Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

prednisolone cortisone

heidi van s
May 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
could someone please give me some information about this medication. I have already posted about my sick cat, Socks. I cannot find any other discussion or information when I start "search". I did search the web but the information was very limited. I have found that since my cat was put on an increased dose of prednisolone he is very wobbly on his feet. He salivates so much and his breath stinks to high heaven, bearing in mind that he is still being tube fed , 3 weeks now, and still hasnīt started eating on his own. He hasn't defaecated so far today and neither yesterday and I did see that constipation is a side effect! I am extremely worried . I did phone the vet again last night and because he is still on antibiotics for a fever which he had last Friday, I presume that an infection has been ruled out, because it wasn't a concern. He goes for another blood test tomorrow. Hopefully this will lead to a decrease in the dosage of the cortisone.
Some information desperatley needed .
Thanks

Lucky Rescue
May 16th, 2006, 11:56 AM
This from a vet site:

Corticosteroids are notorious for causing a variety of side-effects in humans. However, this is rarely the case in cats. Regardless, to minimize any possible adverse effects, the goal is to use the lowest dose that is effective and to give it on an every other day schedule. It will be necessary to begin therapy with a rather high dose, but once response occurs, the dose is tapered to a minimal level.

Why are they given every other day?

Prednisolone, the most commonly used corticosteroid, is in the body about 36 hours after it is given by mouth. If it is given daily, some of the previous day's dose is still present. The adrenal glands produce corticosteroids for the body. If a prolonged level of prednisolone is in the body, the adrenal glands receive a message telling them to stop production. This will affect the production of corticosteroids and other important substances.

By giving prednisolone every other day, the last dose is out of the body for about 12 hours before the next dose is given. During this 12 hour period, the adrenal glands are stimulated to function.

The cat's adrenal glands function primarily in the morning hours. By giving prednisolone in the evening, the 12 hour off period will occur when the adrenal glands are ready to work. Thus, the preferred way to give prednisolone on a long-term basis is to give it every other evening. Even if several tablets are given, all are given at the same time.

Does this mean that I will be giving prednisolone for the rest of my cat's life?

Long-term therapy is required for many cats. Generally, a cat is treated for a few months then prednisolone is discontinued to see if it is still needed. If the signs of vomiting or diarrhea recur, it is resumed.

Are other anti-inflammatory drugs used?

Prednisolone is the most effective anti-inflammatory drug with the least side effects. However, it is not effective in all cats. Sometimes a stronger drug is used initially to gain control of the disease. Then, prednisolone is tried again as a maintenance drug.

heidi van s
May 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the information on prednisolone. I truly wonder why my cat has these indications then if it is not from the cortisone. My vet has prescribed 5mg morning and night until tomorrow when I see the vet for a further blood test. I am at my wits end and I am truly getting desperate! Socks seems so flat, no energy, he has been very ill with no eating or drinking but the tube feeding is working because he has picked up 300grams from last Tuesday till fFiday past and I am sure that when he is weighed he will have picked up even more! He just sits with his head hanging! I talk to him stroke him all the time when I am feeding him which is for 30 minutes a time, I check on him frequently to see if he is ok, basically , I am with him 24/7.
regards
heidi

heidi van s
May 17th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Sadly our beloved Socks passed away in the early hours this morning. I found him underneath the chair and he had passed away between 3am and 7am .Last night he wasn't well he had vomited again and I noticed blood so I phoned the vet immdiately. He was so weak , we cleaned him and I made him comfortable. I stroked him and spoke to him and told him how much I love him and that he must start eating.I covered him in his blanket to keep him warm. When I checked on him at about 1am this morning he actually meowed at me which he hadn't done in days. My daughter checked on him at 3.30am to see if he was ok, he was.
We are devastated!
I would like to thank everyone who has given me advice and support since Socks became ill.
We miss him terribly he will never be forgotten in our hearts.
Thank you all.:love:
Heidi

masonsmom
May 17th, 2006, 08:17 AM
i'm so sorry, we let our old cat go a couple of weeks ago, he was 17. it is so hard.
take care of yourself.