Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rotti ban being planned by Ont. Liberals.?

Akeeter
May 16th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I got an Email from Sambrok tonight that says:

Quote:"
We need to win this, and support the encouragement of responsible dog-ownership and proper enforcement. If we do not win, the government has already planned to table a ban on Rottweilers and any dog with similar characteristics, colouring, etc. What breed comes after that? "

O.K....What Ails These People?:sick: They are literally in the middle of a court challenge to Bill 132, & they are already planning a Rotti Ban?!:eek:

I think we all had an idea that this stuff was coming, just as it has happened in every other place that has resorted to BSL. -More & more & more breeds banned. ('Wonder what those those folks think now who thought that Bill 132 'Wasn't about Them'???):confused:

Luvmypit
May 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Figured that would happen. If they win this appeal you can bet your arse that they will add more breeds. They will see that it stands a constitutional challenge.

Hmm didn't Bryant say that he was not going to ban any other breeds? I mean I thought he was such an honest person, with good qualities and overal objective reasoning. No? I hate this guy with a passion more everyday.

happycats
May 17th, 2006, 10:26 AM
OMG this is crazy!!!
Next thing you know they will ban all breeds over 10 pounds!!! You know the potential for any dog over 10 pounds to kill is sooooooo great:rolleyes: !!

Lucky Rescue
May 17th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Anyone who owns a dog and figured that the pit bull ban "doesn't concern us" are going to see that it certainly does!

Lots of Rottie people who didn't want to get involved with fighting the pit bull ban are going to see why their help was requested.

What's next? Probably GSDs, Dobermans and on and on...

twodogsandacat
May 17th, 2006, 11:03 AM
They specifically said that they could not simply add breeds without more debate. I believe the press and the opposition would tear them apart if they tried to do so.

They banned pits even though Rottis (which is a breed involved with the last two deaths in Canada) where described as ‘not an issue’ by Byrant when Alex Pearson (CP24) questioned him. In both those cases the parents were not really the shiny examples of people that should own any large dogs.

Once again – question the source. Rumours are simply that. Now if rumours such as these got some Rotti owners off of their butts then good but I think right now that this would just be a rumour.

Georgiapeaches
May 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Anyone who owns a dog and figured that the pit bull ban "doesn't concern us" are going to see that it certainly does!

Lots of Rottie people who didn't want to get involved with fighting the pit bull ban are going to see why their help was requested.

What's next? Probably GSDs, Dobermans and on and on...

Well said!!

Georgiapeaches
May 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
They specifically said that they could not simply add breeds without more debate. I believe the press and the opposition would tear them apart if they tried to do so.

They banned pits even though Rottis (which is a breed involved with the last two deaths in Canada) where described as ‘not an issue’ by Byrant when Alex Pearson (CP24) questioned him. In both those cases the parents were not really the shiny examples of people that should own any large dogs.

Once again – question the source. Rumours are simply that. Now if rumours such as these got some Rotti owners off of their butts then good but I think right now that this would just be a rumour.

The government said they will not and can not add other breeds...but seriously, who trusts them right now? I'm not understanding why this possibility is not being taken seriously. Everyone knows the Lib's are full of it. They would love to look like they are doing even more for public safety by adding more "dangerous dogs" to the list. I don't trust one word spoken by them. I really hope more breeds aren't added and that this law is squashed.

Lise
May 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I have a collie,a beardie and a cairn.It does not matter what breed you have this is legislation that should scare ALL of us who live and work with dogs,This government has shown itself to completely corrupt and incompetant on pretty much everything.In the begining before the legslation passed I wrote my mpp and received a reply from him saying that the law would not be passed without public consultation with experts.Experts in what?I don't think any group that actually works with dogs has supported this idiotic law.If you have a dog get involved it is too important to allow any breed of dog to be banned.

Rottielover
May 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM
OH god....I knew they would try eventually, just did not know it would be this soon. I am going to contact my contact with RCC.... she what she knows... She knows all when it comes to BSL, and rottweilers...

