Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Air Canada Ban on Pets in Cabin

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Is anyone else concerned about AC's recent decision re pets in the cabin? I was appalled when I heard this - even discussed it with the pres of prov SPCA tho she just said "well there is always Westjet." I refuse to put YY or the other girls in cargo - and this seems to be the result (once again!) of irresponsible owners. Some male passenger had his cat on his lap (a big no no, even for the cat's safety much less the allergies of his fellow passengers.)

AC knows or should know the medical needs of their passengers and it seems to me this policy is simply too broad. I am bringing a resolution to the medical Society so wish me luck!! (There are medications for allergies, most of which are not severe and this is self limiting in an airplane. For ppl with severe allergies, I can see the airline making alternate arrangements.)

It just seems like a knee jerk reaction when so many of us travel with our fur babies! How do others feel? Any lobbies occuring that anyone know of, or lawsuits? If I could find enough people, I would launch a class action suit myself. I won't travel on AC in the meantime if I can help - sometimes, one's choices are limited but at least Hfx has Delta to travel to the US.

And I have heard more than my share of horror stories from my patients who have flown AC - one child needed a stretcher and the airline wanted to charge the family for THREE seats!! We arranged alternate transporation thru the govt. There are othere. Thus, I do not believe this is purely a medical decision!

BMDLuver
May 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I would unfortunately have to agree that I wouldn't be too happy flying Business Class somewhere and being seated beside a cat. I just have to go into the cat area of the SPCA in order to need my pump, so travelling in a confined space for a few hours with a cat would most likely result in having to spend a night in hospital afterwards. It would be the same were it a golden retriever or another blonde haired dog, so it's not just cat directed. People pay a fair amount of money to travel on a plane, so I think they too have to be considered. Not everyone can just pop a pill and ride it out nor should they have to be asked to do so. But that's JMHO.

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I understand what you are saying BMD but most allergies are not that severe - if you use an inhaler, then yours must be asthma related or your allergies more severe than the norm? Alas, this person had the cat out in the open and I thin kthe airline can find a way to place cats or dogs - and usually they only allowed one per trip - and that seems wise - as far from an allergy sufferers as possible or not permit any pets if anyone has known allerges.

This all or nothing strategy is too extreme and does not account for the many ppl who need to take their pets with them. (and if they are going to implement this policy, then they need to change the air quality of the cargo section and train their personnel accordingly. They cannot have it both ways.)

Nor can they claim this is a "medical" choice when I can list over 100 incidents when they have been in clear violation - no oxygen, denial of service to children who needed a flight, it's endless and a bit hypocritical.

I realize I have a vested interest because I travel by air (on occasion) with my cat but she always is in her carrier which as per regulations in UNDER the seat. It is always ppl who do not follow the rules that make things difficult for the rest of us.

I travelled recently - and was ill, undergoing chemo - and I did NOT choose AC. The airline was well equipped for that - tho I could have cared for myself I suppose, lol (Tho I guess the same might be said for doctors as for lawyers, a fool for a client and all that). But I have heard so many horror stories about AC - and Air Nova here - that I just find this decision hard to take in view of my own personal experience.

So much for my aierplan miles I guess, lol

joeysmama
May 16th, 2006, 09:59 PM
My brother has two forms of diabetes. Diabetes insipidus and diabetes mellitus. One of these requires a nasal spray as a form of controlling the symptoms of the disease. This is not common ubt it does affect him.

When he is around cats his nose runs. Not a dire reaction but reaction enough to prevent his medication from working. And that has more severe consequences.

This isn't as easy as it looks on the surface. Some allergies are very severe.

technodoll
May 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM
cat allergies don't bother me unless the cats are "in my face" kinda thing, but my bf is *horribly* allergic... he once put on a clean, laundered sweatshirt given to him by a friend, who has two cats at home (he did NOT know there were cats in that home before he tried on the sweater). 2 minutes later he started wheezing and had a horrible asthma attack, he was blue and gasping for breath, he was sick for two days after that... we pinpointed the cause after and sure enough, found one or two cat hairs still on the sweater.

if he had to get on a flight that had even one cat on board... it would be very dangerous for his health, unfortunately... there is only so much a Ventilin pump can do :(

Prin
May 16th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Nobody I know who has a cat allergy has a mild allergy. Most of them get instant reactions that last hours. On top of that, airplane circulation is so bad that the dander would just circulate over and over and thicken as the plane flies.

