Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mechanics!!!!!

erykah1310
May 15th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Grrr, have to vent here!!! Really bad weekend!!!!!!!:mad: Picked up my truck from the mechanics after getting a mechanical done on it!! $1700.00 later and i tried to take it for a ride on the highway and almost rolled it!!!!:mad: Apparently... Its not important for your truck to "stay on the road" while driving it, but make d**n sure it has a working fricken door handle!!!!!!!:mad: :mad:
Went back to the mechanic to tell him about the problems and you know what he said?????/
"Not my problem!!!!" Me with my temper!! FREAKED!!! He isnt doing anything about it!
Does anyone in Ontario know of an MTO number i can call!!! This is rediculous!
I stand firmly that women should use the MOST caution when dealing with some mechanics!! I swear they think we are stupid!!!
Im ticked right off and want to do WHAT EVER i can to make sure he doesnt do this to anyone else!!!
Any info would be great!!!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM
That sucks - was it something the mechanic did in your truck that caused you to almost roll - I would be mad too - you couldnt have been hurt bad. Not sure what MTO is - are they some sort of complaint agency for idiot mechanics with bad additudes. If I were in your shoes I would be doing the same thing. I hope you find a better mechanic too - all the power to you woman :evil: :D don't take crap from this guy.

wdawson
May 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM
write a letter to the editor of your local paper or tv station. and i think the mechanic would be policed under the ministry of consumer and commercial affairs...i believe they issue the licence.........1700.00 for a door handle

erykah1310
May 15th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Well got my second opinion from the local mechanic, ( who doesnt want to really get involved which i understand) He agreed to check quickly and off record let me know if i should go on the highway with the truck, When i got there to pick it up He said " Stay off the highway, when we put it on the hoist there was 2 things right off the bat that didnt pass mechanical"
I am towing it to Sudbury and getting the mechanical checklist done!!! IM PEEVED!!!!
was it something the mechanic did in your truck that caused you to almost roll -
It was something he DIDNT do!!! In ontario when you buy a used vehicle MTO (ministry of transportation of ontario) requires it to be "certified" it has to be road worthy before you can transfer ownerships or get insurance on the vehicle.
Well as it turns out STEERING is a BIG part in that, apparently my steering box is almost finished!!!
He messed with the wrong tempermental gurl here!!!!!:mad: :evil:

Bearsmom
May 16th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I would get in touch with the better business bureau and report this twit.

I know a fantastic mechanic in Sudbury, no rip offs, PM me if you want the info.

I just had a $700 repair bill from a dealership for a noise in my vehicle's fan.

They called when I first brought it in to let me know the front wheel bushing had completely separated. Apparently that's bad. Total: $116.00 Oil change: $30. Fan belt noise: Could be the AIR pump. Or it could be the Power control module. Would I like to change both for just over $1500? I asked them what was more vital, the PCM or the AIR pump. OOOOHHHH, both, they replied. So I told them just to fix the PCM which was apparently darn near falling out of the car. But I wanted the diagnostic report, and the old part.

Go to pick up the car, they give me the bill for $770, then tell me I have to PAY THEM AN EXTRA $150 FOR THE OLD PART. I told them to shove it, and couldn't understand why the gdamn part was in MY car, I should just have it, since, technically, it was mine in the first place. Go out to the car, get in, start it, guess what? VEHICLE STILL MAKES THE BLOODY NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!

I FREAKIN HATE DEALERSHIPS.

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM
My car was at dealership for servicing on Wed. Paid for diagnostics and tune-up - cost $250. Thurs. drove dog to socialization - fortunately dropped him off first - and then skidded through intersection. Took car to mechanic by my dentist where we used to take our former car after warranty expired and he said only one brake was working - and only partially at that. I was there when he put it on hoist - pads, rotors and calipers all shot - as well as the emergency brake; air conditioning filter which had supposedly been replaced was as black as my white dog after a good roll in the mud - so of course air conditioner had had to struggle to work (air conditioner blew at 7,000 miles - dealer said "very unusual" - right - expect they replace it with a used part) - so major work there and our tires - the all seasons - okay we used them year round for 3 years and then bought Blizzaks last winter - well the 2 front had very little tread left - back were okay, but traded in back 2 and have 4 new tires. The car is a 2002 and has 23,000 KM on it - so really zip but of course is out of warranty since over 3 years of age. Twice the circuit boards that make ALL of the rear lights work - and I mean all - have gone - this was at 17,000 KM - again "very unusual" - nice - police stopped me - it was daylight - how would I know? They replaced the part but did it incorrectly so happened again. Said warranty wouldn't cover it and then I get a recall notice for a part that if not replaced could result in rear light failure and major accidents. Dealer tried to tell me this wasn't the problem and that they had contacted the manufacturer when I first took car in. They hadn't - I called. I got the money back for the light problem. Friday's bill came to $2,900. Swell. At least the dog is safe to the extent possible in this car. The new mechanic told me that normally brakes would go as ours did if car was not serviced by owner - or poorly serviced. Since our service records were there, well I guess we know whose fault it was and it wasn't mine.

technodoll
May 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM
snowdancer, this is terrible! could i please know what brand & model of car you own??? :eek: you could PM me privately if this breaks board rules? man this is ridiculous, cars should be FINE until at least 70 or 80K km on it unless driven by maniacs, what the heck?...

Schwinn
May 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Both erykah and Bearsmom, I'd be calling the MTO. Oh, and Bearsmom, by law, the dealership has to give you the old part back, free of charge. DEFINITELY call the MTO. Hurricane Grace just woke up and is destroying something behind me, or I'd search to make sure they're the ones to report to. But I know it is a law they have to give it back, free of charge. MTO should at least be able to give both of you some direction.

Bearsmom
May 17th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Both erykah and Bearsmom, I'd be calling the MTO. Oh, and Bearsmom, by law, the dealership has to give you the old part back, free of charge. DEFINITELY call the MTO. Hurricane Grace just woke up and is destroying something behind me, or I'd search to make sure they're the ones to report to. But I know it is a law they have to give it back, free of charge. MTO should at least be able to give both of you some direction.

The dealership told me that because they have to send the part back to AC Delco, that was why I had to pay for it. What I can't understand is that they told me that AC Delco will just refurbish the PCM and resell it. I'm thinking the dealership probably gets the $150 from AC Delco???? So I'm paying them $150 for a part they can resell????? WTF?????

Schwinn
May 17th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Then ask them to show you on the bill where you were given a credit for the core. Otherwise, by law, they have to give it back. Tell them that they can either deal with you, or the MTO. (Actually, double check that it is the MTO. There is a law, and a ministry they'll have to deal with. If I can get Grace to stay asleep long enough, I'll see if I can find it over the next hour for you)

Schwinn
May 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Here you go, the laws governing mechanics...

http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/MCBS/english/5C7PRK.htm

Bearsmom
May 17th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks, Schwinn, appreciate the info.