Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bilateral Distichiasis... in a ShihZu continued.

quiltbear
May 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Um... sorry for offending anyone. It was not my intentions. I am a family of 4 that thought we got a really really really nice dog for our family. Only a year later to find out she has a genetic downfall that was not noticed at her pick up from the breeder of 6 weeks of age when we got her. Actually, our vet said most cases are not diagnosed until 1 year in age. Also, it was not our intentions to pass the dog onto someone else to be a burden. There are many people whom are willing to pay anything for a dog, and in our case, it would be the vet bill, that's all. We are financially broke. My husband has been unemployed for 6 months at a time twice in the past 3 years. That has taken a tole on us, with large student loans to pay back and two young kids. I am a stay at home mom and daycare costs more then what i would make working.

So, all we are wondering is is anyone out there knows of someone, some donation, or even a place near Calgary Alberta where we could even get the surgery done at a much cheaper price.

If not, then maybe there is a foundation that could take her and do the surgery needed (usually the vet's vounteer the services for free) and adopt her out to a loving family.

WE just don't want to have to put her down, that's all.

Sorry for any offending. Some people really judge without knowing the whole story.

Thanks for listening.

White Wolf
May 14th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Please do not reopen closed issues.

The response is the same. Please contact the rescues in your area. They will be the ones most likely to point you in the right direction.

As stated in the Rules (http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=9&a=12),
Most people on this board will beg, borrow and max out their credit cards to see a veterinarian when their pets are ill.

If you read the rules, there is also a section on not being able to afford vet treatment.
If you cannot afford vet care - Check to see if your vet or another vet can take payments, or check to see if any veterinary school or college facility can help. Call your local humane shelter or a local rescue organization to see if they can help. The SPCA has written this (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/what_you_can_do_if_you_are_having_trouble_affordin g_veterinary_care.html) article that may help you with additional ideas. To avoid getting yourself in a financial bind, pet insurance is a great idea.

You should also contact your breeder because being that this issue is genetic, the breeder should take some responsibility for it.