Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat not acting herself

Charly
December 30th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Dear Mr. or Ms. Vet

My 2 cats have a bad habit of bringing me mice, birds,etc. as presents. Problem is the mice they leave running around the apartment.

Yesterday we put out some small green pellets of mice poison out of the way (we thought) of the cats. My female calico loves to eat thread, little bugs etc off of the floor. Today i noticed a couple of green pellets on the floor that had been scooted out from under the stove or refrigerator area.

I think my calico cat ate some. What are symtoms of a cat that has been poisoned? She is very lethargic and refuses to move or eat. She is just curled up on her rug, breathing slowly.

Please email me asap.

charly

mona_b
December 30th, 2003, 09:49 PM
I suggest you take your cat to the vet ASAP.Some advise.NEVER put poison in your house when you have cats.I am not a vet.But you MUST take your cat to one.I hope yout kitty will be ok.:(

Carina
December 30th, 2003, 09:59 PM
I had a puppy who ate rat poison once; we were 50 miles from the nearest ER vet and I called to ask what to do. They said to dose him with hydrogen peroxide immediately to make him throw up & get it out of his stomach. He was fine.

But in your cat's case, it's probably too late for that to work...she really does need to be seen by a vet. Also call a poison control center & tell them the brand of poison she may have eaten; they can advise too. She is clearly very ill and this definitely sounds like poisoning; if so she is in extreme pain. She must be seen.

NB: Please nobody go out and make an animal throw up if its eaten something harmful! Some poisons, like caustic ones, will do more damage if vomited. Always call & find out what to do.