Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

xxx KITTENSxxx- birth process was unusual?

crimblelou
May 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM
:pawprint: i just wondered if anyone had come across this before on the 1st of may i got a call from my neighbour telling me that her cat had started having her kittens and they were a bit worried that it was comming out tail 1st now i have worked with dogs and cats for 15 years and seen many pups being born but not kittens now the 1st kitten was born without too much fuss then an hour later the second 1 started to be born again tail 1st was born after a little of assistance and help clearing its airways was fine they all settled down and went to sleep all content the day after i got a call at 12.30am 3rd may saying she was pushing again and they could see a tail so i went round again not holding much hope out for the kitten to be alive after a very long struggle of trying to deliver the kitten it was eventually born in the bag so i cleaned it up and cleared its mouth and to all our shocks it was alive 1 very big healthy kitten now i was wondering if any 1 had come across this before iv looked on many web sites and not seen any thing i also called the vet the next day and he was quiet shocked that the kitten was alive so any info will be appreciated i have now changed my job title to mum-dog groomer-midwife 24n hr call out lol thanks for takin the time to read this xx:pawprint:

abudamunky
May 27th, 2006, 07:20 PM
my little miracle kitten yacko was born breeched(tail first) and 'popped'(w/out his sack). like humans, being born breeched is dangerous b/c the imbilical cord could be wrapped around the neck or they could suffocate/get stuck. the only thing i had to do for my baby(he was the littlest of the 5 and the last, about 2 hours after his brother holden was born) i kinda, just pulled him out, mommy didn't mind as she decided to wake me up and have the litter IN MY BED!
cats have been known to go into labor many hours later, i think it can be up to a day, mommy was probably very tired from the others being breech and all. (i watch a lot of discovery channel)
keep a close eye on the babies and if mommy neglects any of them take to a vet ASAP, mommy will ignore a kitten if she thinks it's sick.

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Wow thats quite a miracle isn't it?
I've never came across this before... but wow...

crimblelou
July 25th, 2006, 06:00 PM
well im glad to let you all know all the 3 kittens did great and are all in new homes now iv got 1 here they kept 1 themselfs and the other is just around the corner mine goes 4 her second jabs on friday and then spaying as soon as she is old enough so no more babies and the mum went a few weeks ago to be done so alls well with them all :thumbs up

jesse's mommy
July 25th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Woo Hoo! I'm glad everything worked out well and these babies found good homes. :thumbs up

Lissa
July 26th, 2006, 08:01 PM
That's great and thanks for updating us! Any pictures?:)

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Crimblelou, that's great news. :highfive: