Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

toy for blind dog

Hogansma
May 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM
This is not a question but thought I'd add what I learned about my blind dog. My dalmatian is almost 11 and totally blind now. I really thought her life would be very boring when she became totally blind (has been progressing for 6 months) and that the kindest thing to do would be to have her put to sleep. I was so wrong! She found a "sqeaky ball" in the park one day ... probably left by a child. It's made of thick plastic, not those thin ones that she can destroy in a minute. She now carries it everywhere and we named it "squeak squeak". I chase her around, inside the house trying to get it from her, in play and she just beams! My other dog will steal it too and play with her. My point is, don't make any hasty decisions about having a blind dog put to sleep. They handle disabilities much better than humans do. She is in ill health but still has a wonderfully optimistic spirit about her and enjoys life to the max.

Dog Dancer
May 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Good of you to post this for everyone thinking like that. Wait and let the dog give you the cues I guess. Glad your dog is doing well. Of course her other health issues are probably to be expected with her advancing age, but it's good of you to be there for her and keep her happy. Well done Hogansma!:thumbs up

Puppyluv
May 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM
An 11 yo dal that's still running and playing! I'm impressed!
So glad to here that her life is so great.
I have to say I was a tad suprised that you considered putting her to sleep just because she was blind. My aunt and uncle have a finnish spitz who went blind at the young age of 3, and besides having to learn some new voice and sound commands, she was no different than before.
I also met a young dog who was blind and deaf from about the age of 6 months (met her because my friend's mom was fostering her for the SPCA). This dog was remarkable in her responses to commands. Commands involved different methods of stamping your feet, and she could sense them.
I can't quite fathom why you would put a blind dog to sleep.:confused:

rainbow
May 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Nice story and glad you made the right decision about having her pts.:thumbs up Also glad to hear that she is doing well and that your other dog is still playing with her. :pawprint: