Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray cat pregnant?

2Weiss
May 15th, 2006, 06:36 PM
We had a stray cat show up at our acreage a week ago and you could tell she was pregnant. She had taken over a box we had outside and I was sure she was looking for a nesting place to have her kittens. I gave her some food and she ate right away and later that night when I went to check on her she jumped out of the box (probably scared) and had some stuff hanging from her private parts that to me may have been some placenta or something so I just assumed she was starting to deliver the kittens. So the next morning I went over to check on her but there were no kittens and she was bleeding a bit. She is somewhat wild so I can't get near her but she'll usually come when I call but she only will get a couple of feet from me and then she starts to hiss and swat. So it has been a week and still no kittens. We managed to put her in our shop at night (just in case) and we let her out during the day but I still can't get close to her. She still looks pregnant so I don't really know what's going on. A friend of mine said she may have miscarried. Would she still look pregnant after a week? Could she have miscarried maybe only one kitten (the night I seen the stuff hangning from her) and the rest of the litter may not be ready yet? I really hope someone can give me some insight on this. I would take her to the vet but I can't get close enough to her so I really would like to know if she is still pregnant or if I'm dreaming. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank-You

Lucky Rescue
May 15th, 2006, 06:57 PM
You really need to get a trap and take her to the vet. Not only she may be suffering, but will be pregnant again soon, if she is not now.

As for her kittens, if they were delivered outside, animals may have taken them.

You can rent a humane trap at many humane societies or at a tool rental place. She may not even be truly wild, just terrified and traumatized.

This cat really needs help.