Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for the rescues

erykah1310
May 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Hey Ummmm.. just kinda wondering how often you all check up on your fosters???
Not to complain about the fosters i have but... I havent talked to the organization about them in a few months??
Kinda making me wonder. I dont mind them being here by all means but i think that perhaps someone should be checking to see how they are doing? Do you guys check up regularly?
Its next to impossible to contact the rescue and when i email I dont get any responses unless its because i have money for them that i have gathered up?
Does this seem irresponsible to anyone else? Or just me?
I understand that they are busy but still... once and a while a little check up would be nice!

Lucky Rescue
May 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM
What is this rescue doing to try and find homes for these cats? Advertising, holding adoption events? Nothing?

When we had foster homes, we were always in contact with them, had them come to our adoption events, and paid for the cat food and litter if that was a problem for the foster.

The group you are fostering for should be doing everything possible to find homes and should certainly be in contact with you!

meb999
May 16th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I didn't foster a whole lot, but when I did the rescue was in contact with me at least once a week. Actually, even after I adopted Buster, they still contact me, if we haven't spoken for a while, to see how Buster is doing....

erykah1310
May 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Its actually rabbits that are being fostered, they are advertised on both a website and the paper, there is fundraising that is done, and the food is paid. I just think that perhaps closer contact with the fosters would be called for. Also there is no reference check???? Thankfully im not crazy or cruel to animals but for all they know i could be. Its just kinda been bothering me today that no one has asked how they are, a simple email would be nice once and a while. Hrmmm?

Prin
May 17th, 2006, 12:14 AM
When I fostered, I called the rescue at least twice a day (Right, BMD? :o).

OntarioGreys
May 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I am sure it all depends on the groups and the type of animal you are dealing with, the placement needs of a rabbit is not going to be as high as a dog, since most when adopted will be in pens much of the time, even a cat will have lower placement needs than a dog, since most willl be mostly confined to the home so unlike a dog, so the level of feedback needed will differ according to the type of pet and with the health of the pet.

Some groups will check references and will have diffferent criteria for foster parents, and some even will offer training programs/seminars.

When I did the fostering for one group, there was reference checks, home inspection before being approved , then a 2 hour foster seminar which goes over behaviour issues, training, what to do in event of emergencies, or if additional health care was needed , who the contacts are, it when over filling out assessment reports and when they have to be filed , medical care reports, adoption day grooming and the adoption/placement paperwork that goes to the new owner and the group, plus the foster parent had a reference booklet outlining everything in the seminar.

We had basically 4 days we as the foster parent had to contact the group,
basically the first Monday after the dog arrived(they arrive on the weekend) this covered how they were getting on and how getting along with other aminals in the household, and the results of their vet visit since all are prescheduled for the Monday, the first assessment report is emailed the following Monday, then on the 3rd Monday another is submitted, then you contact again when the adoption is completed.

The group would contact you if they needed any feedback based on the reports or if they had advice , they contact you around day 10 with the results of the tick testing and possibly have you arrange a vet visist for treatment if necessary and then to let you know who is adopting and provides the contact info for the adopter, so you can contact them to arrange a time for the adopter to come meet and get their new dog.
Most of my foster were at my place 6 weeks so it basically worked out to 1 communications a week,unless there were problems