Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has anyone had similar experiences with coccidia? vomiting? Please advise

BELLPEPPER
May 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I was wondering if any other Dog Owners/Lovers has experienced the same problems that I am currently experiencing with my 1 yoa Male Boston Terrier Pepper. He just has a vet check up two weeks ago and everything was great.

:pawprint: Two days ago I noticed that he was not eating as much as he normally does and not drinking as much water this was in the late afternoon. By 7am the next morning He refused all food and water and was vomiting yellow bile and was not his normal active self. He vomited twice and off to the emergency vet we went.

The vet was not sure what was wrong with him but stated his breathing and respirations were clear and strong. She felt his stomach and intestinal area and stated that she did not feel any abnormalties or possible blockages. His temp was just a little elevated but still would not be considered a fever. She thought that he might have gastritis. She injected fluid into him to help with dehydration and gave him a shot to help settle his stomach and advised me to contact my vet in the morning.

The whole day I sat with him and he pretty much laid there on the couch with me ( she said it might make him drowsy and it did.

Later that day I boiled some chicken and he ate all of it and kept it down. Later that night I made him some more chicken but since he was still not drinking I poured over a cup of water in with his chicken and he ate and consumed the water with the food but for the rest of the day and night would not consume any water.

My husband and I several times during the rest of the day took a medicine dropper and forced him to take water. He did not throw up or have a bowel movement at all yesterday.

This morning at 7am when we woke up he seemed energetic. we went outside and he urinated and had super watery stools. He still would not drink.I made the mistake of giving him his regular food with water mixed in. He ate all the food and consumed the water that was mixed in, but would not drink water on his own. He kept the food down

We were back at our regular vet this morning she said that he has a parasite called coccidia and a unrinary tract infection. She prescribed Primor 600 for him to take. Told us if he did not improve to come back in the morning. My husband gave him his medicine and food that the vet said he sold eat for dehydration around noon and he finally drank some water on his own.

The rest of the afternoon he vomited non stop. He vomited all the food he ate in the morning and it did not appear too digested he also threw up the pill undigested. My husband tried to give him the pill again and threw it up undigested again. By now the vet is closed again. He had stiffer stools than he did earlier in the morning but still very soft and then became lethargic again. He has taken some water on his own about 4 hours ago after he last vomited an no more and has been sleeping ever since.

I will be taking him back to the vet again ASAP in the morning, I am not sure if I should try to give him the Primor 600 again in the morning when his stomach settles with some chicken or if It is the Primor 600 making him vomit.

Has anyone had the same experience or have suggestions on how to treat vomiting. or has the same parasite Coccidia, had the same reaction with the Primor, or have any suggestions on what other questions I need to be asking my vet. I thought I was being very thourough but is there something I might need to ask. This is my baby and need any suggestions or advise i can find and will be greatly appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
May 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I would be most worried about dehydration, which can and does kill.

If he won't drink and has vomiting/diarrhea, dehydration will rapidly occur and you must get him hydrated.

You can read more about coccidia here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM
My dog had a similar virus in October - many dogs in Toronto did. Since he was throwing up and had diarrhea we took him at once to vet - they kept him for 3 days and sent him home with pills and canned I/D food. As you did, we got him to vet fast - others waited 3 days/ others a week - so degree of virus was different depending on how quickly Mom got puppy to vet. Had he just had diarrhea they would have sent him home. It was the throwing up with the diarrhea that made them keep him. Perhaps your pup should stay at the vet's. I know, it is horrible. My vet said it was heartbreaking looking at my little guy who has cage terrors, but it was the best course of action so they could monitor his progress. I always have 2 cans of I/D on hand just in case of tummy upsets. Hope things go better today.

mastifflover
May 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
The dehydration is something to worry about see if you can get Pepper to drink electrolytes they give it to babies it tastes better and will put the essentials that your dog is missing into him. I hope he is better soon