Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 cats (best friends) now fight after one has vet visit

tkvinny
May 17th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Hi,

My 2 cats (Jodan and Payton) were adopted together and have always been the best of friends. They sleep together and hand with my wife and i at all times when we are home. They are extremely needy of human attention. They both have been neutered and declawed.

Recently Payton had to go to the vet for all-day dental work. This is the 1st time ever that they have been separated from each other.

When we brought Payton home from the vet (about 10 hours separation), Jordan nothing to do with him, except to hiss, scream and attack Payton. This has been going on for 2 days.

We think it is due to the smell from the vet. We have tried rubbing a blanket on Payton and then rubbing the same blanket on Jordan to get their smells together. We have also tried spraying a little perfume around each cat. Nothing has worked, so we have them separated and purchased a 2nd litter box so they each have one in their respective secluded rooms.

Around us, they are just as needy as ever. But the sound of one cat meowing sets the other one off into a squealing, hissing spree.

Any other suggestions as to getting these cats back to their overly-adjusted and loving ways?

Thanks

Lucky Rescue
May 17th, 2006, 10:32 AM
You're right. The cat who was at the vet now smells like a new, strange cat to the one who stayed home.

Try trading rooms with them. Leave the litterboxes etc where they are and just switch cats so each one will be totally surrounded by the other's scent.

Continue rubbing each with the same towel while you do this. The smell from the vet should be worn off by now and hopefully Jordan will recognize his brother.

What I did once was smear some juice from a cat of tuna on each cat. By the time they finished licking themselves and each other, they were friends again!

tkvinny
May 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the tip.

I will try these suggestions.

Lucky Rescue
May 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM
One final thing..do not rush it! If you try and make them be friends, it will likely make the situation worse, so take your time.:)

CyberKitten
May 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Lucky is right - the other cat does not recognize her friend since cats are very dependent on their sense of smell to detect their surroundings.

The towel strategy is a good one. You might also try dabbing each kitty with a little vanilla. That also can help.

Good luck!