Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Excercise and hot weather

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM
How does everyone excercise their dogs when the weather gets hot - for the past couple of days here its been 30 degrees C and its gonna get hotter as summer approaches. I took Joey for our usual 5k walk the other morning and he got pretty tired - he even wanted to rest half way and I even carried him for a bit. I am trying to switch to shorter walks throughout the day but still get the same amount of excercise in for him and go first thing in the morning.

Also we got one of those blow up pools for the kids - I was thinking of letting Joey swim in it with us. My hubby said no - but what he doesnt know wont hurt him. :D Either that or buy Joey a big plastic pool for himself. :D

chico2
May 18th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I noticed that with Bailey too,although we certainly do not have +30C...when it's cool,she keeps me walking at a good pace,but as soon as it's warm,she's panting and her tounge is hanging.
Joeys own pool is a great idea,Bailey likes my birdbath,here she is a few years back,cooling off:D the other dog is my sons JRT.

SarahLynn123
May 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM
What we usually do is exercise first thing in the morning or late at night before bed. It gets way to hot for our dogs to run around outside, plus we dont have air conditioning so not to much running around in the house. We may go outside for quick little fetch games and tug-of-war games but very short, then back into the house for cooling off and lots of water.

Going down to the river is an option for us, the dogs cool off by taking a swim!

During the day though if they are not sleeping and we are not heading to the river, we will hide little treats around and they have to sniff them out and play similar games that wont cause heat exhaustion!

rainbow
May 18th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Joey's Mom, we live in the west kootenays and get the same weather you do.

We walk them early in the morning and, if they need it again, after the sun goes down. When we're outside they're with us and sometimes they run around chasing each other. When they get tired they find some shade and there's always water available.

Unfortunatly, we don't have air-conditioning but when they're in the house they lay in front of their own floor fans.:D

Prin
May 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
With my black doggies, we can barely go outside in the summer. They get too hot too fast, especially Jemma. If they have to be out, I keep them wet. They also have their own little pool from Canadian tire that cost about $10, but all they've done so far is stand in it.:D

mafiaprincess
May 18th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I have a petsmart kiddie pool, she drinks from it.. won't lay in it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Do you mean you can buy pools for dogs? :D

rainbow
May 18th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Don't know if you can buy pools specifically for dogs.....we just use the sturdy ones for kids.:D

mafiaprincess
May 19th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I wanted one so badly last year.. tried canadian tire and walmart.. both had expensive ones with built in slides.. both had ones that you inflate the rings to make the pool stand up..

I cracked and bought one at petsmart for 10. After, places started selling them again. I had a bigger version of Cider's as a kid.. has the smurfs on it. Types seem to get popular and then not, so it can be a pain in the bum to find one that is 'dog proof'.

I hope this year Cider may like it a little more..

BoxerRescueMTL
May 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Boxers don't handle the heat well at all. We have to go out very early and after sunset. Last year we bought one of those stand up air conditioners and put it in the bedroom so they'd have a place to go cool off. Monty was going thru chemo then and spent a lot of time in the cool bedroom. We also bought a kiddie pool that Vegas loved. Monty wouldn't touch it, lol, he thought it was silly :)

OntarioGreys
May 19th, 2006, 11:18 AM
My bridge kid loved her pool and spent most of her days in it, she was the spoiled princess :queen: even had a canopy over top to keep the sun off her so she would not get sunburned while laying in the pool
she would get warm fast so I would soak her down in the pool, walk to the river let her soak there and then walk back,

http://www.mypetpages.net/artists/1732/0/d6a542d14cdf09fee30f6fb7207c8773.jpg

http://www.mypetpages.net/artists/1732/0/a6a3c09a27d2e887601d2cf209c1e6e5.jpg

My other 3 perfer hanging out inside wher it is cool

jessi76
May 19th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I got one of those turtle sandbox things for kids, and just filled it w/ water! It's super heavy duty plastic, and even has a cover. (see pic attached) they retail for about $40, but I found one on the side of the road w/ a free sign on it, so I grabbed it. Check yard sales, flea markets, etc...

it's great, it's not too deep, I can easily clean it out often, keep it covered so bugs don't breed in it, and it can take the abuse from my destructo-dog. Tucker digs in it ALOT, and it's held up amazingly.

we let him play in that in really hot weather - he has a blast.

Dog Mom
May 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I suggest yard sales as well, we found a Huge kiddie pool for $5.00. Most of our dogs love it. I also put the sprinkler out for them and it keeps them pretty cool as well