Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bilateral Distichiasis... in a ShihZu

quiltbear
May 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Hi there, i have a one year old ShihZu, female. She has been diagnosed with this problemand we are trying to find some options to the cost of the surgery. I have had one quote, and they want $2000 plus canadian to do it with a 90% chance of no more needed. Now, i have phoned around and no one will give me another quote without a consult which is another $150 canadain. Way to much for me and my family to be spending. We are financially strapped and this is too much to pay. However, we dont' want to put Freya down either. We have phoned a few places, done some emailing and what not. Mostly our goal would be to find a place near Calgary, Alberta that could do the surgery cheap or free. If it means giving Freya up for adoption to have this done, that is ok. We just don't want to put her down over all this. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jesse's mommy
May 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM
So you would push the medical problems you have with the dog that YOU adopted for life onto someone else? What makes you think someone would do this for free? What makes you think a shelter would be able to afford this? Don't you think there are enough unwanted animals in shelters? And you have no problem just adding to it? Your dog is part of your family and is your responsibility! We all have financial problems and things are hard, but we manage and we do what we have to for our dog. Have you asked the vet about a payment plan? Or some type of credit care or financial assistance? I just can't believe that you would consider giving your dog away because of this. It's like you are willing to throw your dog away.

White Wolf
May 14th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Closed before it gets too nasty.

Please contact the rescues in your area for help.