Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Important Information

rainbow
May 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I got this from another dog forum:

PERMISSION TO CROSS POST

In a message dated 5/12/2006 7:33:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, LptimmTruckin writes:
Hi!

Please click on the following link to read the item:
_http://daily.washpost.com/Repository/ml.asp?Issue=WPost/2006/05/12&ID=Ar00105
&Mo\
de=HTML_
(http://daily.washpost.com/Repository/ml.asp?Issue=WPost/2006/05/12&ID=Ar00105&Mode=HTML)

(http://daily.washpost.com/Repository/ml.asp?Issue=WPost/2006/05/12&ID=Ar00105&Mode=HTML)

Laurryn~
"Got Dogs?"

OntarioGreys
May 13th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Not really surprising , it will be like a repeat of Rimadyl, it also made the Washington Post during its time and it is still here despite causing the deaths of hundreds of dogs, only difference now is that there is a product insert that comes with the packaging that includes death as one of the adverse side effects of the drug, which protects Pfizer from further lawsuits.

Diane a friend of mine lost a dog to rimadyl was reported death #42 in a class action law suit
http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html
Death #42:
Pfizer Sees "Two a Month" of this Type of Reaction
Breed: Greyhound (female, "Eliza Jane")
Reason for Rimadyl rx: suspected pinched nerve
When reaction occurred following initial dose: 5 weeks
Symptoms: bruising, blood in ear, vomiting and urinating blood (progressive over 5 days)
Date of death: November 9, 1998
Vet informed about side effects: Vet is as informed as possible--told me about possible liver problems, initial blood work done
Owner's Remarks: "Necropsy results in short: no bone cancer; hemolytic anemia (drug induced cannot be ruled out). One vet at Pfizer said she sees two of these a month. How many more go unreported? It seemed to be no big deal to her. Two a month is small compared to how many dogs take this medication is what I was told. Well, it is a big deal to me. I am dismayed by the lack of concern of vets who attribute deaths and reactions to old age, or simply tell their distraught clients that tests to prove Rimadyl was the cause are too expensive. If I was in their place, I would pay for the tests. As a health care provider, I would want to know if a drug I was prescribing did have these kinds of side effects. I have heard from the vets that updates they receive from Pfizer down play side effects. I think Pfizer needs to be responsible in drug information to
the vets, and provide printed material for the vets to give to owners of dogs receiving this drug."
Burpdog@email.msn.com
This is an abbreviated report; complete report available upon request to

[7/16/99 Update to Death #42:
Suspect Only 10% of Deaths from Rimadyl Are Reported
"Many vets I know have changed their screening procedures and follow up due to Eliza's and other Rimadyl-related deaths. At the kennel I use, of a total of 8 or 9 dogs on Rimadyl, all but one died not long after being put on the drug. None but Eliza's have been reported. This leads me to suspect that only about 10% of the actual deaths from Rimadyl are being reported. It has been eight months since Eliza's death; I will never forget. It was such a violent, horrible death. Along with many people I know, I have turned to acupuncture, chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, vitamins C and E and chiropractic treatment -- and away from prescription drugs."
Breed: Greyhound (female, "Eliza Jane")
Reason for Rimadyl rx: suspected pinched nerve
When reaction occurred following initial dose: 5 weeks
Symptoms: bruising, blood in ear, vomiting and urinating blood (progressive over 5 days)
Date of death: November 9, 1998
Vet informed about side effects: Vet is as informed as possible--told me about possible liver problems, initial blood work done
Remarks on Dog's Rimadyl Experience: "Necropsy results in short: no bone cancer; hemolytic anemia (drug induced cannot be ruled out). One vet at Pfizer said she sees two of these a month. How many more go unreported? It seemed to be no big deal to her. Two a month is small compared to how many dogs take this medication is what I was told. Well, it is a big deal to me. I am dismayed by the lack of concern of vets who attribute deaths and reactions to old age, or simply tell their distraught clients that tests to prove Rimadyl was the cause are too expensive. If I was in their place, I would pay for the tests. As a health care provider, I would want to know if a drug I was prescribing did have these kinds of side effects. I have heard from the vets that updates they receive from Pfizer downplay side effects. I think Pfizer needs to be responsible in giving drug information to the vets, and should provide printed material for the vets to give to owners of dogs receiving this drug."

The class action lawsuit did management to force Pfizer to include a product insert that includes death as an adverse side effect of the the drug, and though they claimed no wrong doing awarded each plaintiff in the class action a $1000, which did not even come close to paying off Dianes vet bills for Eliza Jane.

Any nsaids can cause hemorrage even aspirin and care is needed to watch for adverse side effects and periodic bloodtesting should be done on any pets taking on a long term basis as they can damge the liver and kidneys.

Diane now tries to warns others about the dangers of nsaids and provides info about alternatives for managing pain

This same site discusses different drugs and treatments that can be used for treating arthritis includes side effects as well
http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/care.cd.html#Arthritis