Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is sick...Help!!!

candlewind35
May 16th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Hi i have a cat that has 4 week old kittens, she is still nursing them but i noticed she has lost alot of weight and now when she feeds them her breathing is so fast and her tounge hangs out of her mouth and she pants fast, does anyone know why this is happening?
Her 4 kittens are very chubby and im affraid they are draining her, could that be it?

mom_to_many
May 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I would increase the mom's wet food and call the vet to see if there are supplements to give her. I have heard that nursing kittens can seriously harm the mom if she isn't producing enough nutrients for them. And at 4 weeks...you can start introducing the babies to kitten foods. This will help mom also.

badger
May 16th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I think you should carefully load the whole family in the car and take them to the vet. If she is being fed adequately (ie as much as she wants), a nursing cat shouldn't lose noticeable amounts of weight or have trouble breathing.

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I agree re the breathing issues - your mama cat and her kits should be at the vet asap!! They will need to be checked soon anyway so just think of it as an early visit. I hope she is OK!!!