No way! Even if I'm not allergic to cats, I could never do that to anybody with allergies. Sure there are allergy meds, but again, NOBODY I know does well on them. They might reduce the symptoms but they don't get rid of them entirely.

The person sitting next to you paid just as much for their ticket as you did, so why should they have to suffer through itchy eyes, sneezing and a runny nose on the plane? Also, having an allergic reaction on the plane when there are already hundreds of bacteria blowing around waiting for the perfect compromised immune system is bad too.

As a doctor, I would expect YOU of all people CK to understand the gravity of allergies and to put the greater common good above your own selfishness. But I guess that's why Air Canada had to put in a policy like this- because some people simply don't think about how other people feel.

erykah1310
May 16th, 2006, 10:43 PM
My mother has SERIOUS cat allergies, when i go there to visit her i have to change clothes immediately before going there and not touch anything in my house until i leave! If she is around a cat her throat will start to swell ( as it would for someone with food allergies) Even to go into a house that HAD a cat she gets a reaction.
I think its respectful that animals are not in direct contact with people with allergies. And as it was stated earlier the dander would just float and get recurculated. Its not appropriate that my mother and others like her should have to get all medicated to fly.
Im sorry but as much as i love animals and feel that they should be treated like children, there is still some places that they just shouldnt be.
We have to respect our fellow humans too, not all of them who dont have pets are bad people!

OntarioGreys
May 17th, 2006, 07:34 AM
AC knows or should know the medical needs of their passengers and it seems to me this policy is simply too broad.

Under Ontario medical privacy/confidentally act they do not even have the right to ask, not even my employer is allowed details of my health unless it is a injury or illness that occured at work. The only way they would know is if the passenger wished to diclose that they were severely allergic to pets

And I have heard more than my share of horror stories from my patients who have flown AC - one child needed a stretcher and the airline wanted to charge the family for THREE seats!! We arranged alternate transporation thru the govt.

AC is a business not a charity, those running AC must answer to their shareholders who invest money with the goal to earn money, each seat on a plane has a value, when filled by a paying customer, they will have caps on what they can give away, a lot of that is decided prior in shareholder mettings I run a part time business myself making greyhound collars and coats and do at times offer merchandise to adoption/rescue groups, those with with a sick or injured animal needed financial help or to those trying to raise money for medical research as fundraisers, so I do get a fair number of requests, but if I said yes to every request I would be operating my business in the red plus would be using all my free time on just creating donation items, so I have to pick and choose and it is possible some may feel I am being selfish as a result for denying them , even big business has to put limits on how much they can afford to donate, just based on my experiences as a small part time company, I would not be surprised if AC get a few dozen requests for charity on a daily basis.

I imagine AC has has a number of lawsuits or threats of because people are having allergic reaction to pets, while aboard one of their planes, that impacts finances and if the toll is getting high, the shareholders themselves are going to demand that pets be kept out of the cabin, if it aff4ects their income, You may feel that having your pet in the cabin is a right, but ask anyone else that has a pet that is too large to fit under a seat and they may tell you it is discrimination since their pets are not allowed to be in the cabin like yours, I am sure that causes a lot of hassles and harrassment for AC employees when it come to a pet that is 1/2 to and 1" too big according to the regulations to fit in a crate that will fit under the seat, often the easiest solution is to make the same rules for all pets.

SnowDancer
May 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I flew my 10 lb. mini Dachshund once in-cabin on an overseas flight but I followed AC's instructions and kept him in his crate. Other passengers on the plane had small dogs and cats and each was out on laps supposedly "hidden" on their laps - not successfully. In several cases, passengers adjacent passengers complained - not that they had allergies - they just felt that pet should have been kept in its crate. I felt so sorry for my little guy - especially at meal time - his face with its "where is mine" look on it - but I was not about to get him bounced from in-cabin on the connecting flight - or worse - from the entire return journey. The connection was on Lufthansa and the flight was only half full - and well a little adorable Dappled German Dachshund on a German Airline - what can I say - the flight attendants took him out to admire him so that was okay. I don't know if Lufthansa is going to change its policy but with so many of the Luft flights to Europe from Toronto/Montreal being co-shares with AC - using AC planes, the point is mute - as the AC policy would be in effect. When I was first checking into flying my guy I saw that the dreaded Alitalia allowed pets - but not on the only type of planes that they fly from Toronto - so toast. British Airways doesn't allow any in-cabin pets - even if not entering the UK. Now that we have a 24 lb. dog we no longer have the option - fortunately this dog can be boarded. Personally I would rather have a pet as a seat companion than many of the passengers I have sat beside - but then I prefer pets. I still think it ludicrous that the trains - neither Via or Amtrak will allow pets in the compartments - they could even have a couple of cars devoted simply to people with pets. The buses as well. What is really needed is service from Toronto and area to Guelph Small Animal Clinic.

CyberKitten
May 17th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Prin,

Contrary to what you assume - and you are leaping to a very incorrect conclusion - I am NOT insensitive to ppl with allergies. I just think the airlines need to forward a better policy. There are so few ppl who actually take their cats in the cabin and unlike say an allergy to peanut butter, allergies to cats are rarely fatal - unless someone is extraordinarily allergic and it leads to anaphylactic shock, something any allergist or respirologist will tell you does not occur with allergies to cats.

Are your allergies fatal?

I am fighting a fatal illness myself (both personally and in my work) so I understand all too well what that can be like.I have several times been ill; on a flight and airlines make no allowances. ALL I am saying is do not put allergy sufferers and cats on the same plane - it can be done if it is handled properly but the airlines - like all bureaucracies - seek the easy way out.

I returned to this forum because I thought ppl were understanding and not to renew old debates. I am not sure I am in any frame of mind to debate here, sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! (I thought I felt better - maybe not.) There are too many harsh comments made without taking into account that wse are all sensitive caring human beings. I guess because I am somewhat weak physically, I find myself tearing over this issue - all because I posted a simple question. This should not be. We need to be kind to one another, even in debate!

I try not to judge others so please do not judge me.

Prin
May 17th, 2006, 12:37 PM
What do you expect them to do? Ask all 300 passengers if they are allergic to cats and to what degree because ONE person wants to bring a cat on board? That's not logical at all.

And cat allergies not fatal? How about the asthma attacks they provoke? Are those not fatal either?

And speaking of cancer, how about the people with weakened immune systems who are told by their doctors that being around cats can kill them? Cats are so laden with bacteria that anybody with a very compromised immune system can catch anything from flesh eating disease to E. coli. Are you willing to put all those people at risk too?

Seriously CK, if my boyfriend was on the plane having a severe asthma attack and there was a person on the plane with a cat, and that person turned out to be a doctor, of all people, there would definitely be consequences. You know? You kind of expect a doctor to know better, if they are indeed what they claim to be.

As for peanut allergies, most airlines stopped serving peanuts of any kind because there are so many people with allergies. So does that mean the rest of us should protest that we have to fly for hours without the pleasure of peanuts, too?

mafiaprincess
May 18th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Was reading this on another forum.. The abuse of having a 'service animal'

"here have also been at least two instances (on American and Delta) in which airlines have been presented with emotional support goats. Ms. McLallen said the airline flies service animals every day; all owners need to do is show up with a letter from a mental health professional and the animal can fly free in the cabin."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/fashion/sundaystyles/14PETS.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&ei=5087%0A&en=5fb09e06dec41522&ex=1147838400&oref=slogin