Schwinn
May 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM
At this point, I agree with Twodogs, it is just a rumour. Until it is substantiated, I wouldn't put TOO much into it. That doesn't mean I don't think it's a possibility, I just think it needs to be verified before we become too excited.

Personally, I think it'd be the best thing that could happen, for them to try. The media and the public would rip them a new one. I'd love to see them try it before the case is over, and then lose the case. It'd be devastating for them to try, and then losing the case would negate any addition they try to make.

Georgiapeaches
May 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I don't think it has ever been stated they are trying to do it while the case is ongoing. I believe it was stated that adding more breeds has only been contemplated and that if the consitutional challenge is not won the government quite possibly could add more.

twodogsandacat
May 17th, 2006, 01:28 PM
The government said they will not and can not add other breeds...but seriously, who trusts them right now? I'm not understanding why this possibility is not being taken seriously.

I have the video at home where he was interviewed by Alex and he clearly calls Rottis a non issue. How could he justify it now because we all know he was provided ALL the facts and Alex questioned him on it. I guess he would have to say he was wrong….not bloody likely. New facts have come to light…too late he had the facts. It would be disastrous for them.

There is nothing to stop a municipality form adding breeds though. Of course that would create the same kind of patch work of bans on Rottis which Mr. Bryant said he was solving as far as pits were concerned.

Still every dog owner that sees this as BS should of stood up to fight it.

babyrocky1
May 17th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Once again – question the source. Rumours are simply that. Now if rumours such as these got some Rotti owners off of their butts then good but I think right now that this would just be a rumour. I agree, it probably is a rumour. Ive always held the belief that the whole pit bull ban form Bryants point of view was nothing more than a publicity stunt of epic proportions. Not to say that he wouldnt do it if there was something in it for him, but there is nothing in it that would benefit him personally so I dont think its a problem. BUT if this challenge is un-successful, then certainly its "open season" for any other government, provincial or municipal to go breed banning crazy!

Oswaldsmum
May 20th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Rumour or not, we all know that when it comes to getting press, the Liberals aren't immune to turning any debate into exactly what they want. Look at the evidence brought in by the experts at the hearings. Wasn't it something like over 80% opposed and many very good alternatives offered, and yet when it was over, Bryant was more convinced that pit bulls were a danger to society?

No, if he wants to, he'll add pomeranians, maltese and teacup poodles to the ban and label them all under an umbrella name like "Lap Dog" ban and say that it's to protect the elderly and children of Ontario from leg scratches and playful nips.

Meanwhile, hundreds are getting killed from illegal guns, but hey, that's not Bryant's problem, it's the crazy border guards that are letting the guns into the country, isn't it?

Maybe he should consider banning Border Guards.

Back to topic (sorry), I agree...EVERY dog owner should be afraid of this law. If those idiots get back in next year, there'll be no telling what other rights they'll take away from not only dog owners.

Go Mr. Ruby GO!

JessXx
May 22nd, 2006, 01:12 PM
THEY CAN'T DO THAT!!!!!! but they can-
geeze... I hope it doesn't come down to that... soon
it'll be huskies and- oh I hate to think of what next....
WHY ARE THEY MAKING IT SO HARD FOR INNOCENT DOGS
TO LIVE IN PEACE?

glasslass
May 22nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Don't forget those ankle-biting chihuahuas! All dog owners need to fight BSL!

Loki
May 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
http://winnipegsun.com/News/Manitoba/2006/05/21/1590579-sun.html

In Manitoba.

Gotta love this: "He admitted he's not sure any pit bulls currently pose a threat to Oakville, or even live within the town. "

White Wolf
May 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Threads merged (same topic).

mafiaprincess
May 22nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah I saw the first beading of the manitoba bad which inludes rotties had happened. Was sad even though it's still so early on.

chico2
May 22nd, 2006, 02:50 PM
Loki,I saw Oakville and I thought"No Way!",then I read it has a population of 500 people,obviously not my Oakville..

Loki
May 22nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Loki,I saw Oakville and I thought"No Way!",then I read it has a population of 500 people,obviously not my Oakville..

Yeah, that's why I put it in a different thread. I thought it would be confused with Oakville Ontario, otherwise. :sorry: