Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

9 yr old pom mix skin turning black

Msteffen
May 15th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Hello, this is my first "post". We have had a tough year. Lost 4 animals in the past 10 months. The last one was our special big girl Kacey. She was a greyhound/beagle mix and was 10 yrs old. Had cancer 2x and a multitude of illnesses. Our little 9 yr old pom mix is our other dog. His skin has been darkening for some time now. Mostly his belly and a few other spots. There seems to be no rash or scabs. I just shaved him and washed him and the skin looks the same. Our girl Kacey had an auto-immune disease called pemphigus (not sure of spelling) but that was black skin along with scabs all over her body. That was hard to diagnose. Any responses would be appreciated. After all the loss we have just experienced, we just want our little guy to be healthy. Thanks, Maria

goldengal
May 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hi Maria .... I seldom post, but do read often. Our last Golden, Duke, came to us at almost 3 years old. He looked fantastic when he came to us (great coat). Of course, we took him to the vet for a checkup, and she said his lymph glands were swollen, but it could just be an infection and gave us an antibiotic. Shortly after that, I noticed his coat becoming sparse, and then his skin was a dark grey colour. Back to the vet we went, and learned that he had hypothyroidism. Once on Elextroxin, his skin turned pink again, and his luxurious coat returned. Perhaps you should ask your vet to check his thyroid. It might not be the same thing, but I just had to log in when I read your post as it brought back memories of my beloved Duke.

Msteffen
May 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Thank you. I have read that the thyroid can cause this. His fur is not thinning or falling out though. I will still call our vet and ask. I hesitate only because our last dog had a similar condition and our vet sent us to a dermatologist. I will most likely just go to her. Thanks again.

rainbow
May 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Hi Maria....I had a dog with hypothyroidism and her skin turned a darker colour in places but her hair did not thin. Once on medication the colour returned to normal.:pawprint: