Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs and nasty water

mafiaprincess
May 15th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Cider would prefer to drink from any water 'source' that is gross, rather than nice clean water.. The nastier, the better. You can offer up bottled water, she will drink or turn her nose up, and then second you give too much freedom she's lapping a mud puddle as fast as possible because she knows you are going to take it away..
Or the low lying area in the dog park after a rain.. leaves and still water... mmm mmm good. Think I chased her off 6 times from drinking that.. and i was so appealing leave it didn't do anything at all, and she's usually pretty good about it.

Do I have a freak, or is there some magical bond between the nastiest water source possible and pets?

erykah1310
May 15th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Do I have a freak, or is there some magical bond between the nastiest water source possible and pets?
LOL Yes i think there is!!! :o I swear it!! Mine all do the same!! LOL
When i was a kid the only place my childhood dog would swim was the beaver dam!!!!!!!:yuck:

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Mine are the opposite. If I fill the water bowl at night, the next morning, it'll still be full but neither will drink it. Water snobs. :rolleyes: :D

mafiaprincess
May 15th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Prin, I just bought the dog-it fountain, hoping that at least indoors the water would be more appealing. She'll drink when I tell her to go drink.. but she isn't anymore attatched to it than anything else..

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I got one of those self- dispensing things for $30 and neither would drink out of it. :rolleyes: Pretty soon they'll have their own brita system...:D

jawert1
May 15th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Mine already do, and they will not drink tap water at all. My folks tried when they went to stay with them 2 weeks ago and discovered I wasn't kidding - it's filtered or bottled or nothing :D

chico2
May 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM
My Chico(cat)will drink off the poolcover,any puddles the rain left behind,I stop him,because I am worried about him drinking the same stuff the coons are drinking at night:(

Daisy_Mae
May 16th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Daisy is a little odd about water too. She will only drink water in her bowl if it is fresh and cold right out of the fridge. If the water in the bowl sits for more then half a day she will wait for me to refill it with clean cold water. We drink bottled water but we have a Brita filter that we use to fill up a jug just for her (and the other pets but they could care less if it's cold or not)

YET..when we go for walks she always wants to drink out of puddles and dirty ponds. I think thats the stray outdoor dog in her. :(

jessi76
May 16th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Prin, Tucker is a water-snob too. it must be fresh, and COLD. I keep a jug in the fridge just for him. I also keep the bottled water bottles... I refill them, and keep those in the fridge too for Tucker, for when we take long walks or road trips. Tucker wouldn't be caught dead walking through a rain or mud puddle, let alone drink from one... :eek:

My cats have no decided they will ONLY drink from the dog water bowl (even though they get the same cold water in their own steel dish), or the shower faucet that drips. weirdos. they are going to be quite shocked the day I replace that dripping faucet...

and my old cat, would only drink if it was ICE water, and in a fancy-shmancy glass.

I always get the high maintainance ones for some reason.

erykah1310
May 16th, 2006, 01:26 PM
LOL, for some reason i always end up with the " hillbilly" type animals!!! LOL
And none of them are sure of what species they are!!! One dog thinks hes a beaver, the other thinks shes a lapdog:eek: one cat thinks hes some form of herding dog and the rabbits, well, one is also convinced he is a sheep dog of some kind! LOL
Animals... How could you not love them :o :angel:

Prin
May 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Prin, Tucker is a water-snob too. it must be fresh, and COLD. I keep a jug in the fridge just for him. I also keep the bottled water bottles... I refill them, and keep those in the fridge too for Tucker, for when we take long walks or road trips. Tucker wouldn't be caught dead walking through a rain or mud puddle, let alone drink from one... :eek:
Oh ya, same as Jemma. Boo doesn't care, but Jemma will stop walking if there's no way around a puddle.:D

shredy
May 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM
How funny, I thought Shade was the only one. She grew up in the mountains, and even I miss the water up there. When we moved I gave her tap water, and she didn't drink any for 1 1/2 days. I went to the store and bought her a filter pitcher, and that is the only way she'll drink it!! Another water snob I guess, or maybe she's just smart!!

JessXx
May 19th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Well, Shyla HATES water... she likes the snow (shes an american husky....) but not water... Pepper on the other hand will find mud in a drought I SWEAR... he just loves the dirty water...
And after they get bathed of COURSE they HAVE TO get dirty... although when Shy goes to the groomers she loves to act like a little princess...
So your dog isn't the only one... lol ;)