Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fat cat....someone's been stealing food

jiorji
May 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I'm not going to say who....but someone is rather plump these days and someone is suspected of eating from someone else's food bowl.

question is.....HOW DO YOU PUT A CAT ON A DIET when you own TWO cats?!?!

She obviously doesn't care that she's eating from the bowl that has someone else's name on it, because HER bowl is empty.

What do i do?? Do i make portions for everyone and monitor when they eat and then take it away ??

My cats get a few bits of food throughout the day. If i were to set up a feeding schedule it would be disastrous. What if i'm not home throughout the day? Miss fatty:rolleyes: gets cranky when there's no food overnight , which results in either a) jumping on the counter or b) attacking my feet in the middle of the night.

I hope someone has a REALLY good plan for me to try out

RaYne
May 17th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Sorry I won't be much help because I'm having the same problem. LOL

My male cat weighs almost 20 pounds. He's been on a portion control diet for the last year and has not lost any weight because he's eating his food and most of my other cats food. I've tried putting the other cats food in a different area or higher up but he still gets to it. I can't starve her because he's a tubby pig. lol It doesn't help either that my female is a slow eater. She picks here and there throughout the day. Where my male will empty his bowl and move on to hers. My only solution was to put down only one portion.. let them share it.. and then give my female some extra while I watch and pick the bowl up once she's done.

happycats
May 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I have 5 (1 skinny, 2 chubby, 2 okay) so it gets pretty crazy, as I have 2 food thieves!!
I free feed dry food ( for seniors, used to be for heavy cats) then I have to supervise canned food at dinner time! As the 2 chubbies finish theirs (always the first to finish too:rolleyes: ) I remove them from the eating area! They have become quite used to it, and usually all I have to do is call their name when they finish their dinner, and they know to leave. (I always feed the skinny one the most canned food)
But there are times I'm rushed and all :evil: breaks loose and the chubbies eat the skinnies:crazy: . But for the most part it's quite orderly :)

cpietra16
May 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Yup..I am having the same problem...to the point where she is now trying to steal my dogs food. I have now put them all on high alert...the nibble food is now too high for any cat over 12 pounds to jump...so the skinny cats can get food and the plump one can't:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 17th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Ok I dont have cats but could you put them in seperate rooms just to eat - or is it more complicated then that. :D

badger
May 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Oh, it is more than complicated, it is infernal. You can only do your best in this kind of situation. Even on stringent diets, some fat cats hardly drop an ounce.
If it's any help, I feed the 'lite' version of Chicken Soup for the Soul, that way the fatties don't feel deprived and everyone gets (reasonably) good nutrition. They also get a spoonful of canned twice a day.
And I've learned to ignore the begging (but always leave something out overnight). They soon give up. Not stupid, moggies.

rainbow
May 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM
All I can do is sympathize with you as I have the same problem. My male is the little pig and my female is slow and picky. The only thing I do is if I see the male in her dish I move him to his (if there's still some left:D ) or else, if there isn't I just remove hers.

jiorji
May 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM
hahah gosh...i'm glad i'm not the only bad mother here. :D

the thought of "starving her" or giving her less food while my "kitten" pigs out is just cruel. When I got my Peanut from the shelter she was pretty much skin and bones. ANd now she's got a nice round tummy and to take her food away makes me feel so guilty. Yet i don't want her sick due to weight.

I wonder if i should switch to canned food. That way maybe they'll eat it all at once and I can feed morning and night and not worry about food pellets in the bowl getting eaten by the wrong kitty.
But then, I was told teeth are more likely to go bad with canned food.

I think i'll switch to less fatty food as my first step.

jiorji
May 17th, 2006, 03:12 PM
And I've learned to ignore the begging (but always leave something out overnight). They soon give up. Not stupid, moggies.

I can't ignore. My Twiggy will start crying and making all kinds of horrible sounds when she's hungry. And the "fat" one ;) gets very aggressive when she wants something. If she was a dog she would've bitten my face off by now. :evil:
She's free to walk in the room at night so if she gets ignored she knows how to use her claws to pounce on unsuspecting sleeping humans. :evil: Which is why I too leave food out at night

ARGH!! i need a plan!

cpietra16
May 17th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I really find that if the food is high enough the plump cat will not be able to jump for it like a skinny cat...it worked for my foster cat who was big. Once she can jump, then she has done exercise to get it and she has lost a few pounds...then put it higher and let her try to jump for it again....

badger
May 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM
How long have you had Peanut? Rescue cats often have completely out-of-control appetites, comes with near-starvation I guess, and having to compete constantly for whatever is available.
I thought Trevor would never get over his - if I was in the kitchen he would place himself under my feet until I fed him; even when there was food in front of him, he'd still run over to the cupboard, like a tic he couldn't shake. Amazingly, after a few months of this, it seems to be abating, he doesn't clean off his plate anymore and he rarely begs. Now Ebby has taken up the torch! So this constant 'hunger' is something that may well disappear over time.

Esaunders
May 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I've found the ultimate fat cat weight-loss plan.

Get an English setter puppy! :evil:

Now fat cat only avails himself of the food at the same times as the skinny kitty. (i.e. when puppy is asleep or not home) He's lost obvious weight in the past month+ (at least a few pounds, which should take him into the mid-teens) He looks great. The skinny kitty looks pretty much th esame as always.

The switch from Iams to Wellness seems to be helping to. He's definitely not as hungry. :highfive:

Esaunders
May 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM
double post:

chico2
May 17th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I have somewhat the same problem,Vinnie my youngest is a little piggy,maybe it comes from him having to scrounge for food before he was found,but if I do not watch out,he'll finish everybodies dishes and he is getting chunky.
My solution is to feed them all in different rooms,watch to make sure Vinnie does not sneak in and finish whatever Rocky and Chico left.
They split a small can twice a day and free-feed on dry,something I've always done with my cats.
Their dry food right now is,Chicken-soup light..
I had one fat cat once before,my wonderful Peppi(also white) who ended up with diabeties and later cancer,I don't want that to happen again.

jiorji
May 17th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I really find that if the food is high enough the plump cat will not be able to jump for it like a skinny cat...it worked for my foster cat who was big. Once she can jump, then she has done exercise to get it and she has lost a few pounds...then put it higher and let her try to jump for it again....

heheee...sorry I gotta laugh at that. It won't work. You see, my "fat" cat when she gets scared she'll jump on the stove the n up the fridge then up into the cupboards to hide. My skinny cat can only jump up to see out the window. She has never jumped on the cupboards.

jiorji
May 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM
How long have you had Peanut?

I've had her since October. And she had her spay operation and after that, her tummy went round real fast. I was warned spayed cats gaine weight real fast, but you know I didn't really listen as I was worried it would be difficult to put weight on her.

And she doesn't beg for food. She sits in the kitchen and waits hehe, and when the little one comes to whine for food, I swear I feel like she's asking me to get some to the fat one. Because I give little one food, and she walks off and then chubby comes to eat. Little trickster!

jiorji
May 17th, 2006, 06:36 PM
My solution is to feed them all in different rooms,watch to make sure Vinnie does not sneak in and finish whatever Rocky and Chico left.
They split a small can twice a day and free-feed on dry,something I've always done with my cats.

Chico, do you brush their teeth? Is that important with cats? I'm afraid that if i switch to wet food that i'll end up with teeth problems.

Sneaky
May 17th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Hi there,
I had a big cat, when we moved out on our own, he had
been fed Whiskas cat food, and was a hefty 30 pounder.
When I changed his food, I swapped to First Mate cat food,
which is primarily fish. Hes now a lean trim 22 pounds after
2 years on his First Mate.
My cats and dog all free feed throughout the day, but
the fish food and being outside more, really seems to have helped
him trim down.
Maybe you could try First Mate...its high in protein and low in fat
and carbs.

doggy lover
May 17th, 2006, 07:42 PM
cpietra16 I really find that if the food is high enough the plump cat will not be able to jump for it like a skinny cat...it worked for my foster cat who was big. Once she can jump, then she has done exercise to get it and she has lost a few pounds...then put it higher and let her try to jump for it again..

I do the same thing I have one cat thats 6lbs and the other is 13 and fat. It works for me, she is losing a little at a time but she is not gaining anymore so I guess its working.

chico2
May 18th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Jiorji,No I don't brush my cats teeth,I tried once,but I value my life:D
I do not believe wet food causes more tooth-decay than dry,any more than soft candy is worse for humans than hard candy.
Also UTI is far more serious and more painful to cats,than tartar on the teeth.
We have our cats teeth cleaned about every 2-3 yrs,some cats have naturally bad teeth,others don't,just like humans.
Since my cats free-feed on dry,whatever benefits they derive from chrunchy stuff they still get..but I feel they need the variety of canned food,I would not want to have to live on the same old dry stuff day in and day out:pawprint: