Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Si-Si's teeth cleaning

susieqt
May 14th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I am bringing my little mixed dog, Si-Si, to the vet tomorrow to have her teeth cleaned. I know I am worrying for nothing, but I am always nervous about bringing any of my pets to the vet when they have to be put under anesthesia. She is about 12 years old and has very bad teeth so there is no choice in the matter, she has to go get them done! Please wish her (and me!) well!

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Good luck to both of you! :) :fingerscr

Are you doing the kidney tests before? It's always safer to do them...

susieqt
May 15th, 2006, 09:37 AM
No, I didn't do any tests before; she is at the vet's right now. Maybe I should have opted to do that? They didn't offer this test.

erykah1310
May 15th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I dont usually get the tests done but at that age i think i would, at least you know for next time. But that is strange that they wouldnt offer it??
Good luck to Si Si

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM
As a dog gets older, it's usually advised to do the basic test before anaesthetic... No biggie...

How did it go?:fingerscr

poodletalk
May 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Susieqt, I am sure your dog will be fine. My neighbour just got a root canal done on his eight year old golden, another neighbour had to pull couple of teeth from her 12 year golden. Seems like so many older dogs are having teeth problems recently. :(

susieqt
May 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Well, she's HOME! The little bugger made it through with no problems. The vet had to extract 13 teeth!!! I am so embarrassed 'cuz I am a pet groomer and I am forever telling my clients that their pets need a dental ASAP, and I get angry when they come in for their next grooming and the teeth still are not done!
Anyways, Si-Si is running around the house, barking and making a nuisance of herself as usual. You would think after a day like today she might be sleepy but she is great. She has to take antibiotics for 10 days, though, to make sure no infection sets in.

All's well that ends well!

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 08:08 PM
13!! Poor doggy! She's better without them though. :)