Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat problem...

Maxine
May 16th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Hi everyone! Ok, maybe it is nothing new for you and I really tried to look to threads that was similar to my problem, but the answers (really good though!) All end up in a medical problem. Let me explain.

I have two beautiful lovely black sister cats. Bonnie and Mallory (Mal.). My common in law and I moved the 1st of April. We got our dog in January. But since march, our kitties start peeing on our clothes or somewhere else in the apartment. Our new apartement is nothing but carpet. It is really no fun to come home from work in a apartment that smells like cat pee and it's hard to find where it is...

I went to the vet to give them their shots and Mal peed on the vet's floor. I ask him to test it for any uti... Negative. I start thinking it can be some stress from the dog ( Bonnie or Mal peed on one of his toy). I'm making an apointment for spaying them soon, but my vet said it might not be the problem (don't worry, I'm not canceling the appointment ;) and if its psychological problem, what should I do?

Thank you

jessi76
May 17th, 2006, 09:19 AM
sounds like stress to me. You've had the dog since January, and they didn't do this from the start? Is the dog stressing them out more now that he's older? does he chase them?

Do the cats have an area that is just their's and the dog isn't allowed to go?
sort of a "safe" room. I'm not sure if this is an option in your new apartment.

As for the existing odors... get a black light and some cleaner made specifically for urine. Find ALL the spots - and CLEAN them really well w/ the special cleaner.

LM1313
May 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Does the dog have access to the room with the litterbox? He could be hanging around, making the cats uncomfortable about going there if it's "unprotected." He could also be eating their poop--I'm sorry to say that many dogs love it!

~LM~

Lucky Rescue
May 17th, 2006, 11:02 AM
If these are adult, unspayed females who have moved to a new home, and now have a dog present, I"m not suprised they are peeing innapropriately since they are no doubt very stressed.

Cats should be spayed before their first heat. Their intact status alone would be enough to cause the peeing, never mind everything else.

Is the dog loose in the apartment? Allowed to chase or annoy the cats in any way?

Maxine
May 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Thank you for the replies!

Yes, the dog has access to their litter space, but we don't have a big appartment so it is easy to keep an eye on everybody. When we are not home, Lex is staying in the washroom so he won't chase the cats or even destroy the house. Their food are in a quiet space where the dog don't go. I hope I answered the questions! I do believe it is stress or jealousy but I really hope that spaying them will help! If not, I don't really know what to do....
BTW, I cleaned the spots I found with water-vinegar-baking soda.

badger
May 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Sorry to bring this up...is the dog in the bathroom all day?

I agree with all of the above. Even if they grow to tolerate a dog, cats need their own space. Is the dog loose at night? If you confine him and let the cats roam (including - especially - to their litter box), at least they'll know that this is their time, without any distractions of the canine type.
What happens during the day when the cats need the litterbox, with the dog in the bathroom? I'm just trying to get a picture in my mind of your situation.
I wonder if a second litter box would help, at the other end of the apartment so they can always get there.

dogmelissa
May 17th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Thank you for the replies!
Yes, the dog has access to their litter space, but we don't have a big appartment so it is easy to keep an eye on everybody. When we are not home, Lex is staying in the washroom so he won't chase the cats or even destroy the house. Their food are in a quiet space where the dog don't go. I hope I answered the questions! I do believe it is stress or jealousy but I really hope that spaying them will help! If not, I don't really know what to do....
BTW, I cleaned the spots I found with water-vinegar-baking soda.

I wanted to share with you my story. My kitty Aubrie came to me as an ~2 yr old from the Humane Society. At the time, she was an only-kitty in an apartment. She occassionally had problems using the litter box, especially if it was dirty, or we had visitors who scared her. After moving, we realized that she was very lonely (would cuddle for hours on end and was depressed). We got 2 more cats to keep her company (was only going to get one, but the other was going to be euthanized so we got her too). She was much better, but still had occassional "accidents" in the apartment. Again, seemed to be related to the box not being cleaned enough.
Then I split with the guy I was with, and he took one of the cats, and I kept Aubrie and Rusty. This was when I'd had them for almost 3 years. I moved to a new apartment and rescued a kitten. As he grew and became part of the group, Aubrie seemed to have less and less desire to use the litter box, peeing next to it, in the same room, or on the rug in the entry. I had her checked twice, no medical problems. For 3 cats, I had 4 litter boxes, but they were all in the same room, because I had no choice in the apartment.
Then I moved to a condo with a basement. Took all the kitties with me! I had 5 boxes, all in the basement, spread out so that no one could get trapped or would have to wait for another to come out. Still she peed on the floor, and now started pooping about once a week or so. Given that it was in the basement on bare concrete, I mostly ignored it, cleaning it up but not really trying to change it. She was happy otherwise.
Then I rescued a dog (MalteseX)--was supposed to be temporary, but ended up being permanent. Dog was kept kenneled in the house during the day and during the night. Aubrie's bathroom habits didn't change.
Now we're talking recent... last December (been in Condo a year), I bought a house with my bf and we moved. I now have 5 litter boxes in the house for 3 cats, 2 upstairs and 3 downstairs, in case they have an urge and can't get to the other end of the house. At first, Aubrie didn't pee anywhere *but* the litter box. Then after about 2 months in the house, she started peeing again, this time on the carpet in my office! I know what it's like to come home and smell pee and not be able to find it. Yuck. She went in to the vet again, this time blood tests, urinalysis and basic exam, and she's physically perfect. So I tried this special litter. It's called CatAttract. I bought it at PetSmart. It's expensive, but we've had very good success with it. I don't know what it's in but it has 100% litter-box use or your money back. Can't hurt to try, right? Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/owmny (this is American so price is wrong).
One other thing I did, which you probably won't want to do, is buy and modify a wire dog kennel to have a magnetic cat door on it. Inside the kennel I have her food and a litter box filled exclusively with the CatAttract litter. I scoop the box 3-4 times a day, as part of her problem seems to be that she doesn't like a dirty box. She and Rusty are the only ones who have "keys" to the kennel (this was originally a feeding solution as the other cat eats everything he can!). This way she isn't harassed when she wants to eat or go to the bathroom. She also doesn't like the smell of Taz's pee, so this box is one that he can't pee in. You may want to try one of the auto-scoop boxes if you think that it's a cleanliness issue for your cats (and to keep the dog out of the poo!).
One other thing; vinegar does not help to get rid of cat urine. Urine is acidic, and the only way to neutralize it is with a base. Baking soda is a base, and good, but not good enough. Vinegar is an acid, and really only adds to the problem (we don't think so but for a cat, it does). I have had *great* success with a product a PetSmart called PetZyme (http://tinyurl.com/prvg3). Considering the number of animals I have and the number of messes I've cleaned up, I would know. At one point I was going through a 4L jug of this stuff every month. When they have an "accident", a good cleaning with this stuff (follow directions) and they didn't go back to the same spot. It smells nice, too. Try it. Also use it in the laundry with clothes, rugs etc that they pee on. If it's been a long time before you noticed it, or treated with other cleaners, this may not get the smell out, and you're better off throwing the item away. You can also add it to carpet shampooers. I personally prefer a good soaking with this stuff and then leave it alone until it's dry (they recommend blotting excess up, but I just leave it). They also make one specific for cats, but I don't think there's any difference.

If you have any other questions or want to see pictures of my kennel thing, email me dogmelissa@yahoo.com

Hope that helped, sorry about the length, and good luck.
Melissa

doggy lover
May 17th, 2006, 06:45 PM
My sisters female cat use to pee in her house, she got her fixed and it ended the problem.

Maxine
May 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Wow! Really good idea for the modified kennel! Actually dogmelissa, thank you for all the ideas! I will try them and give you guy feedbacks!

As for the bathroom thing, it is big, it is ventilated and the litterbox is not in it. My bf has a business at home so the dog rarely in it :p I will try to post some pictures of my little family when i figure out how to compress them a lot!