Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ring worm

stef
May 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Hi I have a Pomeranian who is believed to have ring worm. :o :eek: We are waiting on the test to come back but .I was wounding if there is something I could do for her in the mean time.
She is 31 days along in her pregnancy so not sure what to use that is safe.
i wish i had ask my vet but was really shook up over the thought that my baby might have ring worm :yuck:
this is very upsetting to me.:sad:

badger
May 17th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Call your vet and ask his advice. A pregant dog infested with ringworm (or any other rash or parasite) will need to be followed very closely to make sure it doesn't impact the puppies. I guess one problem is that anything you put on her skin she is likely to lick off, if she can reach it. I wouldn't do anything unless the vet OKs it, however safe it seems.
Keep talking to your vet.

Puppyluv
May 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM
oh my, not ringworm again! My dog and I both got ring worm last year. Be VERY careful, it is VERY contagious. Just by touching the area of the fungus is enough to infect you. When Layla (my dog) had it, it was on her muzzle, so she was constantly trying to lick the ointment off, as a result, the vet told me to cover her wound whenever I wasn't directly focusing on her. I would imagine that this is what you will have to do with your girl. I hope that it clears up before the pups are born, because if she still has it, and is still contagious when they are born, they will likely all contract it too, due to the close contact.

BMDLuver
May 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
The best thing you can do for your pomeranian if she indeed does have ringworm is spay her or have the vet abort the pups as all her pups will most likely end up covered in ringworm as well. It's pretty hard to avoid it and nursing pups will take a toll on her which in turn will reduce her resistance and cause the cycle to repeat itself. Ask your vet about this but really I don't think I would put her through a pregnancy on top of ringworm. She has to be the top priority right now.

Lucky Rescue
May 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM
The best thing you can do for your pomeranian if she indeed does have ringworm is spay her or have the vet abort the pups as all her pups will most likely end up covered in ringworm as well.

Agree 100%. Someone just posted on this board about a litter of ringworm puppies he bred, and now is considering dumping them at a "discount" or free since they are now disfigured.

Ringworm is not something you will get rid of easily.

stef
May 22nd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Hi ,thanks for you're reply's I do know about ring worm I have helped our local shelters, but never with a pregnant dog.
i called my vet and talked to her.she said for me not to panic it may not even be ringworm.and if it is we caught it early and she feels like it will not be a problem for the pups but if the mother still has it by the time her pups are due i could bottle feed.she said the fact that i brought her in so early is a very good thing and we can take the steps to protect the pups where if not found till later that would have been really bad.she said most of the time, by the time an owner brings them in the are really bad looking and mine only had a small spot on her.as for the mom she said she is in real good condition other wise and should be fine.
the spot that we are concerned about seems to be healing now with out any meds,so maybe she just had a little sore or something.
She does not seem to be itchy. i will know for sure by the end of the week.
thank you again

JessXx
May 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
I'm not going to make any suggestions because knowing that your pup is pregnant, I wouldn't want to do much that could harm the litter...
I just want to say that you should def. talk to your vet asap and ask any questions you might have... I think that the vets might be closed (I know they are here because its the long weekend) but there might be an emergency vet nearby if you really want information like right now....
:) have a good day and good luck! :fingerscr I'll be praying for you

JessXx
May 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Hi Stef,
Just read your reply...
Thanks for updating us all and telling us how it went... glad to hear it. :pawprint: