Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Followed home...

Brat
May 15th, 2006, 12:20 PM
About a month and a half ago, a male cat followed my little sister home. They of course fed him and took him inside the garage as it was cold out. He pretty much hasn't left since. He lives outside in the backyard mostly. He will leave for a day or two but always come running out of the bushes when my sister steps out for school.

He is VERY affectionate which leads us to believe he is not originally a stray but no one has claimed him. My parents will take him in and he will stay in the garage without making a peep all day. He is provided with water, food and litter. At night sometimes my sister will take him into her room and he'll cuddle up with her.

I have had the chance to meet him a few times and if I didn't have 3 cats already I would take this little boy in a heartbeat. My parents have a female cat who does not like this new visitor. Also, my parents are not looking to adopt a new cat unfortunately. They have been trying to find him a new home for the past month.

He is not neutered and has started spraying in my parents home. The other night the smell was so strong that they couldn't sleep.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Some people have said to get him his shots and get him fixed but my parents are not really willing to spend any money on this cat. Is there a shelter they can bring him? He is about a year or so and I'm worried he would not get adopted. Also, what is your opinion on craigslist and finding someone from there to take him? I'm very weary and I really want a good home for "Simba" (my sisters new name for him)

Also, lately he has been coming home with scratches everywhere. Everytime I see him, he is looking a little more battered. Mind you, he looks a lot thicker now and well fed then when they first had him.

Here is the sweet boy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/bratalishus/simba028.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/bratalishus/simba026.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/bratalishus/simba031.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/bratalishus/simba034.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/bratalishus/simba036.jpg

Frenchy
May 15th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Hi Brat,he's a really cute cat,I've heard Laval spca doesn't euthanaze,that's what they say but I'm not sure.Maybe you could call them?

poodletalk
May 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM
If the SPCA Laval doesn't adopt out their animals, sometimes they get transfered over to the SPCA Montreal. SPCA Monteregie is basically the only no-kill SPCA in the area.

I wish I could give you an answer what to do, but right now all shelters and rescues are overflowing with cats and kittens.

Just an idea, why don't you call your vet and see if they know anyone who's looking for a cute cuddly affectionate tabby cat.

Brat
May 15th, 2006, 06:35 PM
If the SPCA Laval doesn't adopt out their animals, sometimes they get transfered over to the SPCA Montreal. SPCA Monteregie is basically the only no-kill SPCA in the area.

I wish I could give you an answer what to do, but right now all shelters and rescues are overflowing with cats and kittens.

Just an idea, why don't you call your vet and see if they know anyone who's looking for a cute cuddly affectionate tabby cat.

I will do that, I'm bringing one of my boys to the vet this Wednesday so I will definitely ask.

catsnatcher-CDN
May 15th, 2006, 06:37 PM
He's very very cute! He should get adopted out pretty easily. See if your parents are willing to dish out a couple of hundred dollars to fix him. You will always get that money back on the adoption fee.

If he's this adoptable, he's really worth the effort.

Lucky Rescue
May 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM
He needs to be neutered BEFORE being adopted out. It's the only responsible way to do it. You don't want him ending up WORSE off than he is now. You can charge an adoption fee to cover the cost.

I've heard Laval spca doesn't euthanaze

Oh, they sure do, and as has been said, are overflowing with cats and kittens as it is. It's unlikely one ordinary intact adult tabby would make it out alive.

poodletalk
May 15th, 2006, 07:37 PM
If you can get the money together, MAYBE I can get you a better rate to sterilize the cat. Can you keep the cat for awhile? While we look for a home for it?

Luba
May 15th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I agree with Lucky and I have heard that this SPCA you speak of euthanizes as well.

He's not neutered and still outside so he's probably sired a few litters. And the scratches may be from fights he is getting into with other intact male cats for territory over an unspayed female in the area.

Is it possible for you to get him neutered? Then it will be 'easier' to adopt him out and you can recoup your vet cost with adoption fee. I'm sure someone in your area can refer you to a low cost neuter program! :fingerscr

Brat
May 15th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I will hold on to him if necessary for as long as I can. I want this little guy to find a good forever home. If not my parents, then I will take him in temporarily. I will speak to my parents about neutering him as well.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

Maxine
May 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM
This cat is very cute :p I know for a fact that my sister got her cat neutered at Vanier College, in Montreal. they are students but they do a really good job for cheap. I will try to find more info for you, hopefully this will help to have him fixed as soon as possible and have him adopted after. Good Luck!!!

Maxine
May 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Here it is http://www.infovet.ca/website/vcaht/

Osteele
May 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Go ahead, make yourself at home, why don't you ???

What a Q-TEE !!!

About a month and a half ago, a male cat followed my little sister home. They of course fed him and took him inside the garage as it was cold out. He pretty much hasn't left since. He lives outside in the backyard mostly. He will leave for a day or two but always come running out of the bushes when my sister steps out for school.

He is VERY affectionate which leads us to believe he is not originally a stray but no one has claimed him. My parents will take him in and he will stay in the garage without making a peep all day. He is provided with water, food and litter. At night sometimes my sister will take him into her room and he'll cuddle up with her.

I have had the chance to meet him a few times and if I didn't have 3 cats already I would take this little boy in a heartbeat. My parents have a female cat who does not like this new visitor. Also, my parents are not looking to adopt a new cat unfortunately. They have been trying to find him a new home for the past month.

He is not neutered and has started spraying in my parents home. The other night the smell was so strong that they couldn't sleep.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Some people have said to get him his shots and get him fixed but my parents are not really willing to spend any money on this cat. Is there a shelter they can bring him? He is about a year or so and I'm worried he would not get adopted. Also, what is your opinion on craigslist and finding someone from there to take him? I'm very weary and I really want a good home for "Simba" (my sisters new name for him)

Also, lately he has been coming home with scratches everywhere. Everytime I see him, he is looking a little more battered. Mind you, he looks a lot thicker now and well fed then when they first had him.

abudamunky
May 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
i have gotten my now poppa cat from craigslist and he's awesome. i'd make sure that if you do put 'simba' up for adoption you meet his new family first to make sure he will be loved, so many cruel people out there.:mad:

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM
What a sweet cat!
I'm sure you have a shelter around there somewhere that would be willing to take this DARLING in. I don't agree with newspaper adds so much or anything like that... but its always up to the individual.
The only suggestion I have is to get him fixed- but since that can't happen I'd suggest a shelter... theres lots of local shelters- I'm sure.

Brat
May 28th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Little Update:

Simba has had his shots and is at the vet as I write this being neutered. He is just waiting for a new forever home now.

If you know anyone who is interested please let me know! :)