Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dixie Chicks!!

erykah1310
May 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Hey dont know how many of you all are country music fans ( im not but have always liked the Dixie Chicks)
Well with all the controversy about them with the war and what not, has anyone heard the song " Im not ready to make nice"?
WOW!! Say it all!!! I love it!!!!
I know to alot of Americans they are pretty much banned but come on OPINIONS !!!
Anywho, check it out!! If you know the whole story its a Wildly powerful song!!!!!

jjgeonerd
May 16th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I hate country music, but I admire them for having the guts to speak their mind. :thumbs up The VH1 Behind the Music on them is very good.

Funny thing, a ton of rock and punk bands express the exact same message in their music and during shows, with no or minimal controversy. It's just that country music fans tend to be conservative Republicans so when The Dixie Chicks criticize the government it's a big deal. Stupid.

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I heard it on 60 Minutes last Sunday night. I like the Dixie Chicks.

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I love the Dixie Chicks - even tho I am not much of a country fan (tho I also like Mary Chapin, Martina McBride (early stuff) and Faith Hill. And even Alan Jackson.

Re the controversy - I do not understand why Natalie Maines or any of the singers should NOT have the right to express their opinons. If you listen to their Top of the World CD in the intro for Truth No. 2, Natalie urges everyone to vote!

Rick C
May 16th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I disagree with their opinion but I have all their albums and saw them in Calgary when they came to visit last year.

I can keep their opinions and their music separate.

However, it does raise the interesting question of people who rely on the public for revenues, those who raise controversial issues and take firm stands on those issues.

As people here on this off-topic board might suspect by now, I have strong opinions on many topics but I tend NOT to talk politics with my clients . . . . . the 300 or so families and businesses I have in my clientele represent something of a small village, with all the diversity of opinion you might imagine.

I'm very up front with them about it, saying if I offered opinions on various things they blurt out, I'd probably only have a clientele about one-third the size I do now.

By being bland, I'm successful, crossing all lines rather than limiting my market or offending portions of my market.

I most certainly deal with people with very strong Conservative values but I also deal amiably with people with very strong left wing values and people who are also centrist. The complete gamut.

So . . . . . coming back to the Dixie Chicks, Tom Cruise, etc . . . . . they are certainly free to offer an opinion but they should do so knowing there might be an economic cost in being vocal.

I don't have a problem with them offering those opinions but I don't want to hear them complaining later about lower than expected record sales or box office numbers as a result.

If you can't handle MiG's, don't fly in MiG Alley.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jiorji
May 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Funny thing, a ton of rock and punk bands express the exact same message in their music and during shows, with no or minimal controversy. It's just that country music fans tend to be conservative Republicans so when The Dixie Chicks criticize the government it's a big deal. Stupid.

i think the reason for that is that it's expected for punk bands to be rude and smell bad and talk crap all the time. I mean...you're not a true punk if you don't have something to b**** about.
The dixie chicks are so SHOCKING because they're so cute and blonde and girly. Who'd expect them to have soemthing to say about a war? Plus I think they're a "family friendly" band.

It's country vs. Punk. Green day(punk band) and others have been going on about anti war and anti bush for years now and nobody outside their circle of fans cares. It's like "ok so you're punk, you're always angry anyways, why should this be any different to listen to you??" .

The Dixie Chicks aren't from that "angry group" and well it's more likely for them to cause a stir as it's unexpected.

rainbow
May 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I like the Dixie Chicks and it sucked the way they got treated for voicing their opinion. I haven't heard their new song yet but I hope they make a big comeback.:thumbs up

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Wow, Tom Cruise and the Dixie Chicks in the same phrase- they are sooooo different, lol (Tho Tom is good to look at, he seems to hold controversial ideas I disagree with.)

My point about Natalie Maines is I hated the way ppl treated them for merely expressing an opinion. Whether I agree with it is irrelevant - I just found the almost McCarthey like reaction stunning and frankly, somewhat scary! Breaking their CD's and so forth makes no sense. I do listen to singers I disagree with but other than maybe folk music, I hardly buy or dl entertainment merely for its political value.

Most of the Dixie Chicks' music is VERY apolitical and I thought at the timethe strange thing was that their song Travelin' Soldier really supported the troops in Iraq. The whole reaction was very weird from where I live.

Rick C
June 9th, 2006, 11:04 AM
FYI . . . an update.

Dixie Chicks concert tour ticket sales sluggish, some concerts cancelled . . . .

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/09/dixie.chicks.reut/index.html

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

rainbow
June 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Geez, that was a surprise :eek: seeing how their latest album has been No. 1 for two weeks. Well, I'd go see them if I could. I still think they're great. :thumbs up

Rick C
June 9th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Geez, that was a surprise :eek: seeing how their latest album has been No. 1 for two weeks. Well, I'd go see them if I could. I still think they're great. :thumbs up

You know, when Natalie Maines made her original statements in 2003 or so, they actually had a VERY successful concert tour after that . . . . including myself in Calgary. They weren't punished at all.

Its probably been a strategic marketing mistake on their part lately, however, to bring it up AGAIN with the Time Magazine cover, the Rolling Stones cover, countless interviews, etc . . . . . maybe they got finally got more people thinking about their choices than they wanted.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
June 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah, just yesterday I heard they've sold 800 000 albums so far this time around. Maybe people like them but can't admit it in public.

BTW, in response to the old stuff above, I think it was more the Texas thing that caused the outrage. The way they said they're ashamed he's from Texas came across as overall unpatriotic somehow...