Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male cat urinating everywhere.

Brat
May 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM
For the past few days, we've encountered a problem with my oldest male cat.
He is 9 months old, I have two other kittens that are 5 months old. (They are all brothers from two separate litters) They love eachother, play all the time..etc.

Last week, I changed the type of litter from clumping to pine. Unfortunately I did not make the switch gradually which I definitely should have. The two kittens have no problem with it. The 9 month old uses it as well, he poos in it. But for the past few days he's been peeing all over my house. I caught him once positioning himself on my curtains as I watched him. I thought he was sitting down to look at me. Little did I know he was squatting to take a nice looooong pee on my curtain. I jumped to him as soon as I smelled it, cleaned it up. It reaked for DAYS in my office room. Then my boyfriend and I started to notice the smell in the living room. It seems he peed in my fake plant. After cleaning that up, there was still a horrible stench and we couldn't find it! Finally today we found it.. he had peed all over a pillow we had.

I've only seen him do it once. I'm not sure if this means he is starting to mark his territory or he's spraying or he hates the new litter. I saw a male cat spray today and it's not what my boy does. :(

Also, about two weeks ago, we switched foods but really it started when we switched litters I think.

We have made a vet appointment this week and I think I'm going to set up another litter box with our old litter. Overall, he seems healthy and active as usual. Bouncing around, running after the little ones, etc.

My main question I guess is, is he marking his territory? Does he maybe not like the litter? (weird since he does poo and I believe sometimes pees in it)

Our apartment and clothes stink! BLECK! :confused:

SarahLynn123
May 14th, 2006, 04:59 PM
good for you for making the vet appointment! Make sure they do a urine test to check for an infection and crystals. That is what was causing my male cat to urinate EVERYWHERE!!! Male cats are prone to this as there urethra is very narrow and can be easily blocked:sad:

Also cats absolutly hate change, so it very well could be the litter! I would rule out the health issues first then try changing the litter back. Many cats do seem hate the pine litter, so hopefully this is the case.

Good luck!
Sarah

Lucky Rescue
May 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Are all these cats neutered?

glasslass
May 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Time to have Mama Cat spayed as well. At 9 mos, he is just becoming sexually mature. The odor will become worse. Neutering will solve a number of problems.

Brat
May 14th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Are all these cats neutered?

one at a time, we're starting with the one that has been peeing everywhere. He is going in this week to get neutered. The last two will follow within a month.

Brat
May 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Time to have Mama Cat spayed as well. At 9 mos, he is just becoming sexually mature. The odor will become worse. Neutering will solve a number of problems.
yeah really... I've been bothering my friend about getting her spayed. It's been years I've told him. I found good homes for 4 kittens out of 8. But he better get her spayed.