Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Urinating around house

scarletpit
May 12th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I have 2 cats, male and female, they are litter mates. I have 2 litter boxes. I clean the litter boxes daily. My male cat has a problem with urinating on the carpet around the house. I have taken him to the vet before and each time I have taken him I have found out that he either has a bladder infection or crystals in his urine. He does not seem to drink enough water. He will not eat wet food, he will not eat any type of people food which includes tuna. I have tried a fountain for water for him, he won't go near it. I change the water in the water bowl a couple times a day. I turn on the water in the bathtub for him whenever I go into the bathroom, he follows me and drinks the water. He just does not seem to get enough water. I don't want to put him down. But I can't have him urinating everywhere. I have tried to use Feliway (sp) to keep him from not using these areas but he returns back to them.

My question is: What can I do? Is there a daily medication that can help with this? When I have taken him to the Vet they put him on an antibiotic, but he seems to get the infection back frequently.

mafiaprincess
May 12th, 2006, 01:06 PM
But if in past he has peed on the carpet because of a uti or crystals.. He's not doing it to spite you he's ill. You need to go back to the vet.

Even thinking about possibly having to put him down because he needs vet care again is frowned upon by most.

Have you tried multiple brands of wetfood? Cats are finicky, there's got to be something he'll like.

Lucky Rescue
May 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
This is a very common problem in male cats who eat dry food. Then the discomfort and pain of passing crystals makes the cat feel that the litterbox is causing the problem, therefore he will avoid it. Feliway etc. won't do anything if he's in discomfort.

Agree with mafiaprincess. You must get him eating canned food. Try something really tempting, like Fancy Feast Salmon pate and see if he'll eat that.
Take up the dry food and let him get hungry first.

SarahLynn123
May 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
According ot my vet, there is a dry food you can get from the vet, royal canin urinary so, that is suppose to prevent crystals. We haven't had a problem lately but it is to soon for us tell right now with our male cat. (We had the exact same problem)

Definatly try different kinds of wet food.