Puppyluv
May 18th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Because Layla has to fly in cargo (due to size) I've always felt a little unsympathetic to those with small animals who complain about the standards set up for flying with their pet in the cabins. This goes beyond airplanes too. I work in a rich area of town (don't live there, just work there ;)) in a food-service establishment. Now call me crazy, but animals shoudln't be allowed in at all, but they are, so long as you can carry them. A small dog or cat can cause just as much of an allergic reaction as a large one, they are just as likely to pee/poo in the store or on an airplane as a large one, but large ones are no-nos and small ones are "awww how cute!".
Layla (for example) could fit under an airplane seat if she had to (you would not believe how small she can curl herself up) but the airlines have always said no, and I do not question this, both for her safety, and because I just don't think it's fair to anyone else on the plane to bring a dog on board. I would only feel comfortable bringing any pet on board if I had personally checked with every single passenger and employee (and fat chance of that happening!)
Cats have so much dander, and the air on planes is recycled so extensively that the dander will likely still be circulating not only on your flight, but on the next one too. Are you going to check to see if the next flight has any allergic/asthmatic passengers on it too?
I'm all for believing that pets are a member of the family, but since when is having your pet at your feet more important than the health of the other people on the plane?
I actually applaud AC for making a standard that applies to all animals, no more favortism for size; an animal is an animal no matter its size.

joeysmama
May 18th, 2006, 09:02 AM
No one is judging--just disagreeing.

Perhaps cat allergies are not fatal, but in some circumstances they can trigger other physical reactions which are QUITE serious, if not potentially fatal.

Asthma is not a minor medical condition.

If my brother were in a situation which caused his medications to be ineffective(being around cats !) that would be placing his health in serious jeopardy.

mastifflover
May 18th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I agree with you puppyluv. I have been on a flight with one of those little yappy dogs that did not stop barking for 45 minutes straight. Mind you I have to thank the dog I recieved a free flight voucher for the miserable flight. It pays to complain. I asked why they allow these dogs on and the flight attendant said that because "rich woman have to carry their accessories on planes" She said most attendants do not like it, and it is not fair to the other passengers.

BMDLuver
May 18th, 2006, 09:55 AM
There are so few ppl who actually take their cats in the cabin and unlike say an allergy to peanut butter, allergies to cats are rarely fatal - unless someone is extraordinarily allergic and it leads to anaphylactic shock, something any allergist or respirologist will tell you does not occur with allergies to cats.

Are your allergies fatal?

I'll address this portion of your post...

Here's how it goes... I am around a new cat or a few new cats... my airways close up, I take the inhaler, it helps mildly to open things up.. I then have to find an open aired area to try to get my breathing under control.. I take more pump.. I start breathing a bit better... If I were on an airline and someone beside me had a cat... I can't just do that... and yes, I've been rushed to hospital and put on oxygen in order to be able to breathe again... this may be extreme but I could very well suffocate sitting in a cabin beside a cat.. so yes, allergies can be fatal not just those causing anaphylactic shock. So whomever the allergists or respirologists you are referring to are.. I rather doubt they would say this cannot occur with cat allergies.

The intent is not to bash you but to point out that you are not at all correct in your information about cat allergies.

poodletalk
May 18th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Cyberkitten, I really do hope your feeling better and don't take comments personally. You have enough on your mind with your own health and the health of all the children in the hospital needing you without feeling we are attacking you. We are just expressing different point of views....

With that being said, I wouldn't want to board my dogs into cargo, I would be very worried about them getting lost or killed. They are big dogs and I wouldn't have much of a choice. If I had a smaller dog or a cat I would love to bring it on board but I don't think it would be fair to the other passengers.

I like cats, sometimes I have a hard time breathing around them same thing when people smoke. If I had to sit beside a cat, what would I do if I hard time breathing?

Also, I know a girl who's flying back to BC with her 2 cats and a small dog. The dog is going to be under her chair in his carrying case while the cats are boarded in cargo.

This dog is a barker....I am sure he's going to drive all the passengers crazy with his barking...I don't think that's fair to the other passengers listening to him non stop barking for 5-6 hours.

Airlines also have to think of cultural difference as well, I have neighbours from another country who thinks dogs are dirty....when they see my dogs they have afit even though they are on leashes and well behaved.

Their children just asked me recently if it's true dogs eat children? My neighbors would refuse to sit beside someone with a dog or a cat beside them... which would delay their aircraft and make a late arrival for the rest of the pasengers.

