Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food for geriatric cat who has hairballs

Barbara0409
May 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I have been mixing Purina for Sensitive Stomachs and Purina Hairball recipe for my car Zoey, but she is still throwing up hairballs almost daily. What kind of food is better than the one I am using. Be specific please. Thank you.

badger
May 14th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Is there any chance she's actually vomiting; it would be natural for hair to come up then, because they always have hair in their system.
Purina food is pretty poor quality, some would say crap. I have fed Natural Balance and Innova; right now I am feeding Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. There are many more, all good. I suggest you go to an animal supply store and get some samples. When you have made your choice, transfer from one food to the other over a few days.
This may ultimately take care of the hairball problem.

chico2
May 14th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I agree,Purina is crap and don't always believe because it says on the pack"hairball formula"or "sensitive stomache"formula,it's a sales-pitch,especially since Purina is loaded with fillers that does nothing for your cat.
Do as Badgers says,get a better food from a pet-food supplier,then if there is a hairball problem still,get meds specifically for that.
Brushing the cat often will also help,especially if he/she is longhaired.
Also,don't feel bad about having fed your cat Purina,a lot of people thinks it's perfectly fine,until they get informed,but it is really not good food,or anything else available at the grocery-store or Walmart.

White Wolf
May 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Your first TWO posts were closed because of the rules.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26732
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26731
Please do not reopen closed threads and change the story. The vomiting is "constant" (according to your first post) and an unusual and new occurrence (according to your second post) and the cat still needs to see a vet. This is not the place to seek an alternative to medical attention when it is required.

Thread closed. Please ONLY post about this issue again once you have been to a vet.