Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chronic wart on dog lip - any suggestions?

technodoll
May 15th, 2006, 08:40 PM
my puppy keeps growing this huge wart on her bottom front lip, after 2 or 3 weeks it falls off on its own and then just grows right back! UUGGHHH it is so gross :yuck:

I read that puppies often get the papilloma virus and after a while, warts will just go away on their own, but sometimes will require a course of antibiotics to cure. now, before i put her through another round of meds (she was on antibiotics 3 months ago due to a bad case of kennel cough), I wanted to know if any of you had experienced this with their dogs, and how did you "cure" it? ie topical solutions? i know wart "roots" can be deep... she has only this one wart, same place all the time. no other infections, she is in top shape. When she got spayed last month, the vet didn't even say anything about it at all even though she had this huge wart half hanging from her front lip! :confused:

help?

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 11:25 PM
How would antibiotics cure a virus? The only way I heard of getting rid of persistent ones was surgery...

Jemma had one on her tongue for months a couple of summers ago. It was horrible and she used to lick us with it all the time.. :yuck: The vet said to wait it out, but if it didn't fall off within a few months, that they would go in and surgically remove it. You might have to do that...

Jemma's fell off eventually and hasn't been back.

Be careful because they can be contagious to other dogs...:eek:

technodoll
May 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM
yes about contagious, it's so gross! but so far so good, no other warts on either of the dogs... so ok i'll wait until this one falls off and if it grows again, it's off to the vet to get their opinion. sigh!