Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doxie killed a rat tonight

doxielover40
May 15th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Not only that but as I told him to drop it he ran into the house with it in his mouth. Then he dropped it on the floor. Ugh!! My question is what risks are there with him killing the rat? All the dogs are up to date on their shots. I just want to be reasurred that he won't get sick. I guess I am being paranoid. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

pamha
May 15th, 2006, 10:17 PM
If he`s up to date on his shots and didn`t eat it, he should be ok.

Our Lola apparently killed a rat a couple weeks ago. I was gone early in the morning and it wasn`t in the yard when my mom left with the kids. DH said he saw it lying in the yard when he left for work 15 minutes later, but didn`t have time to dispose of it after putting the dogs inside. What a lovely sight to come home to :eek: a dead white rat in the yard. It really grossed me out. Don`t have any idea where it came from, but was able to get it in the trash before letting dogs out. Lola seemed fine afterwards; she is due for shots though so I`ll probably have her checked for worms at least.

doxielover40
May 15th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. It look like he ate the rat. DH said there were no puncture wounds on the rat. I am sure Spencer just broke the rat's neck. It is still gross. I just can't believe he brought it in the house. :yuck:

erykah1310
May 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
My Mr.Floyd killed a rat IN OUR HOUSE:yuck: and he has never had shots, however he did get worms! (related to the rat ???? who knows) keep an eye out! Also your location will play a factor in disease, all rats mice ect can carry disease, if its a city or dump rat that the cat may have killed, id get it checked out! However as in my situation a field rat, chances of disease are a little slimmer. Depends alot on what the rat has been eating! ( I know the one here was pigging out on rabbit and chicken food)
Better to be on the safe side!!! Get the kitty checked

rainbow
May 15th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Did the rat bite him at all? Even so, I would phone your vet to be on the safe side as rats carry diseases.:pawprint:

doxielover40
May 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Oh sorry I guess I should have said the Doxie was a dog. The rat was eating in our bird feeder. There were 3 of them and they ran when I let the dogs out. Actually they all scattered. I guess the one wasn't fast enough. I would say they were field rats.

The rat didn't get a chance to bite. We looked Spencer over several times and could find no bites. While it was happening I was so hysterical but now thinking back to what happened Spencer grabbed the poor rat and shook it and I am assuming snapped its neck. Poor rat didn't have a chance.

erykah1310
May 15th, 2006, 10:48 PM
LOL good to know Doxie is a dog! LOL,
Id still get him checked out, can never be too careful right!!
Or atleast call your vet, they would know what the threats are for your area the best, do you still have the rat around? Could be helpful in checking it for disease?
Just a thought, but I dont think i would do it LOL, giving advice i wouldnt take LOL, tired i guess!

doxielover40
May 15th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Sorry. I guess I am having a blonde moment. Of course everyone knows a doxie is a dog. lol! Good grief I wonder about me sometimes.

DH disposed of the rat. I will give the vet a call tomorrow. He isn't on call tonight and I am glad I found this board. I feel a little at ease knowing others have had this happen. The dachshunds have killed lizards but this is the 1st time any of them killed anything bigger. Thank you for the replys.

Prin
May 16th, 2006, 12:37 AM
So he didn't eat the rat right? Because in one post (#3) it sounded like he did... If he didn't eat it, I'd just call the vet to be sure, but I don't think it's a problem. Other than diseases, the other issue is poison... If the rat was given a dose of poison, it could be in his system and then the dog eats it and also injests the poison. But if he didn't eat it, that's not an issue here, right?

doxielover40
May 16th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. It look like he ate the rat. DH said there were no puncture wounds on the rat. I am sure Spencer just broke the rat's neck. It is still gross. I just can't believe he brought it in the house. :yuck:

I meant to say looked like he didn't eat the rat. I guess I shouldn't post when I am that upset. Sorry for the confusion.

I talked to my mom and she has gone through this many times. The vet told her there wasn't anything to worry about unless the dog had ate the rat. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for all the replies.

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I probably would have checked with the vet just in case the rat was carrying a disease as are so many "vermin" today. I realized that your pup was a Dachshund - very experienced with these little darlings. When mine were alive and saw a mouse the chase was on - along with the cat who thought he was a dog. Fortunately either I got the mouse first - but in one stellar case, the mouse, who had jumped from a cereal box right into my face and then across the counter, down the hall to where there was a door from the hall and from the living room, had a heart attack when faced with my Alpha Dachshund on one side and Alpha Kitty on the other - as he was about to slide under the door. My youngest Dachshund was 6 months at time of adoption, but I have seen 8 week old pups. Have to tell you I would have been very nervous to bring an 8 week old mini Dachshund into a house with adult Dachshunds - and a cat. They do look very mouse like.

Lucky Rescue
May 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Did the rat bite him at all?

Rat bites are not a worry. Rats have a "dry bite" that does not inject saliva into wounds.

Of course rats have razor like teeth and a bite could be deep and painful.

doxielover40
May 16th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I probably would have checked with the vet just in case the rat was carrying a disease as are so many "vermin" today. I realized that your pup was a Dachshund - very experienced with these little darlings. When mine were alive and saw a mouse the chase was on - along with the cat who thought he was a dog. Fortunately either I got the mouse first - but in one stellar case, the mouse, who had jumped from a cereal box right into my face and then across the counter, down the hall to where there was a door from the hall and from the living room, had a heart attack when faced with my Alpha Dachshund on one side and Alpha Kitty on the other - as he was about to slide under the door. My youngest Dachshund was 6 months at time of adoption, but I have seen 8 week old pups. Have to tell you I would have been very nervous to bring an 8 week old mini Dachshund into a house with adult Dachshunds - and a cat. They do look very mouse like.

I would love to have a cat but having Dachshunds like you say I am nervous bringing one in. They love to chase the squirrels and lizards and have killed lizards but this is the 1st time anything bigger than a lizard was killed. I have great love and respect for this breed but I hope he doesn't get ahold of anything else. lol!

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Actually we never had a problem with cats - we just never rescued small kittens - anything small enough to be considered "prey". I would never, ever have considered a teacup dog either. Our largest mini weighed 12 lbs. with rest - including the 2 Alphas - weighing in at 10 lbs. Cats were always bigger - including the cat who was afraid of them - he weighed 28 lbs. The only cat they ever had to take a couple of minutes to check out was the black stray we rescued - he only weighed about 12 lbs. - at first glance a little too "squirrel" looking. A smart Dachshund can train a cat to jump to hood over stove and open cupboards and knock down boxes of food for them to open - and of course toss cat food from counter to the readily open Dachshund mouth. How I kept them at proper weight considering what my guys weight is a miracle - even after back surgery when physical energy wasn't as great. I guess it was all of the "thinking" that went on planning their next meals and my protection. And protect my Alphas did. My Eskimo will alert me, but if we are in bedroom and he barks at a noise and I open the door, he will peek out urging me to go first. The Dachshunds would glare at me if I tried to go first - that was their job.