I think aircrafts should increase their safety of the animals who are in cargo.

technodoll
May 18th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I think aircrafts should increase their safety of the animals who are in cargo.

poodletalk, that is a VERY good point. if pets were better treated in cargo, a lot more pet owners would feel safer having their furkids travel that way. In some flights, for examples Montreal - Chicago on AC, they do not regulate the heat in the cargo area!! :eek: so in winter pets freeze to death, and in summer they suffocate! and what about pressurization, noise level, etc? :confused:

Puppyluv
May 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM
In some flights, for examples Montreal - Chicago on AC, they do not regulate the heat in the cargo area!! :eek: so in winter pets freeze to death, and in summer they suffocate! and what about pressurization, noise level, etc? :confused:

You have been misinformed on this. I had to fly with Layla in Cargo, and this website scared the sh!t out of me before hand, because everyone (except for a few people) were full of "don't do it!"s and horror stories. I did an amazing amount of research. My dad had his travel agent do a tonne of research, I talked to all levels of management at AC. If an airplane lacks temperature regulation in the cargo, they will absolutely refuse to take any animals on board. No ifs ands or buts about it. They only ever allow animals in temp and pressure regulated cargo holds.
It is the spreading of misinformation like this that causes issues.
I would put Layla in cargo again no problem. I talked to the Baggage handlers on either end of my flight and they all commented on how wonderful she was-no barking or anything. They kept her in the terminal as long as possible and boarded her last and unloaded her first (I was sitting right above the cargo hatch, and watched her being loaded) They were extremely gentle with her, and they use big straps to strap the kennels in place.

technodoll
May 18th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Puppylove, respectfully, do not assume that i am assuming - i got this information directly from AC myself. My friend was considering shipping a puppy to its new owner in late December, and was told the 1.5 hour flight to Chicago was NOT heat-regulated and that if your dog was a nordic breed it would probably be OK in a crate of blankets, but otherwise they did not assume responsibility and did not recommend flying dogs in the winter on that route. An AC agent told me this via phone, and needless to say the flight was NOT booked. my friend DROVE the puppy to Chicago, 18 hours in the snow. So your information is not necessarily the same as mine, who's to say who is right? did the AC agent lie to me and was he an idiot who knew nothing about his job? i doubt it.

Prin
May 18th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Hmm.... I worked for AC for a bit (in the baggage) and I don't recall anything about temp control. They do have to account for oxygen, because a lot of stuff is transported with dry ice, which consumes oxygen to stay cold. They have to balance the amount of cold cargo with the number of breathers, but other than that, I never heard of any other adjustments for pets.

Puppyluv
May 18th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I wish I still had my old laptop, because it has all of the emails between myself, my travel agent and two regional heads of AC. We had lengthy exchanges about their regulations on pets in cargo, and how they wouldn't let them on certain flights since the cargos werent temp regulated.
I can't explain the differences in information from different AC employees, but I do have faith in the knowledge/honesty of execs that high on the totem pole.

badger
May 18th, 2006, 06:47 PM
The couple of times I've flown cats in cargo to the west coast, it was during the winter, and I had to book on certain planes with temperature-controlled holds. Never had a problem. I always chose the most direct routes (forget Westjet) and the cats did OK, without sedatives. I was worried sick of course, couldn't wait to lay my eyes on them at the other end. I remember asking a flight attendant to check on Badger mid-flight. She did it!

I do agree with banning them from the cabin though; a partial solution would be unmanageable. The staff don't need the added stress of policing irresponsible owners who think Fluffy would be better in their lap and screw everyone else.

As it is, they will only take a certain number of animal crates per flight. It used to be $40 to ship a cat in a medium crate with AC, it is now $120 I believe.

mafiaprincess
May 18th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Sidebar Question..

I've only ever flown once, before I had a dog..
Out of curiosity, I was looking at AC's pet page.. and it says a dog + kennel weight must be 70 pounds or less, while making mention of flying your chi or dane..

So what do you do when you have a big paw and you really need to fly them?

Puppyluv
May 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I think you have to pay an additional fee.. but I'm not entirely sure if that's right.

Brat
May 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Sidebar Question..

I've only ever flown once, before I had a dog..
Out of curiosity, I was looking at AC's pet page.. and it says a dog + kennel weight must be 70 pounds or less, while making mention of flying your chi or dane..

So what do you do when you have a big paw and you really need to fly them?
Exactly what I was wondering. My boy is almost 100 pounds. What if I needed to move and had to take a plane to get there. Of course I would want him coming with me. Do they offer this service?

CyberKitten
May 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I almost did not look back here, was sooooo upset about the entire thing but this has been a chemo week for me and I get emotional sometimes at that time. And yes, I did take the comments very personally and meant no disrespect toward ppl with allergies - I have allergies too. My sister is allergic to cats and still has 3 - she just loves them too much to ever give them up and there are so many alternatives now.

I guess I was also thinking about how the last time I flew AC, here I was sick as a well you know, lol - and there was someone with strep throat next to me, (He offered this info, sigh!) a potentially fatal situation for anyone with cancer!! It was too late to be reassigned but I did come down with it the next week. Believe me, I was not happy. So if AC is truly and really concerned with health - and I do not think they are (It is a marketing ploy imho) - they would care about all of their passengers, not just ones with one condition.

That pales in comparison to some of the stories my patients and their parents have told me - and some flight attendants are good but often airlines cannot be bothered to help even sick or dying children and to me that is inexcusable, no matter how "caring" they claim to be about allergies. So that all colours how I see them - it is hypocritical to say you are concerned about people's health and then to exclude illnesses that can kill in no time. I had one patient who had just undergone a bone marrow transplant and was flying home and they treated him and his family so badly that he was back in hospital within the week!!!!

And no, I don't think litigation is the solution, unless someone dies and thankfully by the grace of God, while at least a few of my young patients badly treated by AC have died, while AC did not help their cause, knowing what I know about the law - it is uncertain whether that would be a wise course of action. Not to mention families need to move on. But they do need a uniform policy to show they are about ALL their clients. To me, it is a civil rights issue.

I will never fly with them again if I can help it - and hopefully can use my Aeroplan pts for Delta or another one of their European partners.

Anyway - that's my rant about AC, lol YY and I will travel on WestJet. I cannot imagine anyone taking their cat out inside the cabin - that also is irresponsible and inexcusable to me but so is travelling while you have a communicable illness. But that begs the question of how one checks that, sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and I also believe in civil liberties.

As for ascertaining re illnesses, I happen to know their database could easily determine that. (I know someone who helped to design for the company they contract to) Sure, mistakes would occur on occasion but a few clicks of the mouse would instruct their ppl where to place ppl. Most ppl with medical needs can ask for special attention so I assume allergy sufferers with severe issues must do that if they are inordinately concerned.

I am soooooooo sorry for bringing this up. I have found much support for my position amg my medical collegaues though so that makes me feel better and that is the route I will utilize from now on.

The fact this distresses me tells me I still need to get better. I hate the idea of pets in cargo - I have researched that issue and read the reports of the NTSB and the Cdn agencies and there are too many deaths, lost pets and serious injuries. I cannot and will not subject my cat to that.

Maybe we will have to find an airline for pets only (thinking of Fido) or I'll get my pilot's licence and buy a plane, lol I do see less airline travel in YY's future tho.

OntarioGreys
May 21st, 2006, 12:16 AM
Maybe one day we will see airlines like Companion Air

http://www.companionair.com/index.php

jesse's mommy
May 21st, 2006, 07:45 AM
Wow they are expensive!

chico2
May 21st, 2006, 08:20 AM
After reading all the post and having no experience with flying with pets,I was not going to comment,but first off,I would NEVER fly AC again,unless there was absolutely no other choice.
Our trip to Stockholm,Sweden via London was a flight of horrors,bad,bad service,cramped seats etc..
I would honestly be terrified of having to leave my cats in cargo and would only do so with 100% guarantee they will be fine.
My cats howl in the car on trips to the vet,it would be impossible to keep them in the cabin of a plane and until airlines start to improve the cargo-area for animals,my cats would have to stay grounded.
But don't expect AC to do that anytime soon,they are cutting service to the bare minimum.
Cyberkitten,please don't take comments here to heart,knowing how you feel about your cats as I do for mine,of course their safety would be your biggest concern.
I have no allergies,it's a Canadian disease:D it seems almost everyone is allergic to something here,must be the humidity:D But I can symphatize with allergy-sufferers,I've seen it in action,,
Seeing so many people travel with their pets,the one airline that decides to accomodate animals in a safe,heated,pressurized area,will become very popular..but it won't be AC.:mad:

LM1313
May 22nd, 2006, 09:29 AM
I would have a very hard time putting an animal into a cargo hold after that prize whippet got away from Delta. If a champion showdog can get away, how much attention are they going to pay to my mixed breed moggies and mutts? Those baggage handlers sling bags all day, are they really going to carefully set the crates down in the hold. Sure, the airlines will tell you they will. But WILL they?

