Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my leaping dog

tam1
May 17th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I have a husky mix with ?. I am curious to know if it is really possible that she is jumping a 5 foot fence? Every time I turn my head or leave her in the backyard unattened she gets out to run with her friends!!!!!!!!! Anybody know what breed of dog can jump that high in one leap because we have seen her jump 3-4 foot fence in one leap.

Sneaky
May 17th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Hi Tam,
as far as I know huskys as well as malamutes,
are capable of high high jumps,
as well as being very capable of climbing chain link fences.

No idea of really telling you what shes mixed with without seeing
a picture.

mafiaprincess
May 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM
It's quite possible. That's why no one with a prone escape dog would ever leave them outside alone.

Puppyluv
May 17th, 2006, 11:57 PM
My dog, who is all of 21 inches tall, is capable of a 5 foot vertical no prob, and, in her younger days, used to jump over a dividing wall in my condo that is 4.5 feet tall and 3.5 feet wide. She's a lab/whippet/? cross, though I imagine there are many breeds that can clear such heights.

rainbow
May 18th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I have a siberian husky now and had two previous to him. We were told by the breeders that they are very capable of jumping a six foot fence.

We never had a problem with any of them jumping and I don't know why as I have seen and heard of so many that do. They say the best option for a fence is chain link (or very strong fence wire) that is bent inward at the top and buried a good foot underground.

We never had a fence like that and the only problem we ever had with one of our huskies was that she would tear boards loose and escape that way.:evil:
Once she got older (about 4 or 5) she didn't try anymore.

jawert1
May 18th, 2006, 02:50 PM
My English Pointer can scale a 5 foot fence no problem, but I've never left them unattended outside to find out if he'd run off entirely. Is there a reason you don't have her inside with you or is this just an "outside to bathroom" thing?

SnowDancer
May 18th, 2006, 02:57 PM
My 24 lb. American Eskimo from a standing position.

tam1
May 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
When we would let her out we are in the back with her but as soon as someone turned the burgers she was gone. She would come back if called all she wants is to play with her freinds. When she has had enough she comes home!!!!! In our neighbourhood we have 22 dogs in a 2 block radius. So she always has someone to play with.

littlesister
May 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM
What neighborhood is this? I want to move there! Do tell - private mail me if you don't want to publicize too much I understand.

rainbow
May 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Hmmmm....maybe you could borrow one of the 22 dogs to come play with her in your yard.:D

tam1
May 19th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Hey littlesister...I live in Dorval right next to the airport.

JessXx
May 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Shyla is an american husky... we have a good 5 feet on our fence and I've watched her jump it...
Its not impossible.... We have our other dog pepper out there with her but she still does it... she just wants out sometimes.