Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wellness Super5ix Senior

lilith_rizel
May 18th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Anyone use it? Is it good?

Jackie467
May 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I don't use the senior food but I do use wellness and I love it. Candi has pretty bad allergies so I have her on the white fish and sweet patato formula and it is great for them. wellness is good because they don't use byproducts and their meat is all human grade. I personally like this food because it is worth every penny you spend on it. Of course you always want to check the labels on other formulas because sometimes they are not as hollistic as the other formulas, but I don't think that will be the case with wellness. Though the senior may have more in it because the whitefish and sweet patato is made special specifically for allergies.

Jackie467
May 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I forgot to add that I do use the senior formula for my cat and LOVE it. She has almost stopped shedding now when before it was really bad. But of course that's cat food and not dog food.

cpietra16
May 18th, 2006, 05:11 PM
That's what I use for my 8 year old LAb...she isn't complaining, and she seems to not need as much...which is good because she is always on a diet:D

lilith_rizel
May 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM
That's what I use for my 8 year old LAb...she isn't complaining, and she seems to not need as much...which is good because she is always on a diet:D

What size are the pieces of food? Are they small enough for a small dog to eat? I am thinking that this is what I am going to put Princess on when hubby brings her home on Sunday...

Prin
May 18th, 2006, 05:53 PM
You might want to start her off very gradually. I'm guessing you don't know what she ate before? If so, I'd start with a small portion, see how it goes, and then increase the next portion a bit and so on. Without the old food, it'll be hard to switch gradually, and if she was on crap, holistic will be hard to digest all of a sudden.

It's good, but personally, I prefer feeding less of the regular adult food than a senior food (they tend to be more grainy, which is bad for a doggy prone to gaining weight...).

Don't feed what's written on the bag either, eh? That's usually too much. Feed just enough so the stool is firm- with foods with less stool hardeners (i.e. the better foods), if you feed too much, the stool will be softer than you'd like it.;) (not diarrhea though- that's a different problem.)

cpietra16
May 18th, 2006, 06:00 PM
For a dog food I don't find pieces too big...I ttok a picture I hope it helps.By the way when I went to the store, the lady actually gave me a whole bunch of samples to see what Winnie like and what she didn't,

lilith_rizel
May 18th, 2006, 06:45 PM
You might want to start her off very gradually. I'm guessing you don't know what she ate before? If so, I'd start with a small portion, see how it goes, and then increase the next portion a bit and so on. Without the old food, it'll be hard to switch gradually, and if she was on crap, holistic will be hard to digest all of a sudden.

It's good, but personally, I prefer feeding less of the regular adult food than a senior food (they tend to be more grainy, which is bad for a doggy prone to gaining weight...).

Don't feed what's written on the bag either, eh? That's usually too much. Feed just enough so the stool is firm- with foods with less stool hardeners (i.e. the better foods), if you feed too much, the stool will be softer than you'd like it.;) (not diarrhea though- that's a different problem.)

I think she may have been on Ol' Roy!!! :eek: I can ask hubby before he leaves to come home on Saturday, and I can buy a small bag of whatever she is on, so we can switch it gradually....

cpietra, Thanks for the picture, I think it should be fine...

Also, I am probably going to pick the food up at Petsmart, I think I have seen it there before, would it be an ok idea to take Princess with, or would it be too much on her, her first day with us. I have to wait until hubby gets home, because he has the car....

Denwishy
May 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM
My dog is eating Wellness fish and sweet potato. I find the kibbles a little bigger than I would like them to be. But then I have a chihuahua. So depends on how small your dog is. But I think Gizmo is doing ok with the size.