Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is eating her poop and vomit!

Karine
December 30th, 2003, 06:44 PM
This is a nice site. Congratulations!

I am babysitting my friend's dog for the Holidays. She is an Old English Sheepdog who is 11 years old. I noticed today as I put her out that she vomitted after only a few minutes in the snow. She then started eating her vomit. Gross! Time for me to put my boots and coat to get outside and pick it up that, not only she had finished to eat her vomit, she had started eating her poop! Oubviously I picked it up so she stops eating it!

She seemed fine after that and I got her inside the house as it was getting dark. She came upstairs with me, layed down for half an hour, got up, started whinning and pucked again.

I know her owner just changed her food to a chicken and rice mixture in kibbles as she was getting diarrhea on the previous stuff. She doesn<t look in pain or anything.

What to do?

Lucky Rescue
December 30th, 2003, 07:56 PM
As revolting as it is to us, dogs commonly eat vomit and stool.

More of a concern is an 11 year old dog who is suddenly vomiting and having diarrhea. A change in food could cause loose stools, but the vomiting is another thing.

Can you call the owner and get her permission to take the dog to a vet if this continues longer than a day or two?

Keep an eye on her. Take her out to "go" and do not send her out. That way you can keep her from eating stool and see if the symptoms continue. Make sure she is drinking, so she won't get dehydrated. Feed her only her food and nothing else.

amaruq
December 31st, 2003, 09:50 AM
Ok i know this is gross!!!!

My dal does this but i think it cause she is food aggressive. She thinks someone else might take it EWWWWWW!

Don't forget wolves regurgitate food for pups. Well the poop thing i have no explanation for that other then don't let the dog kiss you :)