Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Worst Day of Our Lives

Writing4Fun
May 17th, 2006, 08:23 AM
I need your prayers. My husband was just diagnosed with colon cancer. I probably won't be here very often over the next little while. Please think of us.

To all the men on the board, PLEASE get yourselves screened! My husband is only 38. They don't usually start screening until you're in your 40s-50s. The only reason we caught it this early is because he had been feeling tired and run down for over a month. We were attributing it to being inactive & a little overweight. Turned out he was severaly anemic. A colonoscopy showed the tumour. Yes, colonoscopies are uncomfortable and a little scary, but nowhere near as scary as cancer. Do it now.

jawert1
May 17th, 2006, 08:36 AM
You will all be in my prayers as well as my family's W4F, keep us posted on how his treatment goes.

hugs :grouphug:

technodoll
May 17th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I am terribly sorry to hear about that... you will be in my prayers, and will tell hubby (who is also 38) to get a test soon because you never know... what a wake-up call...
:grouphug: hugs to you and good courage, he will get through it!

jessi76
May 17th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Oh W4F... I'm sorry. You & your husband will certainly be in my thoughts.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 17th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Oh gee that is no good - All my prayers are with him - please stay positive in all of this, our family has beaten cancer twice now. Also if you are able to look into clinical trials they are often more effective then conventional methods. This is how my sister beat her pancreatic cancer. Goodluck to your hubby.

happycats
May 17th, 2006, 09:23 AM
OMG W4F, I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and I wish your husband a speedy recovery.

Rick C
May 17th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis.

I'll be walking/running in the Calgary all night Cancer Relay for Life in a few weeks and will keep him in mind . . . . . .

A colleague of mine, only 38, a bright, successful single mother of two, died one year ago this month of brain cancer. A distant relative, under 30 years old, just passed away from the same thing. A few years ago, another friend had her father pass away from cancer. He had only a few weeks notice.

Really, an insidious disease.

Good luck to your husband. Catching it early sounds like a positive development.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

catsnatcher-CDN
May 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Be positive W4F,

You can always use the message board to get away and vent if you need to. You have a challenging road ahead. Remember that positive thought do effect the healing process.

badger
May 17th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Come back if you need us, Writing4Fun. I know at least four people who recovered from colon cancer, one a 36 year old man. Take support where you can find it and don't lose hope.

cpietra16
May 17th, 2006, 09:51 AM
W4F...I am happy you caught it early. Keep positive and I will be thinking of you and your husband...

Luvmypit
May 17th, 2006, 09:52 AM
OMG, I am soo sooo sorry! I will pray for you and your husband. I feel awful for you. I am thinking of you. Please let us know how things are going when you have time.

God Bless you!

Writing4Fun
May 17th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Thank you, everyone. Your support means a lot. We're playing the waiting game right now. He had a CT scan yesterday, and surgery is planned for the 30th. They're moving fairly quickly, all things considered.

KarineB
May 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Sending you lots of positve vibes and thoughts :grouphug:

Schwinn
May 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I'll be keeping him in my thoughts, W4F. Cancer is evil. I've watched family members go through it, so I know how scary it is. I'll be sending out all the positive thoughts that I can. I do know that if it is caught early, then the success rate is extrememly high.

CyberKitten
May 17th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I certainly understand the ravages of cancer W4Fun and my heart goes out to you and your husband. My advice is to get the best help you can, do not be afraid to ask as many questions as you can and go with your husband and take notes since - and I am speaking both as a patient and an oncologist here - we often are so shocked or preoccupaied that we do not recall all the details.

I think everyone - male and female- should have tests each year and if necessay, a colonoscopy when needed. Colon cancer can be defeated!

Take care and I wish you well! My thoughts are with you!!!

Prin
May 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I'm so sorry W4F. That's terrible news. We'll keep all the fingers and paws crossed that the treatment works out well.:fingerscr :fingerscr :pawprint: :pawprint: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Jackie467
May 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I am so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers will be with your family. Oddly enough my friend is going for a colonoscopy on friday. She had one before where they found a precancerous polyp (or however you spell that) and she didn't go for her second one a year ago. So she is finally going now because her blood work came back with her being anemic. They are hoping that it's iron deficiency but want to make sure.

