbs up

JanetAngel
May 27th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Cool JessX you have a load of animals too. How long has your tabby been missing?
I use to have a cat who lived to be 14 yrs old who dissappeared one time for 6 weeks. I was devastated. He came back a lot thinner than he left, but he fattened up quickly. He was a black and grey tabby, big mean tom cat. He loved me though.
I had one other cat who was a little red tabby. I had him about 8 years. He dissappeared and I figure he passed on because if he could have come home he would have.
So do not give up hope on yours who is missing. I heard one woman who told me her cat was missing 3 months and came home.
So hang in there. If your cat can he will return.