Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blue Buffalo Pet Food?

jessick
May 15th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Any of you pet food gurus heard of this Company? I was wandering in a Petsmart over the weekend and saw a whole line of cat and dog food. I asked one of the managers about the product and she replied it is a new 'super premium' pet food :pawprint:

mafiaprincess
May 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM
They are still using menadione in all their products, and when contacted have a crappy answer on why.
Probably one of the best foods you can buy at a petsmart, but I'm a little sketchy on menadione in food.

from http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/
"During my gathering of information on which companies are removing, or planning on removing, menadione from their products, I also emailed the Blue Buffalo Company, which markets the Blue Buffalo line of dog foods.

Here's the email I sent:

Hello,

I'd like to know if you are considering removing potentially harmful menadione from your products as well, as many other companies have done so recently, for example:

Solid Gold has removed it quite some time ago already,
Diamond has removed it from their Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's
Soul line and per Dr. Melissa Brookshire, the Director of Veterinary
Services at Diamond Pet Foods is planning on discontinuing in all of
their products in 2006,
Newman's Own Organics is currently looking into eliminating Menadione
from their products,
Holistic Blend has removed it,
Castor & Pollux is eliminating it as of April 2006,
Nature's Variety has removed it from their formulas but is still using
a batch of bags with it present in the ingredient list printed on them,
Natural Balance has removed it from their formulations recently.

Thanks in advance

And here's the reply:

Thanks so much for your interest in BLUE. And thank you for taking the time to write to us. In response, The reason we use Menadione/ Vitamin K in our foods is to maintain the normal floral (bacteria) in dogs and cats GI tract to insure proper and healthy digestion. Sometimes if a dog or cat is on antibiotics this can effect their GI tract and Vitamin K prevents that from happening. Menadione Sodium Bisulfate is also the most stable of any other Vitamin K compounds and is a key reason why its used in pet foods.

As far as that website is concerned, Mark Finke doesn't give it much credit as he feels there are a lot of inaccuracies, ie. other fat soluble vitamins are toxic at high levels (vitamin A, D, & E).

Sorry for the delay. Let me know if this helps.

Samantha Wuhrer
Great Plains Leasing, LLC
The Blue Buffalo Co.

Seems like whoever made that statement about menadione didn't pay attention during their animal nutrition classes and can't tell the difference between beneficial bacteria in the gut and artificial vitamin K. The little jab about "that website" and "inaccuracies" was quite amusing though, especially since the section on vitamins outlines the dangers of deficiencies and toxicities for each vitamin.

According to what I was taught about the intestinal flora during my animal nutrition and physiology courses, here's how it really works:

The bacteria present in the healthy intestine synthesize vitamin K (or to be more accurate, vitamin K2, also called menaquinone), which is then absorbed by the body.

If a large enough number of these bacteria are destroyed, such as for example by giving antibiotics (which do not differentiate between "good" and "bad" bacteria) over a period of time, logically the amount of vitamin K available to the body also decreases and it must rely on additional dietary sources until it is reestablished - which can be accelerated for example by giving a probiotic supplement.

Vitamin K in the diet, regardless of whether it is natural or synthetic, does not influence the intestinal flora, since it has no effect on the bacteria themselves. Of course a dietary source is needed wherever not enough vitamin K is synthesized in the intestine, but as many manufacturers have already demonstrated, the source does not have to be a synthetic supplement!

I'm quite disappointed that a company would pass on such outright incorrect information to consumers, but with all the false claims I've seen throughout my research in the past 5 years I shouldn't be surprised. It just makes me angry when pet food manufacturers exploit the fact that pet owners generally aren't exactly experts on nutrition or food ingredients and just want the best for their animals.

Blue Buffalo's reply to my email was a copy-and-paste job from a message sent to at least one other person who inquired about menadione - I know since I was forwarded a copy. It would be interesting to know how many other people out there were given incorrect information."

Makes me a little more so sketchy after reading what they are telling people about it too..

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Mafiaprincess, you know that menhaden fish meal and menadione are different issues right? It just wasn't clear in your post...:o Both are sketchy ingredients but menadione is worse IMO because all they have to do is replace it with some sea weed and they've got the vitamin K from a natural source.

Looking at the ingredients of the foods though, once you remove all the water, the rice is the #1 ingredient of a lot of them. The lamb and rice one looks ok at first, but even that one has two rice sources before the fat, which means more rice than anything else.

The chicken one looks the best of the bunch (which is weird- normally it's the fish or the lamb ones that look best). It's got herring oil and flax- good for the coat. Yeah, the chicken one isn't bad at all. ;)

They're not terrible foods, but they're pretty grainy, IMO, except the adult chicken one. Not enough meat in the rest of them to counter all the grains.

mafiaprincess
May 15th, 2006, 05:20 PM
So I'm a tool..
I meant Vitamin K, not menhaden.
But apparently when short on sleep need to refrain from posting..
I'm popping up to try to fix myself, sheesh I feel special.

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Menhaden's quality depends on what it's preserved with. It's not the best fishy form out there...

mafiaprincess
May 15th, 2006, 09:36 PM
True enough, but I mixed two issues into one post... Done so many doggie activities lately that I'm too tired to write or think linearly I suppose. I wasn't happy with menhaden in my wellness either...

Prin
May 16th, 2006, 12:22 AM
But the Blue Buff chicken one is menhaden free...:thumbs up Oh... But wait.. It has menadione.. Too bad.:(

jessick
May 16th, 2006, 08:49 AM
So I guess I should just stick with my Wellness then right?
Actually, to highjack my own thread, what do you think about Dick van pattens food? I picked up some of the canned this weekend for my girl to try and she seems to like it (okay, she'll eat anything, but you know what I mean....) :pawprint:

Prin
May 16th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Their new canned stuff isn't looking too good (the eatables) but the old stuff is good. The allergy ones look great.

jessick
May 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I think I'll just stick with the Wellness, thanks for the input :pawprint:

rainbow
May 16th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Blue Buffalo is too grainy and worst of all it has menadione:yuck: in it.