I will be sending good thoughts your way.

HunterXHunter
May 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM
My prayers are with you and your hubby W4F.

Cancer's a #*$&@ terrible disease. I lost my mom to it 3 years ago. Don't worry, things will be fine. Especially since it was found out early.

rainbow
May 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Sorry to hear the news. Glad you caught it early and keep positive. :fingerscr :grouphug: :fingerscr

BMDLuver
May 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Thinking of you W4F! My husband will be going next Thursday for the same thing and he's the same age. Never sick a day in his life so apparently he's going to have a biggy instead. I know how stressful a time for you this is and hope that all works out fine for the both of you. :grouphug:

chico2
May 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
W4F,I am so sorry,I can just imagine your worry,however your husbands colon-cancer was caught early and chances are he will have a full recovery.
I know of a couple of men who had a complete recovery.
Please come back if you need someone to"talk"to,we are all friends here and concerned with every members well-being and their families:love:

jesse's mommy
May 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Hugs and prayers are being sent your way. :grouphug:

Skryker
May 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM
:grouphug: :fingerscr So sorry to hear this news! I will keep you both in my thoughts. It's so scary to face such a serious illness, but it was caught early and as you said, they are moving quickly. Hope everything resolves well. :fingerscr :grouphug:

doggy lover
May 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM
W4F sorry to here that your hubby is unwell. I had bowel problems 3 years ago and that was one thing they were looking into, yes it is very uncomfortable but they found 2 pulops and removed them. The doctors figured I had an IBS problem as nothing else was ever found, one good thing I lost 40lbs at the time, mind you I have gained some back. Anyways tell your hubby to take care, keep us updated when you can. My thoughts are with you.:grouphug:

Frenchy
May 17th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I'm so sorry for your family...it's a terrible news.I will send you all of my positive vibes,we are here for you.:grouphug:

mesaana
May 17th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I'm so sorry... Sending good vibes your way!

mummummum
May 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Life can certainly throw a nasty curveball at times. You and your family will be in my heart and thoughts.

Melei'sMom
May 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM
never lose hope. sending good vibes for a speedy recovery.

You are in my thoughts.

Copper'sMom
May 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Wishing your hubby get well wishes and a speedy recovery. My thoughts and prayers will be with you both.:grouphug: :grouphug:

erykah1310
May 18th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Im so sorry to hear this, I am thinking of you and your husband, and will be wishing and praying for a speedy recovery!! :grouphug:

joeysmama
May 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
My prayers are with you. It's a very scary thing. Please remember that cancer is NOT a death sentence. Your husband has a very good chance of recovering and living a healthy life.

I'm a survivor and I'd be very happy to share with you some of what we learned about diagnosis and treatment. PM or e-mail me if you'd like. Cancer need not define your lives forever.

AliSam
May 18th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Oh my goodness W4F. My prayers are with you and your family. It sounds like it was caught early so I know everything will turn out fine. God bless.

babyrocky1
May 18th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Im so sorry to hear this writing4fun, as everyone has said, it sounds as if he caught it early, but still its so stressful for you both...You will definately be in my thoughts a prayers as well. :grouphug:

meb999
May 18th, 2006, 09:37 PM
So sorry to hear the news W4F. I'm sending you and your hubbie lotsa positive thoughts for a speedy recovery :grouphug:

glasslass
May 18th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I'll keep you and your hubby in my thoughts and prayers, W4F. Good that he is young; he can put up a stronger fight! My hubby just had his first colonoscopy last December. He had put it off but his doctor insisted. Everything was fine but he says he won't avoid it in the future like he did. The colonoscopy wasn't bad at all. This information for those who may still be putting it off. I think I'd rather fight cancer myself than to have to watch a loved one deal with it. My heart goes out to you.:grouphug:

Stacer
May 20th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Wow, so sorry to read the news. We'll be sending good vibes your way for sure. Send them my way too, my 14 year old cousin was just diagnosed with 4th stage Lymphoma. Cancer sucks.