Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

excessive drooling from puppy

marinatav
May 15th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Please if anyone has any advice. Our 9 month old puppy started to drool excessively this morning. He has been acting a little off lately at times. Not wanting to eat his food. Some mucus in his stool some days. I was told that was probably from the rawhide that he was chewing so we took that away from him to see if it made a difference. It has not. We had himsee the vet who told me that the food I was feeding him was a bad choice and that it was probaly not fresh so she told me to change his food. We did that tonight and he gobbled that up and are now waiting on blood tests to see if something is wrong with his organs because she doesn't want to miss anything. It is possible that he ate a flower pettal. All and all. He is still drooling. I feel so sick worring about him. any ideas?

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 11:49 PM
The drooling could be nausea.. Dogs drool a ton when they're nauseous or anxious. Good luck with the results. If you need help finding a better food, you can check out the dog food forum here.:)

marinatav
May 16th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the advice and well wishes. I hope to God he just has a sore tummy and it goes away with this new foood. I bought Royal Canin. He seemed to like it last night and he ate a little this morning. All this waiting is making me crazy.

marinatav
May 16th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Sorry I ment to type in Prin.

Prin
May 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Well, Royal Canin, depending on the formula, is loaded with corn and wheat, and that can cause issues in doggies... You might want to wander around the food forum anyway, just to see the ones most of us recommend...:o They're a bit more natural.

rainbow
May 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM
It is possible that he ate a flower pettal. All and all. He is still drooling.

What kind of flower? There are alot of them that are poisonous. Some are really bad and some just have mild effects. If I were you, I'd take him to a vet for a check-up. Please let us know the results.:pawprint:

marinatav
May 17th, 2006, 08:21 AM
hi everyone. Just wanted to say thank you for the help and advice. Luca is feeling better. The vet called last night with all the results and she said his blood results were perfect. So no kidney damage. He is still droolong a bit but she thinks he may have eaten something bitter and it may pass in time. He is full of energy and wants to run and play. I will watch him closely for now. Hopefuly it was just the old food that was making him feel bad. I am so grateful for the support. Thanks again
p.s I will check out the food forum.
:fingerscr

rainbow
May 17th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Glad Luca is feeling better....perhaps it was the flower he ate.:eek: