Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

vicious, bloody attack

t.pettet
May 14th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Was at the local riverside park this a.m. with 2 of my little dogs and a friend with her shepherd. We had everone on flexi's and all three dogs were wading in the water along the path when we hear this man yelling and cursing, saw him being dragged down the 30 odd stairs to the park by his pitbull. He tripped and fell, lost hold of the leash after being dragged on his chest for about 20 ft. I scrambled onto top of nearest picnic table with my 2 and Joan and Maggie ran further into the river. The pitbull lunged onto Maggie and they both went under. I hastily tied my 2 to the tree beside the table and rushed in the water but Maggie was being kept submerged with this dog having a hold of her neck. It all happened so fast and left us totally unprepared. The owner of the pitbull dove into the water and had a hold of his dogs collar, trying to choke it into letting go but it wouldn't. Maggie is limp, Joan and I are hysterically punching/kicking the dog to make it let go of Maggie but to no avail. All this noise drew the attention of 2 teenage boys (thank god for them) who came running down to the shore with a tree branch which they inserted under and against the pitbulls throat trying to choke it to lessen its grip on Maggie. It finally it released its grip and the owner dragged it onto shore. In the meantime Joan and I carried Maggie to the shore, we initially thought she was dead but started pumping on her chest and within a few minutes (although it seemed like forever) she was gasping for air, but her throat was really torn up, open gaping wounds and bleeding very badly. While we were trying to help Maggie the pitbull owner is again wrestling to gain control of his dog who is biting at his legs. All this noise has caught the attention of quite a few people but no one is getting out of their vehicles until this (HERO) volunteer firemen jumped out of his truck with his rifle and shot the pitbull. Needless to say we were all in shock. not to mention soaking wet and freezing. The fireman loaded Maggie and Joan into his truck and they raced to the nearest vets. By this time a cop car had arrived, call AC to cart off the pitbull and the 2 boys and I each sat in his car and wrote out our statements. AC called me later and told me this was a 4 yr. old neutered pitbull with no previous record of aggressive behaviour. I was so lucky that it hadn't gotten hold of my 2 little ones - they would not have survived this attack but poor Maggie, she has to stay at the vets for atleast 3 days, on IV antibiotics after surgery and 17 stitches to her throat. The vets are watching her for signs of pneumonia. This whole catastrophic event would never had happened if this dog had been wearing a muzzle as I believe some warrant. My 2 little ones are still shaking and don't even want to go into our fenced back yard without me accompanying them. What a day.

coppperbelle
May 14th, 2006, 07:17 PM
How awful. I hope Maggie will be okay. I am sure it will take a while for her emotional wounds to heal.
I once witnessed an awful attack also. It happened years ago but I remember it like yesterday.

susieqt
May 14th, 2006, 07:35 PM
What a horrible, horrible incident! You must have been freaking right out! Thank God that Maggie wasn't killed, she is really lucky. The pitbull's owner must be in a state of shock. I am praying for a speedy recovery for little Maggie and that she comes home soon.

glasslass
May 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
This was a tragedy all the way around for everybody, including the pitbull. The owner really should not have taken this dog to a dog park. Sounds like training issues, lack of control, and putting the dog in an environment when training and control were vital. This could have all been prevented if he had been responsible. Unfortunately this again puts pitbulls in an unfavorable light when responsible pitbull owners are trying so hard to comply with the laws and protect their pets. I'm so sorry for the trauma everyone has been through.

t.pettet
May 15th, 2006, 12:13 AM
This wasn't a dog park, just a place to stroll with your (leashed) dogs along a winding path beside the river. Alot of seniors meet and do their bird- watching here, they also contribute their gardening expertise in all the flower boxes and path borders and walk their dogs. Theres picnic tables, about 5 acres of grass with shade trees and a small beach. Have never heard of any problems here before today but if this guy had any indication that he might have control issues then they should'd have been out in public, especially since it was so dog aggressive. You'd think that after being beaten, kicked, submerged and choked it would have given up, but no, it was doing a real number on its owners legs and whatever other body part it could reach. If I had had a weapon on me I would't have hesitated to use it, that volunteer fireman saved the day. The pitts owner was also taken to the hospital on top of being charged by the cops and will have a substantial bill from Maggie's vet. Will know more about Maggie's recovery tomorrow, had she not been a large, healthy, young GSD she definitely wouldn't have survived.

Pugs Rule
May 15th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Please keep us updated on Maggie's recovery. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Prin
May 15th, 2006, 01:15 AM
What a day! :sad: I hope the doggy recovers well and your dogs don't have lasting memories of it. :sad: :grouphug:

Kerrye
May 15th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Hi
I know exactly how you feel. My dog Mikey was attacked and almost killed. They tell you not to get involved with the attack but you can't help it if your dog is being killed. Mikey survived by had some pretty bad gashes and hemorages.
I also was bitten.

I hope Maggie get better soon.

mom_to_many
May 15th, 2006, 08:46 AM
What a horrible thing to happen! I hope all turns out well for Maggie and your friend Joan who must be devastated! Fingers and paws crossed for Maggies recovery...and :grouphug: for you, Joan and your little ones! What a nightmare that must have been.

Copper'sMom
May 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM
What a horrible day! Poor Maggie, this will traumatic experience w ill be extremely difficult on her both physically and mentally for years to come.:sad: I hoper her and her owner recover completely.:grouphug:
The pitbull should have been muzzled as it is the law at present time. The owner was acting irresponsible IMO. And yes, he totally lacked being in control of his dog! If you can't control them, you shouldn't own them! But also, we don't know the owner's side of the story on the behaviours of his dog. Just because AC said there were no reports on this dog, it doesn't mean the dog has or hasn't been in any trouble before as many incidents go unreported - especially minor (nuisence)incidents.
I am so sorry for you and your friend that you had to experience something like this.

t.pettet
May 16th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Maggie is very weak, had to be given 2 units of blood, her larnyx was damaged but too early to tell to what extent, gross trauma to her neck which is hugely swollen, draining and raw and shes hooked up to an antibiotic iv. Her shoulder was dislocated with the impact which the vets re-set and she's heavily sedated with pain killers. Joan went to see her this a.m. but she is so sedated didn't even acknowledge her. Hope theres no psychological damage and she doesn't become aggressive with other dogs or on the other hand too scared to leave the house. Both Joan and I feel as though we did 10 rounds with the heavy weight champ of the world, every muscle hurts and it took forever to warm up - god that water was cold. My 2 little guys who witnessed it all are very velcroed and extra needy. Joan hasn't heard from AC as of today but will update when I learn more. Passing along all your well wishes to poor Maggie and her mum.

twodogsandacat
May 16th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Well I can hardly post against BSL on this board and ignore this posting here. Although I would prefer to not even have to admit it’s existence it does exist and nobody can deny that.

All I can say is that it should never have happened. As a victim of a pit bull attack I understand your opinions. My friend’s daughter dislikes German Shepherds after she was attacked by one yet she feels safe moving around a Rhody\Doberman mix.

Here in the Niagara Region we have had two dogs killed in the last year by other dogs none of which were pit bulls. I am sure that both dogs were loved by their owners and did not deserve to die in the manner that they did.

I hope you can understand that many of those opposed to BSL also want to see changes in the law to protect us (and our dogs) from all dangerous dogs no matter the breed. The work shouldn’t stop with getting the BSL out of the DOLA. It needs to continue.

A comment made by the court in the over turning of BSL in Ohio was along the lines of “why should it be any more illegal to own two good pit bulls than it is to own a single viscous dog”. That really says it all for me.

I hope Maggie heals both physically and emotionally. As I said it never should have happened.

mastifflover
May 16th, 2006, 12:13 PM
That is awful and I hope Maggie recovers. I am sorry but this dog should have been muzzled and even more important this dog needed to be trained. This is one more irresponsible owner in my mind and unfortunately an innocent dog and people were harmed. Buddy and I have fingers and paws crossed for Maggie.

meb999
May 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
How scary!! I don't know what I would've done.....

rainbow
May 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM
So sorry to hear of your ordeal. Poor Maggie....do hope she continues to improve:fingerscr - her mom must be going through hell right now.:(

glasslass
May 19th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Hi
I know exactly how you feel. My dog Mikey was attacked and almost killed. They tell you not to get involved with the attack but you can't help it if your dog is being killed. Mikey survived by had some pretty bad gashes and hemorages.
I also was bitten.

I hope Maggie get better soon.

When Den-Den was attacked, I looked out into the backyard to see one dog holding him by the throat and a second dog holding him by his back leg. He was suspended off the ground between them. You don't stop to think about it. I screamed and shouted and ran straight at them. Fortunately they dropped him and went back through the fence. We sold our home and moved to a home with a totally safe, secure yard. You do what you have to do to keep your furbabies safe. There isn't time to think about it.

Beaglemom
May 19th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Poor Maggie. That must have been the most frightening experience for all involved. Please do keep us updated on Maggie's condition.