Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How long to digest food? weird incident.

SarahLynn123
May 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM
We were wondering how long it takes for food to be digested by dogs.

Early this morning Shadow (8 year old GSD) puked on the floor. This is not unusual as she is very sensitive, what freaks us out is what came up. She puked up steak, carrots, noodles, corn and possibly potato's. We haven't eaten that well ourselves in weeks.

She is never outside alone unless its for a quick pee and straight back in, she did get into the garbage a couple days ago but we dont remember throwing anything like that out.

I always thought food would go in one end and come out the other shortly after, so how long does it take to digest food so I can start worrying that someone is feeding my dogs.

Thanks
Sarah

technodoll
May 16th, 2006, 02:11 PM
unless your dog has a very strange digestive system, it looks like she is getting food from somewhere other than your kitchen! :rolleyes: Kibble is typically digested in 12-16 hours, raw foods in 4 hours, and home-cooked food somewhere between that range....

SarahLynn123
May 16th, 2006, 02:26 PM
unless your dog has a very strange digestive system, it looks like she is getting food from somewhere other than your kitchen! :rolleyes: Kibble is typically digested in 12-16 hours, raw foods in 4 hours, and home-cooked food somewhere between that range....

Thats what I thought!!!! I will have to talk to my neighbours about this. I asked them if I could give their dog treats so he would be more friendly to us, so I bet they gave Shadow a snack. If they have left over steak and potato's I would gladly have ate that!

Thanks
Sarah

Prin
May 16th, 2006, 11:03 PM
K, the stuff she ate was pretty digestible, IMO, but I have to say that Boo once threw up a cookie he was given by a person from the park (without asking) a WEEK after eating it. He threw it up whole.

Oh, and when I had the two fosters, one threw up corn and we have never had corn in this house.

You just never know.