How much are baggage handlers paid? I know the UPS handlers are notorious for throwing around fragile packages due to being overworked, underpaid, and constantly disgruntled and stressed out. Not that you can ship animals by UPS (I hope!), but if airline baggage handlers are paid similarly, I'd worry about the same problem.

I was on a flight from Salt Lake City to Spokane next to a lady with three daschunds, each in their own little crate, and they were fine. They didn't bark at all. The lady was more annoying, as she started asking me if I "knew Jesus." Hoo boy. :rolleyes:

~LM~

glasslass
May 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Why can't they design planes with a "passengers with pets area" separate from a "no pets area"? It would require a separate ventilation system. Personally, I would be willing to pay more if my pet could remain with me. How about those doggie meals, and treats?

OntarioGreys
May 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
How much are baggage handlers paid? I know the UPS handlers are notorious for throwing around fragile packages due to being overworked, underpaid, and constantly disgruntled and stressed out. Not that you can ship animals by UPS (I hope!), but if airline baggage handlers are paid similarly, I'd worry about the same problem.

I don't know about UPS but I did learn USPS will ship live chickens, one person in the US from another dog forum enjoys fancy chickens as pets and she had ordered a couple which got lost in the mail and finally show up 2 days later fortunately alive, but it really blew me away that animals are being shipped thru post offices, and really left me wondering what other animals are shipped this way

I guess I found my answer http://www.skyclyde.com/USPSShippingInfo.html

erykah1310
May 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Why can't they design planes with a "passengers with pets area" separate from a "no pets area"? It would require a separate ventilation system. Personally, I would be willing to pay more if my pet could remain with me.
While they were at it they would have to build specific cabins for smokers too. Iwould pay extra to be able to smoke on a 20 hour flight!!! ( I know of the health concequences and so on so pls spare me that speach) however If they start to accomidate every one individually then we would all be flying on seperate planes!!!

Puppyluv
May 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
I think they should quarantine the "heavy perfume"/"heavy cologne" wearers. Put them on their own plane so that rest of us can breathe. Maybe they could be put in with the "I bathe once a week" people, and they could cancel eachother out.;)

erykah1310
May 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
LOL Im with you on that one Puppyluv!!! :D

CyberKitten
May 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Oh my, lol We need to transform the plane industry and this thread is starting to sound like a Bill Maher show (I love his shows btw, lol). Re: "as she started asking me if I "knew Jesus." That would definitely be more annoying than my quiet little Yin Yin (on a plne she is quiet, lol) but that reminded me of Bill Maher on Larry King and some woman called in and asked him what he would do if God talked to him (Bill being a skeptic) and he replied very quickly "I'd check myself into Belleview". I thought that was a great line but you have to appreciate his humour, :)

LM1313
May 22nd, 2006, 02:10 PM
I was so tempted to say something like, "Yes, he calls me daily" or "Yeah, we just did lunch." :D

CyberKitten
May 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Ohhhh LM, that would be sooooooo tempting!!

Reminds me of the time I was visited by that religious movement (not the Mormons or JW's who are OK, I just tell them I do not read their material and they're fine - they have to do it so I kinda feel sorry for them) that was active in Quebec and northern NB at one time. Associated to some extent with Les Creditistes.

These two big burly fellows arrived on my doorstep and asked me if I was Catholic (None of their business I thought) and my baby brother - when maybe 3- was with me. They looked scary too. They wanted to come in and say the "beeds with the kid" (Think this being said in Quebecois Joyal) . They raved about how awful Vatican II was and finally, I told them I was a communist and they left, never to be seen again, lol

Prin
May 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
It's not too bad... I mean I think it was around $9/hr, but you get flights whenever you want.:thumbs up