Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help...my kitten has a big belly !!!

nudawa
May 13th, 2006, 01:23 AM
My 1,5-month female kitten is having a strangely big belly, I used the medicine to kill the worms and many worms came out but her belly is still big. It is extended on both side but she's still eating, sleeping and playing well...So what's wrong with her ??? The vet said that water is stored in her belly and she must has a surgery, but, she's still too young and it's too dangerous to for her to have a surgery. Besides, as i said, she's still eating, sleeping and playing well so if she had water stored in her belly, she would not have a good health condition like that. Please tell me what to do...

nudawa
May 14th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Oh please, I'm very worried now....Please respond !!!

cpietra16
May 14th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Sorry I hear your worries but You need to take her to the vets, or call them and tell them exactly what you see and they may either tell you to bring her in or not to worry. Know one can tell you without seeing her. Please take her in. Good luck

chico2
May 14th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Nudawa,Sorry,but maybe people are not answering,because like me,a lifetime cat-owner,they have not experienced a kitten with"water"in his belly,or surgery to remove it.
The only suggestion I can give you,is to take her to another vet.
At 1 1/2month(6 weeks),she should still be with her mother IMO.
Please do not try to"cure"her yourself with store-bought dewormers,you could do more harm than good. Good Luck!

Lucky Rescue
May 14th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Right. I've had countless cats and kittens and have no idea what this means.

Is this kitten using the litterbox regularly, several times a day?

What are you feeding? Did you get the dewormer from a vet?

And yes, at 6 weeks kittens are very fragile and need a lot of care.

kayla
May 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Was your kitten recently quite sick? Diarrhea, vomitting? I had a kitten with something similar. He was very very sick (even after 3 stool samples we never did figure out what was causing it) but we was on all sorts of medicine for worms and parasites. After he had taken the meds his belly became HUGE and very tight to the touch. Back to the vet we went but the only thing she thought it could be was protein deficiency. I don't know if you've seen pictures of starving children with huge bellies but it is the same thing. When the body goes into starvation water collects around the organs as a protective measure. Perhaps this is what your vet meant by water in the belly. In my case my kitten had to go on a special bland high protein diet fed several times a day (took about a week for the belly to go back to normal).

I personally think you should call your vet back and ask what she meant by water in the belly and if there is anything you can do for it since you can't do the surgery yet. Most vets are very helpful over the phone (if yours isn't you should get another vet). Please let us know how it goes and best of luck with your new family member.